Let me be your animal

by statia on May 23, 2005

I’m not sure what’s worse, the fact that I spent a lot of money on a vacuum, or the fact that me and the meester are both really excited about this vacuum. After deciding on the tivo over the vacuum last month we saved up our pennies and finally splurged on the Dyson Animal. First off, let me just say that I now own a purple vacuum, and am the coolest person ever. Purple is one of my all time favorite colors. You may all be envious now of my purple vacuum.

I’ve had a bunch of vacuums since moving out on my own, and I know a good vacuum from a bad vacuum. The dyson had gotten excellent reviews, as well as some testamonials from personal friends and coworkers, we figured it’d be worth the money to have something good. Especially with G-man, which makes me picky about a vacuum. His hair sticks to everything and then weaves itself into whatever it sticks to.

The dyson has some cool features. Like never having to touch the dust bin. Totally self contained and detachable, you just hold it over the garbage, push a button and the lid swings open and everything falls out of the bottom. The drawback to this, is that we have a dog, so the poofy hair gets stuck up in there, and you have to shake it, creating a minor dust cloud. The fact that we do have a dog, this is probably a given. It comes with all the attachments and then some. The standard attachments that most vacuums come with, work pretty well, but the hose suction doesn’t seem as strong once you put the attachment on. The attachment hose is kind of akward to use too.

Now, onto the one stupid piece of shit attachment that I thought would come in handy: The mini turbine head. This is one of the main reasons I bought the Animal in the first place. I could have just gone with the standard DC14 and saved myself 100 bucks. Sweet mother of christ this thing is just a total piece of shit. I wanted to “take the mini turbine head out back and punch it in the face.” Who the hell thought this thing was a good idea? Cause Mr. Dyson, I have news for you, this thing is the piece of shit to top all piece of shits.

All in all, the vacuum is good. I’m not sure if it’s worth $500, but I would say it picks up about 99% of G-man hair, which is probably about as good as I’m going to get with the massive shedder that I have. But if you’re going to go out and buy the animal for the claims, get the regular dyson.

M@ May 23, 2005 at 11:30 am

Have you seen the new one, the Dyson Ball? For some reason it creeps me out a little. And doesn’t Mr. Dyson look like the guy that plays C-3PO?

buddha May 23, 2005 at 11:33 am

You could have saved another $200 bucks and have gotten an Oreck.

THE ORECK ROCKS ASS!!!

geeky May 23, 2005 at 11:41 am

i’ve been wondering about those dyson vaccuums. thanks for the info

robyn May 23, 2005 at 2:03 pm

I am SO glad to hear your review! We’ve thought about neglecting college savings plans for one of those things, and…well…not so much now after reading this. As cool as it would be to have a purple vacuum and all.

Chris Vicious May 23, 2005 at 2:37 pm

Personally, I would have gone with a second Tivo. Wallowing in filth isn’t all that bad.

Deltus May 24, 2005 at 12:44 pm

So, if I were to get the base model, it’d be a worthy buy then? We’re shopping for a new vacuum, and would have to travel to Niagara Falls, NY to get it (stupid Dyson doesn’t currently sell in Canada).

Cinders May 24, 2005 at 3:16 pm

Killing vacuums is my hobby. Much rather buy a modest cheap one and throw it away when it dies – and trust me, they all do! (1 springer spanial, 6 cats and two waist length haired teens – sigh!)

sphinx May 25, 2005 at 2:42 pm

We bought a new one when we moved and we checked out the Dyson. Mr Sphinx broke a piece off of it right in the store …so it didn’t pass my test.

I need to only own things he can’t break and the poor Dyson didn’t make it past the first 5 minutes.

This test works for all kinds of things too, like silverwear (if he can bend it in the sotre we won’t own it). If you’ve seen bent silverwear at Target, that was us.

The Age Of Reason May 27, 2005 at 5:10 pm

It certainly does suck

So I have my Oreck vacuum. I like it. My wife is a little more partial to any vacuum that has some sort of hoses to suck up the little pieces of Boo Berry when I drop them. And I…

Tom May 27, 2005 at 5:14 pm

I like my Oreck. Though it doesn’t have attachments, its super light, powerful, and does floors as well as carpets.

Living on a farm we track all kinds of dirt onto our hardwood, and before the oreck we had to sweep it constantly. Now with simple run with the Oreck, it’s clean.

The weight comes in handy because my wife has carpal tunnel, and this vacuum, she can handle.

Sometimes simpler is better.

And I know what you mean about those turbine attachments. Pieces of shiat.