What the hell happened to good comedy?

by statia on December 27, 2005

So we finally saw 40-Year-Old Virgin.

Seriously? Not that funny.

Steve Carell? Not really funny.

I thought he was at his funniest in Anchorman, which I thought sucked royal balls.

And I hate The Office.

I feel much better now.

Rob December 27, 2005 at 8:12 pm

I haven’t seen it yet but I truly hated Ron Burgundy, I don’t care for The Office either, and in fact I typically shy away from anything here lately with Will Ferrell in it. Ehh.. I’ll probably still watch it anyway.

Deltus December 27, 2005 at 8:17 pm

Thanks for the review, I had that on my Probably Won’t Watch list. It’s now firmly on my Don’t Ever Watch list, and your name is right there beside it in the “Info Source” column. :)

jen December 27, 2005 at 8:34 pm

I do not think he is that funny either. Although the scene in Bruce Almighty, where Bruce is making him talk funny ..is fucking hilarious.

*shrugs*

robyn December 27, 2005 at 11:01 pm

Damn, we just bought it and loved it. We were afraid we’d wake the yungin’s we were laughing so hard. And we’re huge “Office” fans and loved Anchorman. Go figure… But then again, we don’t play darts or dress our dog up in human clothing. *ducks* ;-p I kid, I kid! Well, except for the loving 40-year, Office, and Anchor…

Kathy December 28, 2005 at 5:41 am

I thought it was a little lame too… not as funny as I thought it would be, though we do like The Office.

amy t. December 28, 2005 at 6:33 am

I hated Anchorman. The only good part of that movie was “I love lamp.” I did think the 40-Year-Old Virgin was funny though. I know it’s stupid, but that “Aaaaaaaaaaah Kelly Clarkson!” makes me crack up every time I hear it. I don’t think I’ve ever even watched the office.

Lenni December 28, 2005 at 7:04 am

I HATE the office. worst.show.ever. I haven’t yet seen the 40-year old virgin, but I did also mostly hate Anchorman.

geeky December 28, 2005 at 10:29 am

i can’t believe you didn’t like 40 year old virgin! i thought it was fucking hysterical.

Donna December 28, 2005 at 11:48 am

Hardly anything makes me laugh anymore, especially not insipid sex jokes, ugh. So, haven’t seen it and probably won’t.

fran3000 December 28, 2005 at 4:53 pm

dude, lurve both movies….are they the best comedic films ever made by human kind? no, but any movie that includes the line “Smells like Bigfoot’s dick!” or shows men getting chest hair waxed for real and not faking it, is an okay movie in my book…i think you guys problably went it with too high expectations which can kill a movie, it’s happened to me lots of times…(i still garden state is garbage just cause i was expecting a great movie and the stewie griffin-the untold story, i didn’t think it was all that great, just midly funny…)

Pete December 28, 2005 at 6:11 pm

You’re dead to me.

Again.

Karen December 28, 2005 at 9:31 pm

How? How? How can this be?

You didn’t like Virgin? I just watched it again for the second time and loved it even more, if that is possible. How could you resist the Carrell man?

And The Office? Oh my goodness. I want that playing in my house, 24/7. All Steve has to do is flutter his eyes and I pee myself.

Karen/naked ovary

k December 30, 2005 at 12:52 pm

Okay, I just jumped here from I can’t remember which infertility blog and the first thing I read is that you don’t like “The Office”?!

I don’t know if I can read anymore.

girl December 31, 2005 at 8:57 am

oh, man. we both love that movie AND The Office. how can you not love Dwight? Dwight is the guy that everyone loathes at their place of work. I’ve never seen Anchorman and don’t intend to.