Girl power

by left_blank on February 25, 2005

There is a trend happening with regard to college — more women are graduating from college than men.

more young women than men are receiving bachelor?s degrees — reversing a trend that existed up until the mid-1980s. And although girls consistently have earned high school diplomas at higher rates than boys, the percentage of boys graduating from high school in 2001 dipped for the first time to below 1985 levels.

Land said the Internet boom of the mid-1990s also lured more young men than women away from school prior to completion of their bachelor?s degrees with the prospects of earning big salaries and stock options in a thriving economy.

“Men respond more to increases in market opportunities than women because they generally can make more money than women,” Land said. “These young fellows heard the roar of the dot-com market and they ran toward it.”

If the trend continues, it makes me wonder if we might be moving to a time when the country will be dominated by businesses controlled by women. If less men are getting degrees and that trend continues, it only stands to reason that there will eventually come a time when there are more women at the helm than there currently are. And if women are in charge of business, will that also translate to women being more prominent in politics?

When I was in high school and got my heart broken, I used to sit around and fantasize about what it might be like if women just took over. Just banish all guys to a special island where they were milked for their sperm and forgotten about. It’s not like we couldn’t get along without them, as long as we had access to sperm in case anyone wanted to have kids. Plenty of sex toys for everyone. It would be fine. I dreamt that there was world peace and good karma and everyone was happy.

It’s not like I hate men. I’m married to one. I’m friends with lots of them. I like them just fine. But, let’s face it, men have really fucked up the planet. They’ve been in charge now primarily, lo these last couple thousand years or so [I'm talking recorded history]…and they haven’t really done a bang up job. And I’m not dumb enough to believe that women being in charge would miraculously change all that. Women can be just as vicious and stupid as men — men don’t have a lock on being corrupted by power.

It’s interesting to think of what it might mean, though, if women had a bit more power. Strong, educated women. I prefer to think positive, and think it might be a welcome change. After all, they certainly could do no worse.

sporty February 25, 2005 at 9:36 am

See, that would scare me. For the sole reason that both you and I know, women that have power tend to be really bitchy and difficult to deal with. Sure, if it were you and I, we’d be fine, but I’ve had a lot of women bosses and they were totally irrational. Not to say that I’m slamming women, I think they get a shitty deal too, but…..

fran February 25, 2005 at 10:28 am

i’d be scared shitless if women rule the world…. :P

Helen February 25, 2005 at 10:45 am

I wrote my senior thesis on the idea that men would all be rounded up and kept in Nevada, where they would earn one hour of air conditioning each time they sexually satisfied the ruling women.

I wasn’t bitter or anything.

But I have to agree-I’m not crazy with how women run things…and I am a woman running things.

mikey February 25, 2005 at 10:53 am

ok, this is what i think…

maybe, maybe the workforce will soon be dominated by women… but the men will still hold the majority of the cushy exec jobs. it’s all one big “good ol’ boy” network… a fraternity… and they’ll do anything to keep that power, including screwing over anybody they can to get a leg up.

Deltus February 25, 2005 at 11:04 am

It’s just a trend. Trends change. And as for women being in control of the planet? HUGELY frightening idea. It is women who are the really vicious of the two sexes. Just watch a fight. Between two men? They square off, the other men surround them in a circle, and usually when one of them has clearly won, the fight is over, even if the surrounding men have to stop it. Now, a fight between two women. Friends will join in, ganging up, and when they’ve reached a point where they will inflict injury on another person (women tend to take longer to reach than point than men), they won’t stop when it’s “over”.

Women are the vicious ones. Y’all scare me.

sporty February 25, 2005 at 11:16 am

That’s right bitch. Bring it!!!! No one fucks with me, see?

Jonathan February 26, 2005 at 2:58 pm

Yes, the world could certainly use a lot more women like Margaret Thatcher, Hilary Clinton, Condoleeza Rice, Carly Fiorina, Martha Stewart, Meg Whitman, etc.

But frankly, so far women have demonstrated that they achieve success and fuck up at roughly the same rate as men in politics and at high levels in business.

I’d like to know when men start getting the same kind of financial subsidization as women to compensate for their now inferior graduation levels. Because apparently there’s a problem, and the women must be holding the men back from graduating. Afterall, whenever there’s a statistic that favors men, the conclusion usually drawn is that men are repressing women; thus, it should work equally the opposite direction.

The gold ‘ol boy club doesn’t explain away why women don’t start companies that achieve high levels of success at the same rate as men (even though they start companies at a high rate); or why the last 15 years of spectacular economic success in the US has produced exceptionally few very wealthy women (see Forbes 400 list). I’ve been an entrepreneur for a third of my life, it doesn’t have a glass ceiling, you make your own ceiling. The gold ‘ol boy club routine is a cheap excuse for people afraid of dealing with a significant problem that isn’t easily solved or wiped away by proclaiming: ‘men are holding women back.’ Four example areas on this issue: technical skills reliant upon math, science, etc., upper echelon success financially, in entrepreneurship and in executive management. In all four areas, women fail to reach anything close to a normal ratio compared to men. Why? The good ‘ol boy club simply doesn’t explain it away. And further, for how much longer is that not a pathetic excuse, given that women are graduating higher numbers and control more wealth overall. I.e. women control the majority of wealth that controls the corporations which employ the supposed good ‘ol boy club. Hmmm.

mac February 26, 2005 at 5:45 pm

The problem with Jonathan’s dissertation is that I never once said in that entry that men are holding women back. Not once. So I have no idea what Jonathan’s point was, as his comments lend nothing to the discussion.

Kevin Donahue February 27, 2005 at 8:50 am

Women are great leaders in mixed gender environments. But – banish the men and it just seems to come unwound. For example, just watch the Apprentice when talented, educated, smart women are all grouped together on one team. It’s nothing but iinfighting.

Having more empowered, educated women is the key to moving the world forward, I’m with ya, Mac. But it won’t work if it’s just the women – they’ll tear each other apart.