IVF, like sex without the wet spot.

by statia on March 23, 2006

I’m feeling like complete crap today. I feel like someone kicked me in the back really hard. I’ve been completely sloth like, spending the last 4 days in my pajamas, eating chocolate, and fried foods and maybe taking at least one shower a day. Maybe. I’ve been waited on hand and foot by the meester. I gotta say, this retrieval gig is a pretty sweet deal. You want mashed potatoes? You got it. Burger with fries and a baileys shake? You got it. A pony? Here you go babe.

Because what girl at some point in their life, hasnt wanted a pony?

I could really go for an authentic cheesesteak right now.

We got our preliminary fertilization report. Out of 19 eggs, 12 were mature, and 11 went on to fertilize. Which isn’t a bad number. Sounds a lot more realistic and closer to what they were tracking.

Still, my ovaries don a cape with a big S on it.

For those who asked, the maxiumum number of embryos that will be transferred back, will be two and the rest will be frozen for future cycles. Most doctors will only put two embryos back, given your age and health. Usually if you’re older, they’ll put back more, but at my age, two is the maximum. So, no, we won’t be having a litter. Thank you very much.

April March 23, 2006 at 10:32 am

You damn right they do!

11 is a wonderful number.

Faith March 23, 2006 at 10:50 am

I wish I knew more about this process than I do…what do they do with all those eggs once they’ve fertilized them? Do they put all 11 back into you on Saturday? What if you wind up like Phoebe from Friends and have triplets hook on for the next 9 months? “God, it’ll be like a log ride with them all shooting out of there at once!” (Love that line!)

Good luck to you and your sweet fertilized eggs, Statia. I really hope that everything goes well.

Now I need to go find me one of those bailey’s shake thingies…

M@ March 23, 2006 at 10:54 am

Maybe you should start a comic strip with your super ovary character.

donna March 23, 2006 at 11:02 am

That’s great news!

So out of curiosity, how many will they put back, and will the others be frozen for use later when you are ready for another baby? Or will you start fresh if you decide to have another? I am so fascinated by all this.

And as always, I have all my crossables crossed.

Mrs. T March 23, 2006 at 11:31 am

That is still a great number! I assume you are transferring 3.

geeky March 23, 2006 at 11:52 am

mmm baileys shake. i love baileys.

if you’re reaaaaaaaally desperate for a cheesesteak, you could try campo’s deli. they ship cheesesteaks overnight for a small fortune. i’ve never tried it, but i am tempted!

Lenni March 23, 2006 at 12:19 pm

I’m glad to hear things are progressing so well for you!! I hope you’re feeling better soon – what a good meester you have.

osteff March 23, 2006 at 12:31 pm

Enjoy the pampering…

Teresa March 23, 2006 at 1:06 pm

It is always nice to be pampered, but for some reason now I am really hungry…

11 is a lucky number in my family-think it will be for you guys too.

Molly March 23, 2006 at 1:31 pm

11 is a gorgeous and sexy number! I want to lick it.

Tracy March 23, 2006 at 2:21 pm

Ok, so here’s another philosophical question…since it’s Thursday afternoon and I don’t feel like working…

Say you implant 2 this time, and end up with 2 bouncing babies. And you go for a second dip, have 2 more implanted, and end up with 1 baby that time. So you’ve got 3. And you and the meester decide you’re done. So you still have like…seven fertilized eggs that just need a lil’ baking to become babies.

Being part of the IBP (Infertile Bitchz Posse), do you donate those fertilized eggs to another woman…OR…being that they’re “yours” and that having another human being that would be completely genetically related to your children is weird…would you have them destroyed/donated to science/etc..?

Kevin Donahue March 23, 2006 at 2:28 pm

I second the motion for a comic strip character! :-)

Jenn March 23, 2006 at 3:01 pm

Eleven sounds fantastic. Enjoy the pony.

Lori March 23, 2006 at 4:29 pm

11 is fantastic. So glad to hear it’s all going so well.
J needs lessons from the meester. I got denied popcorn when he realized we didn’t actually have any in the house. Grr…

Beth March 23, 2006 at 4:55 pm

I am still in awe of you, since that is roughly 5 years of work for my ovaries. Let us know how it goes with the pony.

Beth March 23, 2006 at 5:14 pm

Does the pony get a Bailey’s shake. I so very glad that things are going well for you.

Wait, what is that flying over my house?

No, could it be? No way. Wait, it does look like a big ass ovary… and its wearing a cape. Take it easy.

Camille March 23, 2006 at 5:47 pm

Eleven! Woo Hoo! Glad to hear such great news!!

Manuela March 23, 2006 at 6:15 pm

Eleven?? Not BAD?? Are you crazy??? That’s fanTASTIC!

Go ovaries!

Helen March 23, 2006 at 10:47 pm

Tracy, it’s near damn impossible to donate embryos to another person. Eggs? Donatable. Embryos? For private consumption only.

Dana March 23, 2006 at 11:11 pm

I am psyched for you!!

millie March 24, 2006 at 1:45 am

Woo hoo!!! 11 is totally fab. Wishing you all the best and holding thumbs for you.

(barge to Tracy and Helen: Donating embryos is becoming quite common and is a wonderful thing for all those that choose to donate/receive. If you’re interested in finding more out about embryo donation check out http://www.miracleswaiting.org, a non-profit started by folks interetested in ED).

thalia March 24, 2006 at 5:56 am

Fabulous news, well done. 11 is an amazing total.

amy t. March 24, 2006 at 7:50 am

Congrats babe – on the fantastic fertilization and the rockin’ husband. Hugs from H-town.

Kellie March 24, 2006 at 9:47 am

Awesome numbers! Good luck with transfer! Does your clinic do day 3 or day 5 transfers?

Helen March 24, 2006 at 11:15 am

Ah yes-but embryo donation is a vetted and screened process. To date, I’ve never heard of the Chop Suey embryo leftovers residing in a leaking cardboard box being allowed to be donated if a donation was a potential the whole time.