He gives new meaning to “want to touch my lizard?”

by statia on May 13, 2006

Ever since we got Louie, my husband has become a bit of a lizard nut, to say the least. For a good 3 weeks it was nothing but skink talk in our house. To the point of me saying “SHUT UP ABOUT THE DAMN LIZARD ALREADY.”

Now, I will admit, I don’t mind lizards really. I love our little leopard gecko, Henry. He’s a cool little guy with a great disposition and personality. That and he doesn’t have teeth.

Now, before we got the skink, he eyed it every week in the pet store. Now that we have the skink, he now covets a tegu, which are bigger than Miss M…..

……(this is me, blankly staring with a straight face)

So he found a place that sells tegus locally and I made it clear that we were going to “just look” at the lizards. We saw the tegus. I nearly choked on my tongue at the actual enormity of these things. And after it nearly took the Meester’s hand off, I was no longer interested in the tegu.

We did, however, come home with a new gecko.

Meet Sammy, our new baby fat tailed gecko. I looked at him for about 3.2 seconds and said “we’ll take him.” So much for just looking.

Lots of people go out and get “miscarriage” cats, or dogs. Us? We get “infertility lizards.”

MsPrufrock May 14, 2006 at 3:12 am

Ooo…Sammy is adorable.

I grew up with snakes and lizards, but The Dude isn’t so keen on them. A shame really, because I would like a little lizard collection someday. I’m not feeling the skink thing though, as I’ve never really liked the look of them. Perhaps it’s the word putting me off. Skink. Skink. I should like it, as close as it is to “skank”, and that’s a great word.

Anyway, we once pondered a tegu when I was young, but I think my Mom was also put off by its size. For the time, we stuck with anoles and geckos.

skits May 14, 2006 at 3:48 am

Sammy is very, very cute. How do the others feel about him? Wait. Didn’t I ask you that? Well, maybe I really REALLY want to know.

*pinch*

Jonathan May 14, 2006 at 4:12 am

I still think you should break the law and get a ferret.

Sami May 14, 2006 at 9:47 am

I think infertility lizards are definitely a twist… Sammy is very cute. Tegu’s I think it’s a good thing you said no as I can envision the ER visit posts. Good luck with Sammy!

Annastazia May 14, 2006 at 10:14 am

Sammy is very cute. I love his coloring. Unfortunately, due to constant geico commercials, I now automatically assume he has a british accent. Does he?

The Meeeeester May 14, 2006 at 11:57 am

@Sami: I wasn’t too worried that it tried to go after my finger. She was just hangry. And, the meeeeeses knows that I am completely smitten with the idea of getting a tegu. Definitely want a female, however.

@Annastazia: He has more of a high mafioso accent.

Mary Scarlet May 14, 2006 at 12:02 pm

He’s totally cute!

geeky May 14, 2006 at 6:22 pm

sammy is cute! all your leezards are awesome.

Donna May 14, 2006 at 8:12 pm

My meester had a 12-foot female riticulated python named Siba Khan when I met him. When we moved in together she had to go, I was afraid she would get out of her cage and eat my cat (she was only 7 pounds). Anyway, your new addition is very cute!

Robber Barren May 15, 2006 at 6:59 am

Aw! What a cutie!

Chris May 15, 2006 at 8:02 am

Sammy’s cute. But did he save you any money on your car insurance?

(Come on…someone had to do it!)

thalia May 15, 2006 at 8:43 am

Ok, I’m surprised, but I agree he is VERY cute. Who woulda thunk it? How many is your limit with these lizards?

Linda May 16, 2006 at 1:49 pm

We just signed up to adopt a pair of rescue Siamese kittens. Oh geez, are J and I predictable or what. Have a failed IVF cycle, get a pet? Well, whatever works. Right?