What happens to Statia when she forgets her meds? Let’s watch.

by statia on February 13, 2006

I don’t really need any help in the crazy department and today, the crazy department is pushing its limits.

#1: My protocol nurses are pissing me off. First, they tell me I’ll be on the pill for 21 days. They don’t want me on it any longer than 30. So, I was guessing that within the next week and a half, I would start lupron, and we’d be on our way. HAHAHAHAH……… no. When nurse ratchet sent me my proposed calendar, I emailed her back and said something like:

Want.off.the.pill. Sweaty is the sleeping. Must kill. want to get started. Fix this and make it go away. I hear dead people.

I don’t think they even blinked an eye because I got back:

Dear Statia,

Due to our schedule we are only able to offer you these dates for you cycle. We can’t move it up only later. Sorry! Please provide us the remainder of the missing items and we can finalize the time line.

Regards,
Nurse, the other white meat.

So, I see how it is, I give you lots of money and once you have my name signed in blood on the dotted line, you just dick me around. And I’m pissed off. Pissed because I’m stewing mad about it, pissed off because I feel like I’m letting my emotions get the best of me, and mostly, pissed off because I’m totally wussing out about telling them how I feel. Part of me just wants to call up another clinic and get the show on the road somewhere else. But like a true car dealership that is an RE’s office, you walk out the door and another unsuspecting schmuck is going to walk right in and plunk down a hefty sum. But SORRY! Nothing we can do!! Bend over and take it bitch.

Also? There’s STILL more bloodwork that they’re requiring. Bloodwork that I had done originally, but there was a mix up at our primary care’s office and so I had to get it done and have it rushed over, because it’s mandatory. There’s a fine line between enough and too much.

So now my protocol goes something like this:
The following are purposed dates for your IVF cycle. Please confirm if they work for you:

Active birth control pill was started on 2/3/06
Take last active birth control pill: 3/4/06
Baseline Estradiol, CBC blood tests and ultrasound at ZFC: 3/6/06
Start Microdose Lupron 3/7/06
Start stimulation medication: 3/9/06
Appointment at ZFC for Ultrasound, Estradiol/Prolactin/NKA blood tests and semen sample back-up/analysis: 3/15/06
Estimated Egg Retrieval: 3/19/06-3/22/06
Estimated Embryo Transfer: 3/22/06-3/25/06

#2: These dates put us at the exact anniversary of when we found out we were prengnant last year. The irony, she is not lost on me.

#3: This whole IVIg thing has got me completely bugged. We’ve decided not to go with an IVIg protocol. We feel that there isn’t enough research to support its success. BOTH my OB and my PCP agree and support our decision. We both feel that the articles that are published are pushed on sites like RESOLVE and inciid to create a paranoia. Now, I’m NOT saying that if you’re choosing to move forward with IVIg that you’re wrong or that you’re paranoid. What I’m saying is that it’s just not right FOR US. So if you have any sort of troll like hatemail or feel the need to email me to push your opinion on me, save yourself the pain and agony of developing carpal tunnel. DON’T WASTE THE KEYSTROKES. This is just my finding and again, both of my doctors are 100% behind us. And neither of them is from Tiajuana.

Julianna February 13, 2006 at 4:32 pm

it must be in the air….i am losing it over my protocol as well.

I think we need to talk to Susan at “Holding” and see if we can arrange another get together…

it is all so difficult sometimes

thinking of you,

Jenn February 13, 2006 at 5:29 pm

As a nurse (the other white meat) I’ve given IVIG in the hospital and it’s a rough drug to get. Lots of monitoring and it takes FOR-EV-ER. Last time I read up on it, I agree with you that there just isn’t enough supporting research. Plus it’s damned expensive. I’m sorry your cycle is being delayed.

P. February 13, 2006 at 8:27 pm

Damn those clinics and their schedules. I was really looking forward to cycling with someone. Here’s hoping that the 7th of March comes quickly for you!

Ornery February 13, 2006 at 10:37 pm

RE offices and car dealerships: such an appropriate analogy. That sucks that you feel like you’re getting dicked around, especially when your nerves are already rubbed pretty raw from drugs.

Hey, maybe you should come with me to my blood draw tomorrow. If we run into that infertile Juicy couture wearing bitch at my RE’s office, you could take out all your pent up craziness on her. You could give her the ass whupping she so richly deserves, vent out your frustrations, and be my hero all at the same time!

wessel February 14, 2006 at 12:08 am

Oh dear, I think that all the IVF clinics are more or less the same. In fact, I think they all share the same national pool of nurses, who just keep rotating around the country. Or maybe the nurses have been Stepfordized.

I hate the pill. I don’t do lupron. I did IVIG twice and I still didn’t get pregnant. The thing is, I truly believe that there is something to these immunology theories — I just don’t think anyone knows what to do in terms of treatment. I wouldn’t do IVIG again, but I know women who swear by it.

I have high NK cells (actually, borderline high but enough that The Sher wanted me to do IVIG). I did my own research and learned that it is not the NK cells per se that are bad, it’s the ACTIVATED NK cells, which produce TNF-a factor, the same evil stuff that cause arthritic joint pain. That’s why Beer puts his NK patients on Humera and Enbrel (somewhat dangerous anti-arthritic meds). Well, guess what? In Europe, arthritis is widely treated by Omega 3 fish oil in large doses and an enzyme product called Wobenzym, both shown to decrease TNF-a dramatically. I started on this stuff and my arthritis disappeared in 3 weeks, completely gone. My NK cells also went down into normal range. How ’bout that? But not a lot of money can be made off natural products like enzymes and fish oil. So there you have it.

Anyway, hang in there, my friend.

thalia February 14, 2006 at 10:03 am

Yuk, I hate the thought of the bcps, I’m sorry they are making you feel so grotty, and that your clinic is keeping you waiting. I assume that it’s not a bad thing as they are presumably busy with other patients and busy clinics have better results…sorry don’t want to be too pollyanna about this.

Faith February 14, 2006 at 11:02 am

Damn, I admire all the women that have to go through this sort of thing! Your strength and passion makes me want to cry, honestly.

And here I am, seething over the fact that my H & R Block online tax return didn’t go properly and I’m hating that I have to follow-up constantly. Can you kick me in the taco for being such an ass, please?

My thoughts are with you…hope this month & March go ok!

millie February 14, 2006 at 11:11 am

I really hate clinics that force you to cycle at specific times. I knew when I did that at my last clinic I’d be the last one to finish and would fail.

As for IVIG, I totally get it. It freaks me out to think about using something like that. i know some folks swear by it but the research really isn’t there. And it’s soooooo expensive.

Wishhing you nothing but the best luck…and accomodating nurses from here on out.

Zuly February 14, 2006 at 11:20 am

Got the dates in my head now… will be following along and surrounding you with peace and positivity, even when it all feels fucked up. Love you.

Lola Badeggs February 15, 2006 at 8:22 am

“Nurse, the other white meat”.

Goddam funniest thing I have read since somebody talked about Stormy Nethers. Thanks for the laugh. Sorry about the crappiness, though…

Donna February 15, 2006 at 12:55 pm

IVIg is the new black. Due to the clinic’s schedule they can’t change the dates? Bastards. That shit drives me crazy. Obviously it does the same to you, and a crazy Statia is a scary, scary thing.

Deltus February 15, 2006 at 6:08 pm

For the amount of money you laid down, they should fucking dance when you shoot at their feet, man.