Sponsored by the eekin’ of my ass

by statia on March 3, 2005

There’s nothing worse than having a radio station change formats. I’m such a creature of habit. Even worse is having it switch while you’re on vacation. It makes you feel as if you haven’t been there in over a year. I found out last week from my friend back in Philadelphia that my old favorite station, y100, was dumped. It was just about the only alternative station. It’s the nature of the radio beast, but because the station was doing well, people are pretty pissed off back home. I’ve never seen an entire web page dedicated to bringing a station back. Just another way my fellow Philadelphians are passionate, and I like that. Luckily the morning show hosts are popular enough that they’ve been given a new home where they can continue their show.

Here, it seems like radio stations change format on a daily basis. At least 3 of the 6 stations I listen to have changed formats already, and I’ve lived here for only 7 months. It’s kind of sad. And this whole y100 thing makes me feel as if I’ve been gone from Philly far longer than I really have been. Things change so fast.

Currently, during my whole ten minute commute to work, I listen to a very mild show, Sarah and No Name (No Name is also the voice of Boiling Point), which I know I’ve mentioned before, and it isn’t bad. This week, Kevin Smith is guest hosting. He’s kind of a pompous guy, but at the same funny enough to have kind of turned their “happy little radio show” upside down, in a refreshing way. I can’t deal with music in the morning. I need to just hear the sound of voices, because it’s the only time I don’t want to talk, or think. At least for this week, it’s good to have some spice to my morning commute. Thank you Silent Bob, for not being so silent.

tj March 3, 2005 at 8:05 am

WHFS was the true alternative station here in dc and they recently changed to latin american format. hello, what!?

so many people were pissed … but you know, if the station wasn’t making money, they gotta do what they gotta do.

good news is, WHFS is still running, but online. so they play better music because they don’t have to answer to advertisers and infinity broadcasting!

buddha March 3, 2005 at 8:15 am

That’s right…y100 is no longer. What’s worse is that it’s turned into yet another hip-hoppity music station. It’s 50 cent all day and all night.

As you know..the only stations left are 93.3 and 94.1. For all of your Led Zepplin needs..

geeky March 3, 2005 at 8:41 am

i used to listen to y100 when i lived in philly, and i seem to remember them getting cancelled once before, shortly after i moved away. maybe they’ll be back? they were the best radio station in the area though. sad.

in richmond, instead of changing formats they’ve been firing hosts left and right. it all started right after the boobiegate scandal. at least 3 radio stations have gotten new hosts and / or new formats since then. crazy.

also, totally jealous of you listening to kevin smith in the morning. i think he’s the funniest man alive.

Faith March 3, 2005 at 9:03 am

KC was without an alternative station for about 4 years in the mid-late 90′s. I had moved back to Cali during the time they didn’t have one, thank God, but I still got in on the whole e-mailing campaign to complain to the company that was allowing for the only decent station we had left to change over to a Britney Spears love-fest station.

Now we’re back to having a regular old alternative station, 96.5 The Buzz. It’s decent enough, and it’s my background music during the day, so I’m grateful for it. Because I used to tune into the classical station (the only one we have here in town is on the a.m. dial, I shit you not), until it started going wonky, and I couldn’t get reception for it in my office any more.

Anyway. I hate it when stations change formats, too. It sucks. And I don’t understand why it’s always the alternative stations that seem to get shafted…

fran March 3, 2005 at 10:12 am

wow, you’ve been here for 7 months? it doesn’t seem that long…time does fly by real quick….

Ari March 3, 2005 at 10:31 am

Its amazing, its because Kevin SMith is an East Coast guy (jersey guy) we like to turn it up an ddown.

Deltus March 3, 2005 at 12:10 pm

Radio will soon be dead anyway. Wireless internet right to your car, where you can listen to whatever internet broadcast you want. It’s coming.

Julie March 3, 2005 at 8:27 pm

I just found you today. I love your site!

robyn March 3, 2005 at 9:44 pm

Man, that sucks – I listened to Y100 when I lived there decades ago, and thought I’d died and gone to heaven after Oklahoma radio.

We’ve been in Tampa Bay 8 years now, and the ‘alternative‘ station here plays Ricky Martin and Eric Clapton from time to time. Ummm. Yeah. We listen to sports radio.