If it gets any worse, I might lose my internet privileges.

by statia on May 23, 2006

Last night we started talking about our childhood sticker books. Which in turn sparked surfing the internet for our most favorite stickers.

Being that I suffer from severe Peter Pan syndrome, I’ve made it my life’s mission to get myself a new sticker book. I’ve been scouring ebay all day long, ordering stickers for said sticker book, that I don’t even have yet. (And just like my dire NEED for things like Sea Wee’s, My Little Ponies, old school Cabbage Patch’s, Dolly Pop’s and Mad Ball’s, I can see my interest in this falling by the wayside and the sticker book thing dying a horrible death)

Who here had a sticker book? I lived and DIED by my sticker book. My cousin and I would totally trade stickers, and she’d always sucker me into giving her my best stickers. Looking back, my sticker book looked like shit, and I would totally CONSTANTLY rearrange my stickers until they lost their stickiness or ripped. And then I’d try to tape the fuckers back onto the page. I remember Lisa Frank stickers were THE shit and my mother would never buy them for me, which made me a sticker book loser. The colors!! The pretty colors!! The Meester and I had a lot of fun over at this site looking at all of the vintage stickers we remembered. I can’t believe how many of these I had. The trend brand was probably my favorite scratch n’ sniff with a tie between the Mello Smello and Creative Teaching press collection. Don’t even get me STARTED on puffy stickers. Or the liquid filled ones.

Brandon May 23, 2006 at 3:09 pm

Did you ever lick your scratch and sniff sticker because it smelled so good, that you just knew it would taste good too? Only to find out that the taste was WAY different and not at all pleasing?

No? Me neither.

Tanya May 23, 2006 at 3:17 pm

I had the puffy ones with googly eyes. *happy sigh*

Empress May 23, 2006 at 3:22 pm

I’m too old for this, I think (the best I had was stars that you had to lick to get them to stick), but you did get me thinking about Colorforms. Did you ever have them? I LOVED them! Those little black slabs where you had to line up the Colorforms when you put them back after using them. They all had to line up JUST SO. I smell a post here…

Camille May 23, 2006 at 4:06 pm

I remember having a sticker collection in 4th grade, but sadly I don’t remember hardly any of the ones I had. After viewing your links, I remembered having the Trend Grape Jelly and Trend Pickle, but those were the only ones that “jumped” out at me. Other than that I specifically remember having a “squooshy” (a.k.a. liquid filled) butterfly that was blue. It must’ve been my favorite since its the one I think of when I remember my sticker collection. I wish I still had mine. How fun would that be to go back through your own personal sticker collection? I remember scratching so many scratch and sniffs too many times so that the face of the sticker would scrath off. Ahhh…4th grade. Such a great time.

Erin May 23, 2006 at 4:29 pm

I had a sticker book, and my favorite were the oily-liquid filled ones that turned greenish-blue when you pressed on them.

But my favorite thing by far from that era was the pen that you shook and it wrote in silver paint with different color outlines, like pink/aqua/purple, etc.

dusty May 23, 2006 at 5:27 pm

I have never.had.a.sticker.book.

wtf are they and why do people collect them?

Mary Scarlet May 23, 2006 at 5:29 pm

oh my god puffy stickers, but SEE WEES!?!! we loved the see wees. we had them from the original three and i of course was the brunette (i can’t remember her name!). i accidentally threw my corky out the window during a long car trip with my cousins. the wailing and weeping … do you remember those colored plastic boxes, too? i didn’t have a book for my stickers, we used to hoard them in many clear colored plastic boxes. which, by the way, they sell in EVERY SIZE at the Container Store, i found out last month. i had to be physically restrained.

Robber Barren May 23, 2006 at 6:20 pm

OMG I totally had a sticker book…and I completely forgot about it until right now!

Dooneybug May 23, 2006 at 6:23 pm

Oh hells yeah I had a sticker book! Lisa Frank’s were the bomb in my sticker ring too – as were their line of pencils and notebooks. I think I finally threw out my sticker book a few years ago when I came across it in a box of childhood stuff in the basement.

geeky May 23, 2006 at 7:17 pm

scratch and sniff! i definitely had a sticker book. i wonder what happened to it? i hope i didn’t throw it out…

we also collected erasers in elementary school. did anyone else do that?

ps. nice design!

Kathy May 23, 2006 at 7:47 pm

Dude… PICKLE!

And this new layout is totally cute.

BB May 23, 2006 at 8:04 pm

Lisa Frank was the best! I found my old sticker book recently. Somehow, I even thought it was cool to keep the AAA stickers that came in the mail to try to get my parents to join.

waiting line May 23, 2006 at 9:06 pm

dude, I had a sticker book in 8th grade. don’t remember much else, except the clepto desire to steal every sticker I could find from the mall – but that’s another story.

awesome new design on your blog, by the way. just awesome. :-)

Jonathan May 24, 2006 at 2:23 am

The closest I came to a sticker book – Garbage Pale Kids. Those rock. I still have a bunch of them boxed away somewhere.

Lori May 24, 2006 at 5:20 am

Oh the stickers!! My mom worked for a company that made stickers and she could get them for free so I had an overflowing sticker collection. But I only got the really cool Lisa Frank one’s as a treat. Those were the days…

jen May 24, 2006 at 6:54 am

wow. That threw me back so hard it hurt…

I LOVED scratch n sniff stickers. And puffy stickers. And Lisa Frank stickers. Good LORD woman…

Nostalgia hurts sometimes…

*cries for childhood*

lol

girl May 24, 2006 at 6:57 am

I heart scratch ‘n sniff stickers. they’re the best.

Helen May 24, 2006 at 7:56 am

Holy crap I remember those puffy oily green ones Erin mentions. I think I just orgasmed from the memory of how much I loved them.

But then I saw your site and loved it, although I’m pretty tired and have had a bad day, so I think the polka dots gave me seizures.

April May 24, 2006 at 8:01 am

Oh. I loved my sticker book – and remember how sad you’d be when the puffy ones would finally split apart, showing the little thin foam in them? *sigh*

And Lisa Frank rocked. Crazy shaped color erasers, spiral notebooks with unicorns, sparkly pencils.

Wow. I think I just regressed amazingly

Love the new site.

Chris May 24, 2006 at 10:01 am

My god. You just transported me back – ahem – 25 years or so. I’d completely forgotten about those! Thanks for that. It was kinda nice.

Lisa May 24, 2006 at 12:26 pm

Lisa Frank stickers ROCKED. I had the sticker books, the folders, the stationery, whatever she came out with.

Hell, I’ll be 34 in a couple of months and I STILL collect stickers.

And My Little Ponies. And Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Star Wars. Comic books…

Ah, yes…good ‘ol Peter Pan Syndrome…

Merrin May 24, 2006 at 4:04 pm

Scratch-n-sniff (did you ever have the ones that smelled like motor oil?), puffy stickers, squooshy stickers…I had about 12 sticker books. Lisa Frank stickers were particularly coveted.

Jenny May 25, 2006 at 5:57 am

I loved my barbie sticker books. Patti-Ann always screwed me and left with a million doubles, I still hate her.

jen May 25, 2006 at 2:16 pm

This post made me so happy. I talk now and then about having a sticker book and trading stickers in elementary school, and my friends look at me like I’ve gone green. I went to a very small school — there were seven girls and 13 boys in my class from first to sixth grade. When recess was inside due to weather, the girls traded stickers and the boys traded baseball cards.

Except for The Year of the Yo-Yo. Then it was all about the Duncans.

cinders December 31, 2006 at 10:58 pm

I totally found my sticker book the last time I moved.

But forget Cabbage Patch Kids, remember Garbage Pail Kids? My book was filled with them.