My thoughts on the tivolution

by statia on April 22, 2005

So after three days of fucking with the tivo, it’s finally all set up and even has stuff scheduled and recorded!! Wheeee. My first thoughts on the tivo, disappointing. Now, I’ve only had it for what, less than a week, and set up for 2.5 days, so give me a minute to go through and get used to it, which I probably will, but so far, the hype on it is insane. Yeah, I do like that I’ll never miss another show, no commercials ever again, and I can pause live tv, but I find the user interface cumbersome. I started to watch the family guy last night, and I didn’t really think the quality of the recording was great. And our quality is set to high, so I don’t really understand what the deal was. Yeah, anyway, I know Tivo has been out forever, and I’ve wanted it since I first heard about it on Stern, like 6 years ago, but so far, eh, I’m not that impressed with it.

There, that’s right, I said it. I’m not impressed with Tivo. Stone me now.

Merrin April 22, 2005 at 3:26 pm

It takes about two weeks to learn to love it, and about two months before you realize you can’t live without it.

robyn April 22, 2005 at 3:34 pm

I don’t even know you anymore…

No seriously, what Merrin said. It was just a novel toy — a concept with buttons — when we first got it last January. By summer, they would’ve had to pried it out of my cold, dead hands.

tj April 22, 2005 at 3:34 pm

huh huh, you’re gonna get stoned.

well, let me know if merrin is right. we’re getting ready to switch from cable to directv and might get the tivo option … we’ll see. anything’s gotta be better quality than our 10 year old vcr. hehe.

mikey April 22, 2005 at 3:57 pm

what Merrin and Rob said – once you learn to use it and get really comfortable with it, you won’t know how you got along without it for so long.

tricia April 22, 2005 at 4:18 pm

*stone*

dave April 22, 2005 at 6:26 pm

The interface is the only thing that makes TiVo a TiVo. If you don’t like it, save yourself the time and money (might be a little late for that) and build a PVR on commodity Intel hardware and open source software.

About the video quality–If you recorded at best quality and the picture isn’t up to snuff, it’s likely your video cable between the TiVo and the monitor. I went through 4 or 5 different S-Video cables, and even the super-expensive Monster Cable wasn’t that great.

Lisa April 22, 2005 at 6:38 pm

I love mine. Though… I’m going to go to Comcast and get their DVR because it means: 1) cheaper than the Tivo for monthly fees, 2) no phone line so that money is saved too.

heather April 24, 2005 at 2:15 pm

Have you tried the online scheduling- you can sign up at tivo.com. It’s much easier to find want you want with that. And I agree with the rest of the group- it took a while to get used to and the setup was such a pain. Then I was watching TV somewhere else and I realized how much I really did love Tivo!

fran April 25, 2005 at 10:10 am

you’ll like it….eventually….i have to say even i am a little attracted by it and i don’t even watch t.v. but the thought of no commercial television is very appealing to me….

Deltus April 25, 2005 at 7:37 pm

Could you give us a 2-weeks-from-now update on your TiVo feelings?