Out of the mouths of fertiles….

by statia on January 26, 2006

I swear to fucking Jesus Tits in a disco, if one more person says to me or one of my friends/fellow infertile bloggers “Maybe you’re trying too hard. Just take it easy and don’t worry. My cousin’s friends’ roomate’s dog’s sister adopted a girl cause they could not have any kids and about 2 months. later she got pregnant. “, I’m going to square on punch them in the neck.

Stop being so fucking ignorant and get your head out of your ass. It’s not always that easy.

Ms. Pants January 26, 2006 at 2:33 pm

Maybe you should smoke more pot? I’ve got some gladware just waiting…. :-p

Manuela January 26, 2006 at 2:51 pm

aw jeeez… not THAT again… send ‘em my way… I could enjoy a good bitch slap session right about now…

April January 26, 2006 at 2:53 pm

Good times… good times.

Ms Prufrock January 26, 2006 at 2:57 pm

Fuck “just relax”. As I’ve discussed with a blogging friend of mine, what, are our genitals clenched? Perhaps if we just took a deep breath and released, the vagina would open up a bit more thus allowing the sperm to flow more freely. Voila. Pregnant.

Wendy January 26, 2006 at 3:43 pm

that’s irritating as hell and i’m not even trying to get pregnant.

Helen January 26, 2006 at 4:16 pm

I’m here with the rabbit punch. And I’m in a SHIT mood, so just send them over. I’ve got “time served” written all over me, and I’d love a side of “idiot” with my fries.

Lisa January 26, 2006 at 5:13 pm

Ugh – I’ll slap ‘em for ya. Grr…

martha January 26, 2006 at 5:43 pm

I can’t believe that people actually say that – and people who’ve struggled with infertility even? That’s just wrong, wrong wrong.

Kris January 26, 2006 at 5:56 pm

That just sends me over the edge- I’ve had to have knock down drag outs with my own mother over that phrase. Gah! People are just so damn ignorant.

donna January 27, 2006 at 6:00 am

My own mother told me we just needed to relax, maybe drink some wine, or go on vacation. I screamed at her that wine and vacation will not make my ovaries function normally, thankyouverymuch. I feel badly that I yelled at her, but she was being ridiculous and insensitive.

Mrs. T January 27, 2006 at 7:05 am

I got that from my stepmom just last night. And the “They always say if you stop thinking about it, it will happen”. Who are “they”?? I just end the conversation, hang up the phone and scream, then forget about it. It’s funny b/c they think they are trying to be sincere, but it’s not in the least…

Lenni January 27, 2006 at 7:59 am

Thats crazy talk! What the hell kind of logic is that?

SJW January 27, 2006 at 8:58 am

My 2 cents: go for the acupuncture and do yoga weekly. Regardless of whether you are trying to get pregnant, or just function in this fast-paced world, we could all use some dedicated relaxation time in our lives.

Faith January 27, 2006 at 10:56 am

People did that to me too when I was single. Totally different situation, of course, but the frustration was there…the wanting to kick them in the teeth was there…the bawling them out on my blog was there. I got so tired of the whole, “Just when you aren’t looking for him, he’ll show up. Honest!” bullshit that I wanted to declare myself a lesbian and tell everyone I was moving to an undisclosed location with my new partner to live in a cabin that had no electricity, where we would live off the land.

When it comes to someone saying it about your internal organs, though? That shit’s gotta stop. Does it happen because people don’t know what to say? I mean, JEEZUS!!

Ornery January 27, 2006 at 12:19 pm

I’m so tired of ignorant, stupid people. Yesterday, I was at a meeting and had to sit at a table with three other women who either had a baby or were pregnant. After talking incessantly about nannies vs. daycare, they asked if I was pregnant, and when I told them I wasn’t, they all insisted I should get pregnant soon because having a baby was the BEST. I wanted to tell them to fuck off, but instead told them I had some fertility issues. 10 bucks as to what their responses were.

robyn January 28, 2006 at 11:51 pm

You know, the thing that pissed me off at myself the most is that I became “that” statistic. The one I hated. The one I loathed. After so many years of wanting to drop kick the next person that even so much as thought it, much less said it.

Still, that people continue to say that just proves my theory that people are dumb.

It’s the absolute WORST thing you can say to someone in that situation, and only succeeds in making them feel all the more broken. I’d like to -on a weekly basis- stick needles in their arm, test sticks under their pee stream, ultrasound wands up their hoo-ha, and 500 e-mails in their inbox asking “so…how’d it go…are you yet…” and then politely invite THEM to ‘just relax’.

Livika January 29, 2006 at 1:42 am

I know exactly what you mean. People can be incredibly insensitive.

Just keep telling them to bugger’ off and think before they speak.

Not that, that works at all. But it will at least make you feel better.

Deltus February 1, 2006 at 1:25 pm

Never underestimate the power and breadth of human ignorant stupidity.