strap on the feed bags

by statia on January 4, 2005

Ok World Wide Internet, I need your help. I need a nice intimate fancyish restaurant for our wedding dinner. We’re going to be in Maui. I want something good, tasty and kind of fitting with the celebratory day (read: not bubba gumps shrimp or like, burger king).

I know there have got to be people out there that can give us some ideas.

I’ve gotten Roy’s, Hula grill (for another night) and Lahaina Grill.

Hit me with your best shot.

sphinx January 4, 2005 at 8:31 am

I was gonna say the The Low Tide Seafood BBQ Pit…..

buddha January 4, 2005 at 8:44 am

well…speaking as a Hawaiian…

Melissa January 4, 2005 at 8:49 am

Check out http://www.visitmaui.com if you haven’t already. If you select restaurants from the MAUI VISITORS BREAU MEMBERS & SERVICES DATABASE there are a ton of restaurants listed. By the way, do you think you could tuck me in a suitcase? I’d love to go to Hawaii!!

boots January 4, 2005 at 8:58 am

Gerard’s or Nick’s Fishmarket.

boots January 4, 2005 at 9:02 am

If you do go to Gerard’s and the weather is beautiful ask for a table out on the lanai.

Deltus January 4, 2005 at 9:57 am

tj’s brother in law lives in Hawaii, I believe. Not sure if it’s Maui or not. Ask tj to put you in touch with him. Just a suggestion.

geeky January 4, 2005 at 10:07 am

i’m sure i could give you some excellent recommendations if you’ll just TAKE ME WITH YOU.

Laurie January 4, 2005 at 6:01 pm

There’s a restaurant named after the long fish name that begins HUMU… and Mama’s Fish House, and our favorite was the Pacific Grill.

Jennifer January 4, 2005 at 6:36 pm

Huh? There’s a restaurant named Humuhumunukunukuapua’a?! What tard named that?

And, even though I HATE HATE HATE Maui, I do love love love the Upcountry Market. (It’s called “market” but I swear it’s a restaurant.)

I hope you’re ready to see nothing but pineapple fields and more pineapple fields and guess what? MORE PINEAPPLE! And MY GOD! THERE’S SO MUCH WIND! … Don’t forget to bring scrunchies.

Amy January 5, 2005 at 11:40 am

Another vote for Mama’s fish house. Very tasty!

Mr Maui January 5, 2005 at 1:52 pm

Leilani’s on the Beach

Ma January 5, 2005 at 5:20 pm

Mama’s Fish House is our favorite. Tell the Meester to email cousin Bill on Maui. He’ll tell you a good one. The problem is, there are so many!!

BJ January 5, 2005 at 10:09 pm

If you want nice atmosphere, you might want to try a sunset dinner cruise…plus it’s whale season right now so you might get to see some baby whales.

I like Ruth’s Chris steak house in Lahaina or Sam Choy’s isn’t bad, oh and I also liked Casanova’s.

I’m on Oahu now if you want me to send you some more info before you get here I could.

Whatever you decide, have a great time.

Tiffanie January 6, 2005 at 8:46 am

The BEST soul food restaurant that I’ve ever been to was in Maui. It’s not in the Lahaina area but on the Kihea side. It’s called Pszazz..and it’s got a live jazz band on certain days. The address is 1279 S Kihea Rd. They have good greens, mac and cheese and candied yams. I don’t know if that’s what you want or more traditional Hawaiian food. I don’t usually stay on the Lahaina side… so I can’t help there.

Good luck and congratulations on the wedding.

Princess January 6, 2005 at 2:08 pm

When IS the wedding, anyway?
We might want to crash…

jaime January 6, 2005 at 3:41 pm

you prolly want something sorta romantic. when we were there almost 2 years ago and went to dinner here: http://www.grandwailea.com/dining/default.asp#bistro

the views are absolutely breathtaking, esp. around sunset… also try up in kaanapali, there is a fancy schmancy hotel up there and they have a restaurant that is pretty bomb, too bad i can’t remember the name of it….