Take the long way home

by statia on April 19, 2005

So we finally got our Tivo yesterday, and let me just say that this whole setting up process is SO not worth it. I want to ship the fucker back and get the Dyson Animal, which was one of our other presents we were considering getting for ourselves. I know, vacuum…tivo….vacuum….TIVO!! We need a new vacuum badly but the Tivo was on sale. So there you go.

Our problem with the tivo is that we don’t have a phone line, which is no big deal because it can work with broadband, and we have wireless all up in this joint because we’re geeks. Plug.and.play. These are the sweetest words to someone who has a torrid love affair with instant gratification. This hasn’t been the plug and play experience I was hoping for. Not even a plug…take maybe 45 minutes to set up… and then play experience. This is now going on 2 days and almost 6 hours of trying to configure. All because I don’t want a phone line where telemarketers even stand a chance of calling me. And why does tivo ship a unit (heh, unit) out with a version of software that’s a least 3-4 upgrades old? In order for the broadband to work, we need version 7.something. We had 4.something. There’s like a 17 year waiting list for 7.something, even if you put yourself on the “priority list”. Priority list. For a software upgrade.

So essentially, until it pushes the upgrade, years from now, when the box will be rendered useless, I have yet another electronic box sitting in my living room, collecting the mass amounts of dust our house seems to create. Being annoyed causes run on sentences. Stop putting shit in the coffee.

I have this record button on my digital cable box that I’m going to go play with now and make pretend it’s tivo.

dave April 19, 2005 at 7:22 pm

Can you bring the TiVo to a place (work? a friend’s house?) that has a phone line and a monitor? Then just do the setup there, except entering your own info (zip code, cable company, etc.). At this point, you should get the update that enables the WiFi USB adapter pretty quickly (we’re a few updates past that now).

Once you get the updated box back home, you can customize anything else you need to, including getting it on the network.

I’ve been using Tivo for 4 years, and TiVo through WiFi for 2 of them. Even if you use WEP encryption on your wireless LAN, the setup is really not difficult.

Deltus April 19, 2005 at 9:31 pm

I have to agree with Dave. If the problem is that it’ll get set up all nice-nice with a phone line, borrow a phone line. If possible, that is.

I have to hand it to Rogers Cable, the provider of my DVR (and the cable company as well). Setup of my DVR took 10 minutes total. Really effortless.

Jonathan April 20, 2005 at 1:44 am

Yeah, it’s all really really easy to set up. A breeze. You must be doing something wrong, it shouldn’t take more than 10 minutes. If it is, I’d just start the whole process over from scratch.

That’s what my good friend Dr. Wallace suggested anyway.

sphinx April 20, 2005 at 5:58 am

*Scoots butt across the floor in front of tivo*

huy April 20, 2005 at 6:38 am

As much as I think I want TiVO, the more I read, the less I kind of want it. I’ll just stick with my DVR from the cable company. It’s worked almost perfectly.

Kevin Donahue April 20, 2005 at 11:28 am

Overnight it to me. I’ll set it up and overnight it back.

Cinders April 20, 2005 at 1:38 pm

Sorry, I would have gone with the vacuum!

Ari April 21, 2005 at 7:26 am

Once you do get it all configured you will never look at TV the same again.

fran April 21, 2005 at 7:52 am

fuckin’ tivo…..*shakes fist at it*

ann April 25, 2005 at 5:26 pm

delurking to tell you that i have both toys and love them each in their own separate way. it’s kind of like how i feel about both of my sons – i love them both, just differently. tivo is the greatest invention ever, but it is so 3 years ago. now the animal, well, what can i say? the first time you use one, you will be aghast at what comes up out of your carpets. oh, a slight caveat about the dyson – they do not work well on area rugs – they are really meant for wall to wall. for $500, i think they should be good at both, but just be forewarned – if you have tons of area rugs, you might be disappointed.
oh, we have our tivo up on our wireless w/no issues. i’m sure you’ve gotten it straightened out by now. our 80hr is ~ 2.5 years old and the hard drive is starting to go. if you’re feeling really geeky one day, you can hack into the box and play around – google tivo tips and tricks.
okay, bye.