I CAN QUIT YOU!!! (or 5dp FET)

by statia on June 28, 2006

I’ve decided that I have a little habit. It’s not really anything out of control or something that I can’t stop at anytime, really. I swear. It started with an innocent idea, which I thought would become a passing hobby that I’d toss aside and forget about. But the idea didn’t die, oh no. It slowly snowballed itself into this enormous habit that we now have and while it’s a great time passer for the inevitable dragging two week wait, if I told you the insane amount of money we’ve spent on “stickas” (and you have to say stickas because we’re from Long Island and that’s what they rightfully should be called) you’d probably choke on your ham. In fact, we haven’t even tallied it up because it would just be too sad to know that we’re THAT lame to spend so much money on something you can really only use once.

And this isn’t some loosely thought out hobby either. Oh no. Stickabooking is a craft to be mastered. First, there’s the ebaying. Never bid on an auction until the last minute. Esniping is the way to go. Esniping is the equivalent of being a cat in the grass. Lay very low, and very still, quietly watching the others mill around your shank of beef until the very last second wherein, you POUNCE on that auction like the king of the jungle that you are, silently laughing to yourself at the other person that you outbid at the last second.

Arranging the sticka book is great therapy for those of you who are trying to overcome your OCD. Because you can secretly tell yourself, that while you’re working on fixing the problem, rules are rules and you can’t go breaking the rules now can you? All I can say is that if I were to come across my 7 year old self, I would tell her the rules of organizing the perfect sticka book and she’d probably kick me in the face and say “where in your life did you make the wrong turn from perpetual slob to anal retentive organization whore?” And then she’d go back to organizing her sticka book like the slob that she, I mean I was. How many of you would peel them off and move them, leaving a big old sticky mess that looked hideous? How many of you actually STUCK THE BORDER of your stickas in your sticker book when you had no more left? How many of you put fuzzy stickas with puffy stickas? THERE IS NO CROSS CATEGORIZATION IN THE STICKA BOOK. Shiny stickers on one page, puffies on another, sniff stickers on another. Mixing them up is a crime. And it’s not easy when they make characters that are sparkly and christ where the hell do they go? I have a character page and a sparkly page. WHAT THE HELL AM I GOING TO DO NOW???

Seeing as how I ended up not finding my dream sticker book, I went out and bought a purple 3 ring binder with some magnetic photo pages and got creative. This is how I spend my nights. And when I’m not organizing the sticka book, I’m looking through it, fondling the pages, petting it and sniffing all of the stickas inside.

Now, if you’ll excuse me, I need to go check in on my ebay auctions.

Camille June 28, 2006 at 7:20 pm

you crack me up! i love your sticka book, btw.

Meg June 28, 2006 at 8:08 pm

Ooh Ooh Statia, can we have pictures, please please please? I actually never used to stick my stickers, because I could never think of a special enough place to put them. (How much our sticker habits reveal about us; it’s the new psychoanalysis)

Lut C. June 29, 2006 at 12:13 am

Your new hobby certainly beats mine: mending my clothes. The opposite of retail therapy.

I’m with Meg. If I use that sticker there, won’t I regret it?

thalia June 29, 2006 at 3:25 am

Wow, you’ve just introduced me to a new world. Am now going to be sitting on ebay, wasting even more of my time.

Chris June 29, 2006 at 5:50 am

You post about stickers, I post about mixed CDs and music. We’re both OCD. Obsessive compulsives unite!

girl June 29, 2006 at 6:14 am

I’m thinking that you should be checking into the LOONEY BIN, not your ebay auctions. :-P I mean that in the nicest way possible, of course. xo

Molly June 29, 2006 at 6:37 am

You know, I was going to make fun of you, but then I remembered that I have a stamp collection. And 40 Barbra Streisand albums. And then I decided not to.

Some Girl June 29, 2006 at 6:50 am

This is probably going to get me laughed at, but hey, that’s why I’m here: “sticka books?” What are they? Did I miss something when I was younger? Is this just another case of my mom keeping me from doing what all the cool kids were doing?

(I’m from Boston, so I am down with saying sticka. Also numba, as is evidenced by my voicemail at work.)

Merrin June 29, 2006 at 7:57 am

You even have to be careful with the sniffy stickers. You can’t mix the smells on a page, otherwise all you’ll smell is poo.

Donna June 29, 2006 at 12:28 pm

Oh dear. Sounds like someone needs an intervention.

Beth June 29, 2006 at 1:54 pm

I would mock you, but I collect 45 records so I don’t have much leeway to talk. I *heart* Mrs. Grossman stickers that come on the roll.

ciz June 29, 2006 at 1:56 pm

take some pictures n post them …
plus they better be super duper when i come and visit you one of these days
lol

Kathy June 29, 2006 at 6:26 pm

DO NOT DISRESPECT THE STICKA BOOK!

Dude this is beyond a hobby… I think we need a 12 step program.

I can stop whenever I want to… I just don’t want to.

Dusty June 30, 2006 at 2:58 am

I am an e-bay-aholic. I freely admit this..but my addiction is to the Gotham City Online shoes..I have literally bought over 500 bucks worth of shoes..but the way I explain it to the ball n’chain is this: baby..I paid 15 bucks for a pair of shoes that retail for 75 bucks..wotta deal.
He doesn’t buy it.. :p To him, I still blew $500 BUCKS on friggin shoes.