So, I have this friend, who has this… rash..

by statia on March 7, 2005

So say we have these friends that are moving to Florida in Julyish. They have two cars. One Expedition, which they plan on driving to Florida, and a Nissan 350Z that they’d like to have shipped/transported across country. Has anyone had good luck with a company and what would it cost approximately? Any advice? Bueller? Bueller?

Ms. Pants March 7, 2005 at 9:05 am

When I wanted to ship mine from CA to OH, I remember it being exclamation expensive. As in, when they told me the price, I believe I exclaimed, “Holy shit!”

Then I blacked out.

So I don’t remember the price they quoted, but it wasn’t anywhere near cheap.

geeky March 7, 2005 at 10:06 am

give me the keys, and i’ll drive the Z :)

Lisa March 7, 2005 at 10:43 am

I used to work for a car museum here in Canton, OH and was responsible for shipping vehicles across the country, and across the world. If you’d like, have them email me and I can try to help as best I can. They definitely want a covered wagon, even though it’s more expensive, unless they don’t mine their cute Z getting all tore up on the trip across country. And that would be just plain bad. So yeah, have them email me, or just let me know and I’ll get them a list of carriers and what not.

buddha March 7, 2005 at 10:47 am

I know of a company. It’s “Chin’s Transport Inc”. He..er..THEY will transport it free of charge. He..er THEY only need to be reimbursed for fuel anc food.

So…these “Friends” of yours moving to Florida…what’s that all about?

donna March 7, 2005 at 10:52 am

Yeah, not cheap. It goes by weight, so there you go. A car obviously weighs a lot.

It would definitely be cheaper to pay someone to drive it for you – a family member or something.

fran March 7, 2005 at 12:39 pm

i say, tell your friends to sell the 350z and with the money they get from the car pay the moving costs….and you’ll probably have a little left. not much, but enough to buy a geo metro in florida.

skits March 7, 2005 at 2:40 pm

Yeah, expensive is the word. I sold my car before I moved, just avoid the high cost of shipping. :/

Deltus March 7, 2005 at 9:35 pm

Don’t they have organizations where someone wants to get to Florida around that time, and they’ll drive your car for you, and you pay for their gas? Your car gets transported, they get to Florida, it’s win-win.

Ms. Pants March 8, 2005 at 7:30 am

Do they have a dog with opposable shrimp thumbs? Cos maybe he could drive it?

Princess March 8, 2005 at 3:03 pm

I still don’t get leaving a temperate, mostly dry clime for a hot & humid one… but that’s probably because I did the reverse.

ciz March 8, 2005 at 7:17 pm

yeah sista ur stuck like chuck !! when i was gona move here from pa, i called to see how much it would cost and i almost threw the phone …… ur better driving both or something . plus they told me i could not pack the car up and it could take like 2 weeks to get it

missy March 16, 2005 at 10:30 am

when we moved from atl to indy, we had the van line ship the jeepjeep in the back of the moving van. The company we were going to paid for it, so i cant comment on cost, but United Van Lines is who we used, and they did an awesome job. It was weird to see Isi drive the jeep into the moving van and park it next to our bedframe.
If cost is prohibitive for that option, maybe they could put a hitch on the expedition and get a tow-bar to tow the Z behind it.