Christmas in California just means drivers piss you off more than usual.

by statia on December 1, 2005

After all of the hurricanes blew my friends houses away down south, we decided that maybe the south isn’t really a smart choice. We love the warm weather, we hate California, it was really a logical choice.

But I kind of like it when my house stays put and doesn’t go all Auntie Em on me (shut up, hurricanes can do that too).

As much as I hate the cold weather and snow, I have to admit (and if you tell anyone, I’ll deny it….) that I’m kinda missing the snow a tiny bit. Teeny. It just doesn’t ever feel like the holidays here in California because decorating the non native palm trees just doesn’t seem normal to me. Freezing your tits off as you make your way to your relatives house seems more normal. I’m finding it hard to get into the Christmas mood this year.

The meester likes Philadelphia and I of course LOVE Philadelphia and miss it to death. I’ve been dreaming of all of the things that I miss and things that I look forward to when we actually move back. Because, yes, hopefully, within the next year, we’ll move back.

Wawa cheese pretzels
cheesesteaks (preferably ones on the standard Amoroso rolls, not fucking wheat bread). Don’t forget the whiz.
New Hope in the fall.
Girls nights.
Making a permanent ass print on Buzz’s new barstools.
BUDDHA!!!
Making Mac my own personal knitting teacher. (Sorry you had to find out like this Mac).
Snow days. (which will get old in five minutes)
Happy hours with good friends.
Bad Philadelphia drivers (at least they’re predictable)
Watching G-man’s reaction playing in the snow again.
Watching Miss M. tantrum over it (“you expect me to outside, in THAT?”)
Feeling at home again.

I could go on, but this entry is starting to get way too sappy for my tasted and I’m German dammit.

(This entry brought to you by parenthesis.)

Empress December 1, 2005 at 12:19 pm

Our bar stools are just awaiting for your asses! C’mon back!!

Empress December 1, 2005 at 12:21 pm

(I had to come back and make sure I said “YOUR” asses and not “YOU” asses, ’cause that would just be rude!)

geeky December 1, 2005 at 12:28 pm

did you know there are Wawa’s in Virginia now? there are! of course, not in my town, but there is one about a mile from my parents house.

i’m going to be in the philly area this year for christmas (visiting the family), and i can’t wait! i’m hoping for cheesesteaks and snow. and i should get to catch at least one Eagles game on TV… i’m so excited.

Lisa December 1, 2005 at 1:22 pm

I’d love it if you’d move back. I’ll even come down to Philly and visit you. ;) And you could come up to Boston in not-winter and we could try to stay out of trouble. ;)

amy t. December 1, 2005 at 2:19 pm

Cold is okay. It’s snow that loses its charm after about a week. And you’re right. It would feel really weird to decorate a palm tree for Christmas.

penguintarts December 1, 2005 at 2:48 pm

When I moved here to DC I was introduced to the love, the desire, the need that is WaWa…I don’t know how I could live without them now. All Hail The WaWa!

April December 2, 2005 at 7:41 am

In Miami the first time I went to buy a tree the person next to me had on cut offs and a bikini top. It never felt right there either. We spent Christmas on the beach.

I’m learning to love the cold, folding myself into warm sweaters and scarves… but I can see Amy’s point. I like it now, but we’ll see if I still feel that way in say – February.

julie December 2, 2005 at 9:20 am

don’t tease me! hehe

fran3000 December 2, 2005 at 12:34 pm

hmmmm……parenthesis……

mac December 2, 2005 at 7:10 pm

I can’t believe you and your fucking 18 million tupperware clothes containers are moving back to Philly. Heh! Crazy kids.

But I’ll gladly be your knitting teacher.

Buddha December 3, 2005 at 7:36 am

ME? A reason for coming back to Philly? I feel so special. We all welcome you guys with open arms!!
I’ll be in Buzz’s and the Empress’s basement with my ass on the barstool!

thalia December 4, 2005 at 11:53 am

Oh I miss Philly too. Going back for New Year, looking forward to visiting some old haunts.