To regulate or not to regulate, that is the question

by statia on November 29, 2005

You know, there’s a reason why I’m not religious. Because when one religious zealot gets a stick up his ass, a bunch of other lemmings follow suit and it results in this sort of shit that pisses me off.

I know that most likely the noise will die down on this issue, but the fact that it’s in the public eye is enough to make me uneasy. It’s an issue that’s obviously very near and dear to my heart.

If there’s going to be any regulation on IVF, it should be with the insurance companies, mandating that they pay for a couple of cycles, including the medications. Not regulate who is deemed fit to have IVF.

Tonya November 29, 2005 at 11:43 pm

Hear hear! All this talk of Holier Than Thou uterii just disgusts me. I also think it is ridiculous how much paperwork people have to go through to adopt, vs. birthing a child yourself, most fertiles don’t need to do squat. My insurance company covers up to two IUIs –or– IVFs, which to me is totally ludicrous because those procedures are on totally different scales in terms of cost and meds. But, I am grateful for the coverage.

Let’s hope the fervor dies down before anyone tries to regulate our bits any further, eh?

Rob November 30, 2005 at 6:00 am

Yet we laugh and mock societies that control every aspect of a woman’s sexual life for religious reasons. Ironic no?

Lenni November 30, 2005 at 6:46 am

I can’t understand how people think this issue is about “life”. Its about women’s rights, and its just crazy these religious people who are causing such harm to women trying to force their ideals on others.

Jenn November 30, 2005 at 8:48 am

Damn that pissed me off. First, IVF does not use cloning techniques per se. Two, if they only want to create enough embryos that can be safely implanted are they going to cover the MULTIPLE attempts at IVF it would take to have a chance at success? They make it sound like we’re out there just creating as many embryos as possible for the hell of it.

Helen November 30, 2005 at 12:05 pm

Oh yes, the HFEA. The authority we had to pay the ransom of a small country for, who get to talk to our doctors, research our criminal records (or lack of, in our case), and ask us detailed questions about everything, suprisingly not asking about dick size was about the only thing they didn’t ask (his, not mine).

It scares me that the world is heading this way. You don’t need a license to get liquored up, spread your legs and let the swimmers do the work in the “average” pregnancy, how great it is to pay an arm and a leg AND get investigated if you are infertile! It’s like the gift that keeps on giving!

I think you should lead the Church of the Pink Medicated Mommies*. Now that’s a church I would go to and respect.

*Honorary membership to Katie Holmes, who will need it when the psycho dumps her and takes the kid.

Manuela November 30, 2005 at 1:21 pm

This kind of thing scares the CRAP out of me… and makes me want to kiss the Canadian soil on which I live!!!

Donna November 30, 2005 at 1:25 pm

This is just another example of religion being foisted upon the general population. Its science people! Makes me want to move back to Canada. Plus Manuela is there.

Merrin November 30, 2005 at 3:21 pm

I don’t fucking think so. Let’s see some of our congressmen have their weiners regulated and see where that gets us. Damn. That really pisses me off.