When convenience becomes a pain in the ass

by statia on February 17, 2006

My lengthy perscription list for IVF came in yesterday. The massive quantities of drugs gave me a tiny coronary. I’ve only ever gone as far as an injectable/IUI cycle. The amount of drugs you use on an injectable cycle, pale in comparison. Seeing other people’s pictures doesn’t even begin to do it justice. And the sad thing is? I don’t even have all of my meds yet. The big stuff is on order and I have one more thing I need to pick up from a local pharmacy next week.

Seeing as how they frown upon shipping needles internationally, I had to go to my local Long’s Drugs to pick up my needles, prenatals, heparin, prometrium, Effexor (because I’m going to need the crazy pills to get through all of this) and Folguard. Going in there needing only one perscription is a challenge, but going in there needing 10? I’m lucky my brain is functioning at normal capacity. It’s like dealing with a bunch of retarded monkeys that stand there with one finger in their nose and the other firmly wedged up their ass, all while staring at you with this look of fearful confusion. Oh my god, a question??? What do I do?

So I drop off my list of perscriptions and the woman told me it would be ready in an hour. Since it was pretty busy and we had some other errands to run, we came back after about 2½ hours. It was still busy. We finally get up to the counter and inquire about my perscriptions and when she couldn’t find them I saw the look of confusion and retarded monkey-ness kick in. So she looks up my name in the system with the same pained look and then realized they weren’t ready yet. I ask her how long, and she says “I don’t know, a few minutes?” Now, there’s a long fucking line of people that isn’t getting shorter. So I figure I’d wait ten minutes. Ten..twenty…thirty. I finally cut in line at the next open register and get another different person. Lather rinse repeat.

So we go back there today and do you believe my shit is STILL not ready? The retarded monkey walks around slowly in circles like if someone says one word to her, she’s going to implode into nothingness. The stress of working as a cashier in a pharmacy is just too much for them. I ask her how long and she says: “I don’t know, a few minutes?” *Bangs.head.on.wall.*

And then, when they were finally done, I made the stupid stupid mistake of asking them for a sharps container.

I think it was at that point that the woman peed herself from fear.

Empress February 18, 2006 at 6:50 am

It is for that very reason that I stick to the tiny little family-run pharmacies. You may have to endure the chit-chat about the next church picnic but there’s never any line and they are beyond helpful. I had to go to one of the big ones the other day and I got immediately dismissed when I went to ask a question. The pharmacist didn’t even look back at me when I said, “but…” He just kept on walking. Ass. I don’t envy you having to deal with these people during all of this.

girl February 18, 2006 at 8:04 am

The stress of working as a cashier in a pharmacy is just too much for them.

most pharmacies don’t have cashiers in their pharmacies. generally you can’t be back there unless you’re HIPAA certified, so she was probably a tech. a very dumb tech at that. the laws probably vary state to state, though. was this a big chain? I’m just asking b/c if that had happened where I work, someone would be getting a massive ass chewing. you were entirely too patient with them.

girl February 18, 2006 at 8:07 am

that’s when you tell them that you want the phone number to the Pharmacy District Manager. most PDMs are pretty good about taking care of complaints like that in a timely manner and you’d probably get compensated for his assholeishness too.

donna February 18, 2006 at 8:24 am

Shit, I thought my mail order drug company was a pain in the ass. As stupid as they are, they always send alcohol swabs and a sharps container, whether I need them or not. I now use alcohol swabs to do a lot of household cleaning. And we are thinking of decorating the sharps containers and selling them to rednecks on ebay as spitoons or something.

Mary Scarlet February 18, 2006 at 9:25 am

I feel you on the pharmacy hassle. I couldn’t get them to understand that I needed one size needle to draw up the PIO and another size to inject it. I had to stand there and try to explain to this dumb-ass, who I know understood me but was working from some place of disapproval. Mail order for me from now on, all the way. Which is of course not possible for about 1/2 the stuff unfortunately. I think it’s the stuff that’s not in pill form that gets them.

Tonya February 18, 2006 at 9:46 am

That has got to be one of the most frustrating situations. Sometimes I think it must be nice to have a job like that– something you forget the instant you walk out the door, that you don’t have to care about doing well at because once you’re “trained” they are unlikely to fire you. Argh. Hoping they get it all figured out soon and that you don’t have to keep making trips back there.

Ornery February 18, 2006 at 9:50 am

I have enough problems getting amoxicillin from my local Walgreens…I can’t even begin to imagine how they would handle 10 different meds plus needles! I’m very impressed that you didn’t rip the heads off of all those retarded monkeys. My admiration for you has increased tenfold.

SJW February 20, 2006 at 8:05 am

Longs Drugs? Ewww… around here, they’re like the dollar store of pharmacies. I’m with Empress on the family-run operations, or local chains staffed with people who actually care. What I really miss is CVS… *drools*

Linda February 22, 2006 at 9:17 am

I had the same trouble with Costco for basic things like prenatals and folgard. With the prenatals they were like, “Do you want that with iron or without iron?” I’d tell them “Without iron is fine” and they’d reply, “Well then you need a prescription that calls for that.” Well WTF? Why bother asking me what I want if my prescription is useless in the first place? I’ve had much much better luck with the mail order pharmacies on Dr. Z’s list (like the Apothecary Shoppe in Arizona).