Beep. Beep. Short Bus.

by statia on February 23, 2006

For the last six weeks, we’ve been taking Miss M. to a basic training class. She knew her basic commands going in, but we figured getting her in a class would help with socialization as well as being around other people, which she tends to hate. We did learn a few new things, walking on a leash, recall and all that nonsense.

One of the things we work on in class is down. Every other dog in class does the down. Miss M’s ADD has her looking everywhere but at us and she refuses to lay down. Even “uping the ante” in her treats doesn’t yield results.

As a result of this, our instructor has suggested that we retake the class. That’s right, we have the “special helmet” dog that is getting left back a grade.

P.S. She actually got great reviews otherwise, the trainer said she does great, except for the fact that her attention span is that of a flea.

huy February 23, 2006 at 7:45 pm

Oh good. Then I have something in common with her.

ellessu February 24, 2006 at 5:50 am

at least miss m didn’t pee in class. the pooch and i took an 8-week class and 6 out of the 8 classes, he would look at me, squat and trickles of pee would be spilling out onto the concrete floor as I and the other puppy owners would watch in horror. and he even went before the beginning of class so i KNOW he did it just to spite me.

Mrs. T February 24, 2006 at 6:00 am

At least you stuck out the class. We quit after the first class knowing our dog would fail with a capital “F”!!! Godiva knows down only when it’s one-on-one with her. If anyone else is around she thinks they are there simply to see her… Dogs!? Gotta love them though!

Julianna February 24, 2006 at 9:12 am

Your title is PRICELESS!!! too funny

I hear that it’s not the dog, it’s the owner who needs to be trained….

i’m just sayin’ :)

Ms Prufrock February 24, 2006 at 11:41 am

:::snort::: short bus. I can’t tire of hearing that expression. That, paired with the special helmet comment, and I might just have peed a little.

felice February 24, 2006 at 12:23 pm

my dog is completely retarded. she knows ‘sit’, and it seems that’s as much as will fit in her little head. the rest of her brain only knows ‘food’.

SJW February 24, 2006 at 1:11 pm

Your dog is “don’t eat the paste” special.

Tracy February 24, 2006 at 10:31 pm

Don’t feel bad about the “down” thing. I actually hired trainers to come to my house, thinking that would be better than having a whole class to distract my dog…and my trainers actually said, in the 20 years they’d been training, my dog was THE most stubborn dog they’d ever met. When you told her to do something she wasn’t in the mood for, bitch would totally DELIBERATLY look away from you – real slow like, so you knew she MEANT it. Damn dog!

Camille February 25, 2006 at 5:23 pm