Even my dogs have expensive taste.

by statia on December 4, 2005

There are many things that I don’t mind spending money on. Handbags (I am a self proclaimed Coach whore), good meals, good alcohol (I am a self proclaimed vodka snob), clothes (if it’s classic, it’ll last forever) and shoes to name a few.

But I draw the line on certain things. To name one, a Christmas tree. Today was the big day to buy a Christmas tree. Last year, we went out to a tree farm in Half Moon Bay and ended up getting cutting down a shitty lopsided Chrismas tree that ended up dying about 10 days before Christmas. This year we didn’t want the hassle. So we stopped by one of the side of the road Christmas tree lots to see what they had. Excuse me, but where the hell do people get off charging $80+ dollars for something that you’re going to put up for maybe 3-4 weeks out of the year, tops? Christ on a sidecar! And I’m not talking about good sturdy lush trees. I’m talking about shorter sparse trees with flimsy branches. I understand these are pre-cut, but for chrissakes people, it’s a tree. In PA, I could go to some shopping center parking lot stand and get a decent tree that was pretty much top of the line, for 45 bucks tops. It’s not like these trees are brought in from Canada or the northeast. These are trees that are native to the area and people pay that much? I just couldn’t do it. I couldn’t spend that much on something disposable. I almost considered a fake tree, but then I remembered my stance on fake trees in our house. Our last stop was to Albertsons to get the dogs their weekly supply of beef beans and bread for meals (I told you my dogs were spoiled) and scored a 7 foot tree on sale for 30 bucks. It’s completely full and the branches are thick enough for our heavy ornaments.

While out on our tree journey, we stopped off at the mecca that is Starbucks to get a tall nonfat peppermint mocha and a grande nonfat ginerbread latte (meester’s drink of choice since the smell of his eggnog latte yesterday made my stomach churn). The little diva Miss M. has developed an affinity for the peppermint mocha. Yes, that’s right, even our dogs have expensive caffeine habits. And why is it that I had no issue with her licking the lid and then taking a sip? Is that not disgusting?

(and before you get all up in my shit for giving my dog a chocolate caffeine beverage, it was a miniscule amount off the top of the lid, she’s completely fine, except for the fact that she thinks she can fly).

Rob December 4, 2005 at 2:48 pm

It has gotten truly ridiculous over the past few years. I think though that they decrease the price the longer the tree has been on the lot… for example, we got one a few years ago for $35 and it was dried up and losing needles in a week. Last year, got one for about $60 and it lasted a month.

By the way, I’m looking to get my wife a nice handbag for Christmas and saw you mentioned Coach. Any advice on finding a nice classic-looking Coach bag?

ciz December 4, 2005 at 6:04 pm

dont worry, your lil dog will live…… i had one of those and it would only eat people food,chocolate,gum and cat food and she lived to be 13

the dog i have now, got a whole bar of hersey’s off the table and that was a month ago … guess what she will live also ……

just like people , what wont kill them will make them stronger LOL

Erin December 4, 2005 at 6:51 pm

My princess, ahem, dog, shared my love for coffee with me every morning – she had her own little puddle of coffee that I poured into her bowl – and she lived to the ripe old age of 16.

Jenn December 4, 2005 at 6:55 pm

Here in Maryland we just got a decent tree for $30 :)

Helen December 4, 2005 at 11:55 pm

The Meester has great taste (naturally, since he chose you, right?) I have a venti nonfat no whip gingerbread latte as often as possible on London days. I once had four of them in a day and no food, which migh explain the twitching and inability to form complete sentences later that evening….

steff December 5, 2005 at 6:50 am

When we lived in Colorado we couldnt touch a nice sized tree for under $85. Now that we live here in TX we found a nice 8ft tree for $28. Could not believe it!

Now…if I could just keep those needles off the floor.

Donna December 5, 2005 at 1:24 pm

I think we are going to skip the whole tree business this year. There are a hundred trees within 10 feet of the house, why bring one inside? Bah humbug.

Manuela December 5, 2005 at 3:15 pm

Ya know… it didn’t gross me out in the least… in fact… I found it rather cute.

One of my cats regularly takes a sip out of my morning glass of water when I’m in the bathroom… and I don’t care… I still drink from the glass. It’s just a sip for pete’s sake.

And as for spoiled dogs… well… I know you and I have chatted about this in the past… but my dog not only LOVES Starbucks latte’s (of which I always save him a tiny little slurp at the bottom of the cup just so we can laugh at his nose buried in the cup and his pure euphoria as he tips the Grande cup up in the air to catch the last drop), but he LOVES tuna nigiri… loves it. If we bring home sushi he dances in circles hoping he’ll get a piece. Wasabi and all.