I see London I see France

by statia on April 28, 2005

So yesterday, while at lunch, we caught a bit of the news on TV. Apparently, the new Airbus 380 (which I was just hearing about for the first time) took its maiden voyage. The Airbus 380 is just another case of “if big is good, supersize must be the best.” It’s capable of carrying up to 840 passengers, and of course is mainly targeting international travel markets. This thing is a behemoth. I mean, seriously, in a time where flight travel is down and airlines are going bankrupt, they come out with a plane that can carry more people? With the cost of fuel being what it is, I can only imagine what the price of a ticket on this plane will be.

And you know the sad thing? The first thing that the meester and I thought when we saw this? “I wonder how long it’ll take before one is hijacked, blown up or taken down.”

geeky April 28, 2005 at 7:50 am

the first thing i thought was “there’s no way in hell that thing will get off the ground with 840 fat americans in it”.

Annastazia April 28, 2005 at 8:22 am

I had virtually the exact same thoughts, but adding, “Who in the hell wants to be on a plan with 840 other people?” Blech. It’s like flying in a crowded mall.

fleecey April 28, 2005 at 9:44 am

i can barely stand being in a room with 3 other people, let alone being on a plane with 839.

ha ha- totally how long until it’s hijacked, or some other such disaster?

Deltus April 28, 2005 at 11:11 am

Actually, I think that the larger planes have a smaller cost-per-passenger that smaller planes. So, if you do have it somewhere close to capacity, it will cut down of costs for the trans-Atlantic flights. Mind you, there’ll also probably be fewer flights because of it, since it’s a consolidation of passenger capacity and all.

fran April 28, 2005 at 11:49 am

ahhhh, yes….the Airbus 380….

i built that you know, with my bare hands….

Faith April 28, 2005 at 11:51 am

My favorite statistic for that mutha is that it apparently only takes 90 seconds to unload all 850 on board in an emergency. (Of course, the emergency would have to be an emergency landing where nothing actually happens…because I’m pretty sure that in an emergency explosion, or whatever, they wouldn’t have to worry about evacuating people…) I’d like to see that in action. In an actual emergency, of course. Because there ain’t NO WAY 850 people would be able to calmly unload themselves from that thing if it were threatening to explode, or something.

kat April 28, 2005 at 5:18 pm

I had the exact same thoughts. …lol

Angela April 29, 2005 at 1:36 am

I would think it would be cheaper to fly due to the high passenger capacity… but if you’re really interested, my friend Dan at http://glacons.blogspot.com/ is one of the people who helped get that sucker up. According to his latest blog entry, he’s been working on this since 1996. Quite a feat. :)

Princess April 29, 2005 at 2:04 pm

Heh. They still have a lot of hurdles to cross with the FAA before they can put one of those into U.S. airspace – big, flaming hurdles. Pass the popcorn – this will take a while.

mikey April 29, 2005 at 2:27 pm

coming soon: Titanic II: Airbus 380.

i dunno. with that many people on it, it just sounds like an accident waiting to happen. but hey, ya never know…