Prepare for landing

by statia on March 20, 2006

We are ready for retrieval. Today’s follicle check showed a nice display of my ovaries resembling swiss cheese. The sign of readiness for the HCG trigger shot, which comes for me, not a moment too soon. It hurts to sleep on my back, it hurts to sleep on my stomach, it hurts to sleep on my side, which leaves me either sleeping while standing or sleeping on my head. Neither of these are going to work for me. This also brings a huge sigh of relief since I’m feeling like major ass right now and I’d like to toss my cookies at every turn.

I know that my fellow infertile bitches have probably come across this before, but it stands to be repeated because fucking christ on a sidecar, what the FUCK gives people the right to come into an infertility office with their screaming toddlers? I’m sorry but this goes beyond rude. It’s completely thoughtless. Get a sitter or leave them in the car* or something. The women gave us this embarrassed look as her toddlers whined and cried and god damn right you’d better look ashamed and embarrassed. The one place that I go to NOT expect to see kids in the waiting room.

We got our IVIg perscription this morning, but after much discussion and a lot of going back and forth about the “what ifs” it’s creeping into our minds, we’re standing firm on our decision. It’s only a reccomendation by our doctor and of course, rereading Thalia’s previous entry about her Dr’s thoughts on IVIg, it put’s the final nail in the coffin. So that’s that. We’re taking our chances. I appreciate the support from everyone on our decision. I know those of you that have done it, and I respect your decision as well, because this is definitely a tough one.

I’m kidding. Don’t leave your kids in the car.

thalia March 20, 2006 at 2:06 pm

Ha. You sound about ready for retrieval to me. That whole swiss cheese thing of course is not something that my ovaries can manage, but I’m glad that yours are up to it. Have fun with that trigger shot…

Merrin March 20, 2006 at 2:21 pm

Mmmmmmm. Swiss cheese.
Seriously, though….good luck!

EJW March 20, 2006 at 3:03 pm

Good luck, good luck, good luck! We’re all hoping for a quick and easy retrieval.

Jenn March 20, 2006 at 3:24 pm

Good luck!

Julianna March 20, 2006 at 3:29 pm

Good luck with the trigger! Thinking of you.

Jen-Again March 20, 2006 at 5:20 pm

Good luck…and it was totally cool enough here today to have left the kids in the car.*

*also kidding, but sheesh what are some people thinking?!?

Beth March 20, 2006 at 5:34 pm

Good Luck Statia

donna March 20, 2006 at 6:20 pm

I know what you mean! Some lady brought her baby in a stroller in one day when I was there. Is that REALLY called for? I don’t think so.

I did a quick search in IVIg and I can see why you wouldn’t want to do it.

Good luck with the retrieval!

Camille March 20, 2006 at 7:15 pm

Thinking about you….

akeeyu March 20, 2006 at 8:28 pm

The day they told me I might be cancelled, there was a baby crying in the next room while I was crying and getting my blood drawn, and I just. wanted. to. die.

Enjoy the retrieval drugs!

skits March 21, 2006 at 4:26 am

Good luck, lady. *mwah*

Meira Voirdire March 21, 2006 at 7:00 am

This reminds me– after a successful cycle, I was in the RE’s office with ultrasound pictures and asked her if it was better not to flaunt the fact that I was pregnant by hiding my ultrasound pictures before I left the exam room. She said that I should not hide them– rather I should show them off to give the other women hope. I’m not sure if I agree with that, and to top it off, now i wonder if it actually served as advertising for her.

PaintingChef March 21, 2006 at 7:13 am

OH!!! Good luck!!! I hope it all goes well!!! I’m pretty sure that your current state gave you every right to rip off their kids arms and beat them with their own arms…I’m not POSITIVE about the rules but I have my suspicious…

Kathy March 21, 2006 at 9:54 am

Eeee.

karmajenn March 21, 2006 at 10:09 am

Good luck!

robyn March 21, 2006 at 11:19 am

*hangs head sheepishly* — I had to lug a 10-month old into my infertility docs during the early days of my second pregnancy because we have no sitting here, save a 90-minute drive each way to drop off and pick up — meaning 180-minutes round-trip x2 — and the husband had already used up all available vacation time on the last birth and the appt’s with that unexpected pregnancy (that he wanted to be with me at – and I think it was his right to go – and I wanted him there). All the time he had to take at work that day was to schlep all of us to the office and back. Not everyone can just “get a sitter” — and even if we could, there’s the paranoia factor in trusting one when you don’t know anyone in your area. As long as I waited to have them, I want them in MY line of sight at all times. (/end of inappropriately hijacking your comments on this – I just felt guilty then, and feel guilty now – because I remember life on both sides of the stroller…but if only it were as simple as leaving them in the car sometimes…)

Thinking of you and wishing you all the luck and eggs popping out like Orville Redenbacher lit a match under the follicles! Love ya’ babe!

Stephanie March 21, 2006 at 11:37 am

yeah!! good luck on the retrieval!

Ornery March 21, 2006 at 11:41 am

Holy crap, I’m so excited for you! Good luck!

Michele March 21, 2006 at 1:39 pm

Good luck on your retrieval! On my last visit with my RE pg w/de twins I mentioned I would send a picture of the babies to the nurse. She said “oh bring them in”…I was like “no way” for the reasons you posted. I told one of my fertile friends and she said the same thing…it will give them hope. I don’t buy it.

Linda March 22, 2006 at 7:36 pm

OMG…I so understand about the children in the office. Dr. Moustache’s office seems to be perpetually full of them and it just feels so “unaware” of them. Seriously, they should bring along someone with them to watch them OUTSIDE.