if it weren’t for bad luck, I’d have no luck at all.

by statia on May 3, 2006

You know what really pisses me off? When you spend 15+ THOUSAND dollars for fertility treatments, and the women in the office have the gall to be fucking bitchy to you when you call in and ask questions about your upcoming appointment.

I mean, come on. What the fuck? I’ve had it up to here with these people. I understand you’re seeing tons of patients, but did it ever occur to you that in this BUSINESS, you have to have some compassion?

DD May 3, 2006 at 11:35 am

As a BUSINESS, they need to remember we aren’t just hormonal, hopeful women, but CUSTOMERS. If other businesses treated their customers like REs do, they’d be out of business.

They have us by the nipples and they know it. Assholes.

EJW May 3, 2006 at 11:58 am

Call them on it. You are paying for their services and you have a choice about where to go and whether or not to go to them, and they should treat you a) like the valued customer you are and b) like the medical patient, whose health (and whole health: physical AND mental and emotional) they are caring for.

As medical professionals, they swore to “do no harm.” Being bitchy on the phone to IVF patients counts as harm in my mind.

Donna May 3, 2006 at 12:02 pm

Every front office staff I’ve ever seen need to have their collective asses kicked. I agree, calling them on it might save the next person from being treated quite so badly. Bitches.

donna May 3, 2006 at 12:20 pm

I had to get bitchy at first with my REI because they were acting like I should just know how the process worked with my meds. I got snippy and they started treating me a lot nicer. But it never should have taken me losing my patience to get treated that way.

Camille May 3, 2006 at 6:03 pm

I’m with EJW. You totally have the right to call them on it and put them in their place. You are their customer – the reason they have job! If you want me to call on your behalf, just let me know. I’ll be glad to turn their light on for them!

akeeyu May 3, 2006 at 10:05 pm

Really? Erm…my RE’s staff is really nice. I’ve called crying thrice, and every time, it’s been “Oh, honey, I’ll get you a nurse right away–would you like me to pull one out of rounds for you?”

I think your RE’s staff needs to be bitchslapped into humanity.

Linda May 3, 2006 at 10:56 pm

Oh boy. I know exactly who you’re talking about, and she is like that to me, too. I think it’s mostly her general MO with everyone, us and coworkers.

Want me to bitchslap her for you when I see her tomorrow?

thalia May 4, 2006 at 4:17 am

I’m lucky that my clinic is always pretty nice but they keep me on hold for HOURS which is just as irritating. Sorry you’re having to deal with all this crap.

Chris May 4, 2006 at 8:49 am

I think that amount of money entitles you to some sort of compassion. The sad thing, though, is they should be compassionate regardless of the amount of money that changes hands.

I know. I’m an idealist. I live to be dissappointed.

Nicole May 4, 2006 at 9:33 am

I can totally relate. When I had my very first RE appointment the receptionist bitched at me for not having my insurance approval code, despite noone telling me to get one, and she made me stand on the phone to get it before letting the doc know I was there. She’s never been nice and really deserves a smack up the side of her head.

Ornery May 4, 2006 at 3:43 pm

That is so damn infuriating. My clinic has some really incompetent folks staffing the front desk, but that’s not nearly as piss-worthy as dealing with bitchy attitudes. Dr. Stache should be told about his asshole staff and the fact that, as a paying customer, you deserve far, far better treatment.