And here I thought I got off easy.

by statia on January 19, 2006

I had a stupid asshole meeting yesterday near the airport. Even though my doctor isn’t that far, I figured since I was closer to him because of this meeting, I’d go in and get my bloodwork taken care of. The thing I was scared most about was the cost. I was scared shitless. I even thought about changing it until I had some insight on the cost of the tests. Thankfully, my insurance covered it, which is nice, because that 7 vials of blood would have cost me about $900. Instead, it only cost me $42 for the shipping and handling to send it out of state. Huge sigh of relief. The nurse that took my blood was very nice and apologetic for leaving the butterfly on so long and having to take 7 vials of blood. Having blood drawn doesn’t bother me in the slightest. Doesn’t even phase me. I’ve had it done so much over the last 6 years that it really isn’t a big deal. I used to fear needles. Now? Well, seeing as how I’ll be injecting myself 75 times a day (or maybe 4, I don’t know) with various medications, I figured I really needed to get the hell over that fear.

We had our phone consult with our coordinator today. 7 vials? Really? HAHAHAHAH. No, more like 23. Seriously, I think they’re going to take all of my blood, test it, and then transfuse it back into my body. They’ll probably have to cryopreserve me while my blood is out of my body, but that’s ok, I need the sleep anyway.

By the time I get this laundry list of shit done, it will probably be January of next year.

I will most likely be sporadic over the next four days as the London infertility branch will be here visiting. We’ll be partaking in lots of drinking and shopping. Probably most likely at the same time.

April January 19, 2006 at 12:57 pm

Well, one step at a time right?

That one’s down… now to the next.

M@ January 19, 2006 at 12:59 pm

Insurance rocks, especially when they pay for things your aren’t expecting.

Camille January 19, 2006 at 7:03 pm

I know how you feel with the fifty-thousand vials of blood. I had to get mine tested too when we found out Erin was going to have a transfusion and they took several (I’m thinking it was more than 7) so they could perform over 13 tests. Then of course, they had to take more at each visit, before each transfusion, blah blah blah. I looked like a drug addict.

Ornery January 19, 2006 at 11:49 pm

Reason #8432 for hating infertility: Constant blood draws make it impossible for fertiles to tell the difference between you and a heroin addict (except that chances are fairly high that the addict will be about 8 months pregnant).

Michelle January 20, 2006 at 2:43 am

Ick. The most I’ve ever had taken at once was 6 vials, and that was just one time for a full workup. My condolences to your poor arms. But yay for the insurance part, that’s always a plus.

Christine January 20, 2006 at 11:30 am

Damn. And I thought the 13 vials I had to go through a few months ago was bad. It actually dropped my blood pressure, they took so much. (17 tests, but the didn’t have to take 17 vials for them. I guess they play nice and share.)

Deltus January 24, 2006 at 8:44 am

That would actually kinda be cool, if they could cryopreserve a person while they exracted all your blood, then put it back. There’s a sci-fi book in there somewhere.