My dog is posh

by statia on January 23, 2006

One of the local dog shops that we frequent is losing its lease. I found out on Friday, and went a bit nuts. A tip for people with little dogs that you put in clothing: don’t go into a boutique where everything is half off after you’ve gotten your buzz on and talked about all things sex with your new sister, because it will make you hot and bothered and the only way to get rid of that if you’re out and about is to shop.

My dog now has a better wardrobe than I do.

She got three new coats, a very cute ruffly sweater and a pink tee with skull and crossbones on the back. One of the jackets didn’t fit, so luckily when I made it back down there today, they had one more in the next size up, and of course, I couldn’t resist getting her yet ANOTHER sweater because I have a sickness and jesus christ this stuff is cute and you can tell that the hormones in my uterus are just in overdrive can’t you? She’s taken to the sweaters now and loves them. She loves wearing the clothes and she loves to look at herself in the mirror in them (I’m totally not lying).

Also, did your parents, (or if you’re a parent, planning to be a parent, whatever whatever) save your umbilical stump? I was talking about this with Helen who immediately squicked out over it, saying that she couldn’t be sticking biological matter into a baby book. My parents saved ours, but Dougs didn’t. Helen was completely skeeved at the thought, to which I finally said “For Chrissake Helen, it’s not as if I’m keeping it to suck on it later like a freeze dried cherry.” At that point she covered her ears and went “la la la la la” Heh.

So, what’s the deal? Are you going to tape biological matter into the baby book? Chuck it? Stick it in a raisin box for some unsuspecting person to enjoy after they’ve pissed you off at the office?

Anne January 23, 2006 at 4:34 pm

The stump thing freaks me out just a little too…BUT…on a related note:

One of the coolest things I remember about my Dad’s baby book: my grandmother saved clippings from his first haircut. My father had almost black hair by the time we were born, so being able to pull bits of white-blonde hair out of an envelope used to fascinate my sister & me…it was such a connection that my father had once been little and like us.

But I don’t think an umbilical stump would have held quite the same fascination.

Amy January 23, 2006 at 4:35 pm

We did not save any portions of the umbilical cord with our kids. My parents didn’t save ours, either. I did, however, save a lock of hair from their first haircuts..

LisaThePooper January 23, 2006 at 4:54 pm

Not saving the stump, but the cord blood will be stored by http://www.cordblood.com. It’s a nice insurance policy for down the road, and totally worth the cost. Saving the stump seems kinda creepy to me, but to each his own. Some people may think the cord blood thing is creepy, but I think it’s cool.

Ms. Pants January 23, 2006 at 5:08 pm

Please file me under “la la la la la I can’t hear you, you fucking freak la la la la.”

martha January 23, 2006 at 5:36 pm

I was reading and trying to be calm about it but just can’t get over the squick reaction. EEeeew! Cord blood and hair saving though, yes.

Camille January 23, 2006 at 5:47 pm

I threw G’s away a few weeks ago (almost 2 years old). Yes, I had it on the shelf in his closet, was going to keep it, and came across it and decided to throw it away because…well, its kinda gross.

Lisa January 23, 2006 at 6:32 pm

Um… no. Ew.

Jenn January 23, 2006 at 6:39 pm

Ditto. Ew.

Kathy January 23, 2006 at 6:43 pm

I think it’s gross, but as you know, my husband insisted we keep it so… who am I to argue.

I figure it will make a good conversation piece when he brings over his first girlfriend. A mom needs ammo for baby’s first humiliation.

Jennifer January 23, 2006 at 7:46 pm

BLECH! I vote NO on stump saving!

My ex-husband is Japanese, and claims* that it is tradition to pop that sucker in a baby food jar and bury it. And who am I to refuse this? What was my alternative? It’s grody! I didn’t want it lying around the house.

* I have no way of refuting this, as I am only so well versed in the ways of the Japanese, but FULLY AWARE that his family is nuts, so it could just be one more nutbag thing they do.

donna January 23, 2006 at 8:06 pm

Sorry, I’m with Helen on that one. Ick!

Pamela January 23, 2006 at 8:58 pm

My husband is Japanese, and was raised on a Shinto “jinga”.
They do a ceremony for Shinto babies, to welcome them and pray for their well-being, and then “present” the wrapped up “package” to the parents.
I have the little paper box “package” that his stub was put in, many years ago.
When he returned to Japan with me & our son, his family gave it to me, to keep.

I haven’t thought about it till now…

Lisa January 23, 2006 at 9:02 pm

Happy anniversary, chica (in my time zone anyway)!

robyn January 23, 2006 at 10:03 pm

Both rolled up in Pampers — sent to their temp home in the Diaper Genie. Ummmm…no.

robyn January 23, 2006 at 10:05 pm

Oooooh — happy anniversary!!!!!

geeky January 24, 2006 at 5:47 am

*dry heaves*

amy t. January 24, 2006 at 7:39 am

I’m going with the general majority on this one. And I threw up in my mouth a little at that unsuspecting raisin lover bit.

tracey January 24, 2006 at 8:31 am

Ew! It never occurred to me to keep that part. Although, I have kept clippings from my kids’ first haircut and their baby teeth. My hubby thinks it’s gross to keep their baby teeth. I’m not sure what use the kids would have for them later on, other than to say, Mom, you are so weird. Why would you keep this crap?

mac January 24, 2006 at 8:37 am

I’m lucky there are photos of me as a kid, let alone someone saving my stump. They were harried times.

And yes, the idea of tossing some dried up bit of goo into a baby book is kind of creepy to me.

Deltus January 24, 2006 at 8:55 am

I’d have to put “keeping the cord stump” at about an 8.7 on the Barf-O-Meter. Mind, I held it and looked at it when it came off our daughters, but after about a minute’s fascination, it goes into the trash like the rest of the refuse.

Deltus January 24, 2006 at 8:56 am

Helen January 24, 2006 at 9:02 am

See? I am totally normal. Who wants to keep something that has carried WASTE PRODUCTS.

And unlike Deltus, if I’m ever lucky enough to have a kid, I’m not even going to touch the thing with my bare hands. If I have a kid and the thing falls off, I’m calling Hasmat, because it’s just so fucked up.

April January 24, 2006 at 9:29 am

A few things:

1) you know I adore you… but you’ve now turned into *that* lady. ;)

2) Happy anniversary… hope your next year is full of much happiness.

3) Ew. and um. ew. and *gag* My mom kept the hair from when I had my head shaved for the brain surgery in a little envelope in my baby book, but stump? No.

When you have your kid, Aunt April will just call her Stumpy now.

Annastazia January 24, 2006 at 10:19 am

I am 28 years old and my mom still has my cord in a baby book and thinks it’s cute. Whenever she talks about it, I have to leave the room for fear of hurling. So um… no on the baby cord. I’ve seen how well they keep. Blech.
Though ironically, she also has a chihuahua that wears sweaters and likes to look at herself in the mirror.
Oh God, stop before it’s too late!

Faith January 24, 2006 at 10:48 am

I don’t get what the point is. You have you, and then you have the baby. Why must one keep a piece of the connecting tissue that hooked y’all together for a few months for? Especially one that looks all gross and bleh and I’m feeling ill now just thinking about it.

I mean, we didn’t keep one of my mother’s fingers “for memory’s sake” up above ground before we buried her 8 years ago. We’ve got pictures and memories and videos for that sort of thing. I can advocate taking pictures of the bit o’ cord, but not actually keeping it. That just makes no sense to me. (But, then again, I never wanna be a mommy, if I can avoid it, so that might be where my opinion gets skewed…)

Ornery January 24, 2006 at 2:36 pm

That sounds fucking disgusting…but in a weirdly fascinating way. I’m mostly surprised that it preserves so nicely…I thought it would crumble with age or at least mutate and form its own head.

miguel January 25, 2006 at 4:50 am

allready sent helen this link, umbilical cord gallore…