Meet the kids.

by statia on March 25, 2006

Transfer went rather smoothly this morning. We had our grading consult first. We had “beautiful embryos” and of course, me being the biased mother that I am, I had to agree with Dr. Moustache. Out of all 11, all of them went on to fertilize normally except one, which is still stuck at the one cell. They think it’s pretty much stopped growing, so they’ll continue to track it. If you’ll click the picture, we’d like to introduce you to our “kids”. Meet Doris, Nigel and Mona. I know they have little hair now, but we were thinking of getting them some baby toupee’s, you know, to boost their confidence.

During our consult, we decided to move forward with transferring back three embryos instead of the original two, as the chances of triplets really doesn’t increase that much. Twins of course skyrockets, but that’s ok. In the off chance that we do end up with triplets that look like they’re going to stick, selective reduction has a way lower percentage of miscarriage as opposed to the rate of miscarriage should we try to carry all three to term. So that’s that.

And while I have a moment, you think that the fucking medical industry could come up with a lightweight plastic speculum, as opposed to a two ton steel one? I mean come on. Who wants to have something crammed in their vag for an extended period of time that feels like it’s going to pull your insides out?

And now it’s back to being high as a kite. Not only was I given the OK to take the vicodin, but they gave me some of my favorite candy ever: valium. I can’t feel my face.

akeeyu March 25, 2006 at 2:36 pm

First of all, those are indeed mighty fetching embryos you’ve got there. I’m glad everything went okay. Wouldn’t it be nice if they gave you sheets of valium in pretty colors like those dot candies?

Incidentally, there ARE plastic speculums (speculii?), but sometimes they’re pinchier than the metal ones. Also, the ratchety mechanism failed on one when it was cranked all the way open once. I remember thinking “People, you had BETTER get that fucking thing out of there, because I am not walking around like this. Who do you think I am, Paris Hilton?”

EJW March 25, 2006 at 2:50 pm

They’re be-oo-tiful! And they look like keepers, too. Enjoy the narcotics, while you can!

erika March 25, 2006 at 2:53 pm

Wow. I’ve been out of the loop!

Thinking of you and your beautiful embryos. :-)

Beth March 25, 2006 at 3:17 pm

Those are some mighty beautiful embryos, but did you have to make laugh so hard I cried with the toupee clip?

So glad things went well – enjoy the Valium.

anon March 25, 2006 at 3:17 pm

I’m going to keep this anon, but trust me a plastic speculum is way worse than the metal ones because they break. and also pinch. a speculum removed when it is fully open… not as awful as many things but not exactly a joyous occasion!!

Lisa March 25, 2006 at 3:24 pm

Love you, hon. Congrats on the implanting. And yes, plastic speculums are AWFUL.

Lori March 25, 2006 at 3:44 pm

The baby toupe clip was a hoot! And I think you could find a lovely one for Nigel.
You’re making me very happy I had the foresight to ask for valium in advance! Is it bad that that’s the part I’m most looking forward to??

skits March 25, 2006 at 3:51 pm

They’re gorgeous. :) Congrats, lady. I’m so happy for you both.

Robber Barren March 25, 2006 at 4:05 pm

Those are some gorgeous kids you’ve got there! Congrats on the transfer…here’s hoping they (2/3 of them) stick with you for the next ~9 months!

Kate March 25, 2006 at 4:08 pm

For my yearly poke-n-prod, my NP used one of the clear plastic ones…and it had a LIGHT in it! She could see parts that tried to run from the light! And it pinched like a mo-fo. I’d take the steel ones ANY DAY.

Chris March 25, 2006 at 4:30 pm

Awww, they look just like you guys ;-)

jadedju March 25, 2006 at 4:31 pm

Is it wrong that I already feel a special attachment to Mona? I don’t know why, I just do.

April March 25, 2006 at 5:01 pm

Thinking of the um… FIVE of you?

Love you S.

also anon March 25, 2006 at 5:02 pm

The plastic ones are a nightmare for several reasons, but they make small speculums that are designed for children (ask me how I know) that aren’t nearly as painful. You might ask about them, if it really bothers you.

mac March 25, 2006 at 5:03 pm

I’m so gonna have nightmares about having to attend a shower for triplets now. Oy.

Weirdly, all the embryoes bear a striking resemblence to your beloved husband. I think it’s the eyes.

suzie March 25, 2006 at 5:03 pm

they’re gorgeous. i’m so excited. i know they are going to love their new home for the next nine months!

donna March 25, 2006 at 5:16 pm

Those are beautiful – they look just like you.

I think the speculum experience has a lot to do with the inserter. The doc who did my HSG was a pro and it barely bothered me. The nurse who did both my IUIs, not so much. In fact the first time she wrestled with it at first, then told me I had a long vagina and she needed another one. I have been having the metal duckbill up my hoo-ha for many years now, and I have never been told I needed a special one. Bitch.

Anyway, congratulations! Do you have the dreaded 2 week wait, or will you know a bit sooner than that? I am sending all my implanting thoughts your way.

Kathy March 25, 2006 at 6:07 pm

Cute embryos!

robyn March 25, 2006 at 8:14 pm

You realize in one day you just outnumbered us – awesome! Very cute little embryos you guys make (I think I even saw a Family Guy DVD floating around in there somewhere)!

Merrin March 25, 2006 at 8:31 pm

They definitely have your eyes!

Jen-Again March 25, 2006 at 8:37 pm

Those look like verah nahce chilluns (even though Isaac Hayes is no longer Chef, I can’t seem to keep his voice out of my head when I think of the word children). Looking forward to seeing the multi-million cell versions in about 9 months.

Tonya March 25, 2006 at 8:58 pm

Hi kids! Snuggle in deep now…. wishing you and your mom the best news in two week’s time.

Kevin Donahue March 25, 2006 at 9:01 pm

That one has your eyes! :) This is truly amazing and awesome. We’ll be thinking about you!!!

Helen March 25, 2006 at 10:31 pm

I love that you named one Nigel.

I swear if that Doris doesn’t have your personality, too. Just look at her- “Try to come up here and dominate me whydontcha’!”

Mona = Bette Midler continued adoration. Just don’t let her near the sea.

geeky March 25, 2006 at 10:34 pm

best looking kids i’ve ever seen. and well behaved too!

thalia March 25, 2006 at 11:40 pm

Congratulations, those are some mighty fine looking embryos! Hoping that 2 of them decide to stick around.

jen March 26, 2006 at 4:30 am

oh how very cool! Amazing, really. Best of luck that everything goes as you wish!!

Mary Scarlet March 26, 2006 at 12:15 pm

Goddang, I’ve been away for too long and I missed all this exciting stuff unfolding. Just great, great fantastic going, excellent outlook and well done you two. Good luck!

Donna March 26, 2006 at 2:29 pm

They all look like perfect little flowers! Maybe Daisy, Rose and Marigold? (Please stop retching and continue to read the rest of my comment.) Seriously, dude, I’ve never seen better looking kids at the microscopic level.

tracey March 26, 2006 at 4:52 pm

Wow ! They look great. Now you can tell your kids “I remember when you were just 8 cells big”. Its not everyone who gets to do that. Just us lucky infertile ones.

Hoping for all the best.

Ornery March 26, 2006 at 6:14 pm

Mon clearly has your eyes, while Doris and Nigel will obviously have your wit and temperment.

So glad the transfer went well!

Linda March 26, 2006 at 10:05 pm

Those are some beauuuuuutiful embryos!!!!

Annastazia March 26, 2006 at 11:42 pm

Oh, that Nigel. He’s going to be a heartbreaker. Best of luck to you guys!

Stephanie March 27, 2006 at 7:11 am

absolutely beautiful! hope that you get twins out of this!

Molly March 27, 2006 at 7:45 am

Lovely, lovely little morulas there. You two make nice-lookin’ embryos.

Congrats on a smooth transfer, and enjoy the drugs while you can!

Susan/HoldingPattern March 27, 2006 at 9:05 am

Those are some HIGH QUALITY embryos you have there….

Good luck!

Lisa March 27, 2006 at 10:27 am

Such little cuties!!

Good luck!!!

Lenni March 27, 2006 at 11:29 am

Congratulations!! I’m glad things are going well.

Jenny March 28, 2006 at 7:36 am

Beautiful!
You just don’t stop with the overachieving eh? Your going to get this group started on the right foot with the first positive!

UtRus March 28, 2006 at 7:00 pm

congrats on the beauties – comment about the baby toup├ęs for the embies was FUNNY!!!! best of luck luck luck!!!!

tom September 7, 2006 at 12:29 am

You can pick up our very own Baby Toupees here: http://www.babytoupee.com