The neighbors complain about the noises above

by statia on April 7, 2005

We got new neighbors about 2 or 3 months ago. I swear I must have some seriously bad karma going on for them to put a kid above us. Normally this wouldn’t bother me but every single place that I’ve lived, that had an apartment above me, lived a 2-3 year old kid, and every single time, the parents were dickheads. Never did their kids go to bed before 11pm, never did they make them stop running around their apartment really loudly, ever. Not even after asking them nicely, or after complaining several times to the management office, did they stop. Now, look, I understand that kids aren’t exactly always agreeable with the parents and stuff. I understand that getting a toddler to settle down isn’t like turning a switch on and off, but come on. You’d think the parents would at least have some courtesy if they have people living underneath them. Or maybe, just maybe the rental office would have some compassion and put them into a ground floor unit.

They must have complained about the dog recently because we had a complaint from the office that dog hair was blowing up onto their porch, which is probably because I was brushing him outside. He’s not exactly sparse in the hair department. And had they just come to us directly, instead of bitching about us to the office, I would have gladly said no problem, but lately, I’m cranky, tired and perpetually pissed off.

It’s so on now.

mikey April 8, 2005 at 1:43 am

yeah, i know your pain. we have a family of leadfoots upstairs. but at least they’re nice (most of the time).

geeky April 8, 2005 at 3:41 am

i’ve learned to live with the constant stomping from the assholes above me, as long as their dog doesn’t bark all the fucking time and they’re not running their washer (which is right above my bed) at midnight or 6:30am.

Jonathan April 8, 2005 at 8:01 am

Obviously you need to collect a big bag of dog hair and blow it under their door when they’re not home.

Deltus April 8, 2005 at 8:51 am

Get incriminating pictures. Apply some leverage. Problem solved. Better living through blackmail, it’s done well by the mafia for over a century!

sarah April 8, 2005 at 9:54 am

I expected a different sort of post from the title. What a great song to have stuck in my head for a couple hours. :) Good luck w/ the neighbors.

Southern Chaos April 8, 2005 at 10:06 am

I HATED living in an apartment, it’s so nice to be in a house now with no one above us. We were on the bottom floor too, and it was like we had apes living above us every time we had a new neighbor. We NEVER had anyone quiet I complained until I was blue in the face to the office, but it didn’t do any good. It’s hard to imagine there are such selfish people out there, but there are, and most of them live in apartments. Good luck.

Tw April 8, 2005 at 2:09 pm

You’re pregnant, aren’t you?

robyn April 8, 2005 at 3:13 pm

Tw, you don’t by chance work in an emergency room do you? You know…you go in because you’re bleeding from the head, and the very first thing they want to know is if you’re pregnant… So naturally if a female complains about their upstairs neighbor’s children jumping on your ceiling, it’s a question that also begs asking (no matter how personal a topic it might be). By a total stranger. With an e-mail address I’d bet the mortgage on that’s faked.

Besides, have you even read this blog long enough to know how incredibly rude it is to ask the owner that question — and why?

Sheesh.

fran April 8, 2005 at 4:14 pm

FUDGE ‘EM!

Pamela April 8, 2005 at 4:55 pm

I can actually hear the ass squeak of the person above me as he or she takes a late night bath in the apartment above me… Ass. Squeak.

Deltus April 8, 2005 at 9:31 pm

Ass squeak. BAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

missy April 13, 2005 at 11:51 am

Ha ha ha, we had those neighbors BELOW us once. They let the kids run and scream at the tops of their lungs, would let the kids throw shit in the apartment. we never bitched about it, because hey, its a part of apartment living. then they had the nerve to complain to mgmt one time when we dropped something in the middle of the day. Fuckers. It was on then.. We started kickboxing with the heavy bag at about 10pm every night for a week. They moved shortly after :)

Jen April 14, 2005 at 6:18 pm

We were the 2nd floor apartment people. Lived there for 18 months with no problem (we have 2 young kids) because I was always on them about being quiet. New couple moved in (the 3rd because we are military and even off post apartments change hands like you wouldn’t believe), our “courtesy officer” from the apartment complex started visiting us DAILY. No matter the assholes downstairs had a dog that barked all the time and they played their stereo loud at 1am. My mistake I guess was trying to be the nice guy and not complaining, I should have complained first. I always told our kids they had to walk and practically whisper because “the people downstairs are sleeping” (no matter what time of day it was). I wanted to get our older son a pogo stick right before we moved out but hubby wouldn’t go for it, lol. I don’t know why they don’t make the floor/ceiling/walls thicker in apartments. Cheap assholes.