pear me up

by statia on January 11, 2005

Ask anyone that knows me, I love sugar. I’m a sweets freak, and I could honestly eat pure sugar right out of the bag, which can’t be good for the cavities or the calories. Slowly I’ve switched over to the wonderful Splenda. I seriously don’t know how I lived without this stuff. Regardless of what the possible long term effects could be, and yes, it is a chemical, it’s the closest thing to a sugar sustitute that I actually like. It’s either that or an unhealthy amount of sugar in my coffee, (and by unhealthy amount, I mean my hot beverages that required sugar were more of a thicker syrupy consistency, which I’m sure had enough calories to sustain me for a good two days) and over time, I definitely noticed it on my ass.

I noticed that Del Monte came out with “Carb Clever” (they couldn’t just say low freakin’ calorie? stupid low carb buzz) fruitcups, which are made with Splenda, and honestly, I love them better than the fruit in heavy syrup. They’ve got 20 less calories per serving than pears in light syrup and 60 less calories per serving than pears in heavy syrup. Given my past coffee texture, for me to say that I like them much better with splenda than in heavy syrup, is saying a lot.

I wish everything had a splenda option.

tricia January 11, 2005 at 10:39 am

I HATE fruit cups!! YAAAAAAAAAAY!!!

Empress January 11, 2005 at 10:40 am

Good to know! I bought a bunch but haven’t tried them yet. I like the “carb buzz” stuff – hey Buzzstuff! – it makes me know that they’re using Splenda – it’s like code! Just pretend they’re spelling Splenda C-A-R-B. It works!

Princess January 11, 2005 at 10:55 am

Splenda IS natural. It’s a natural sugar by product – whatever that means. My naturopath recommended it, so it’s got to be natural!

buddha January 11, 2005 at 10:55 am

I quote..

“I wish everything had a splenda option”

That’s an interesting statement…I’ll keep all comments to myself.

BWHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!

jaime January 11, 2005 at 11:14 am

i love me some splenda too! it makes me so happy to find new splenda foods :)

Melissa January 11, 2005 at 11:29 am

I really like the new Apples & Cinnamon Quaker Oatmeal Lower Sugar made with Splenda.

Deltus January 11, 2005 at 11:39 am

Splenda saved my marriage!!! Okay, it’s not THAT great, but it’s pretty damned good.

I think the base ingredient of Splenda is sucralose, which is a derivative of sucrose (sugar), but doesn’t get processed in the body like sugar. It justs tastes about the same.

dania January 11, 2005 at 11:41 am

Splenda is great, but I still can’t have it in my coffee, I can taste that aftertaste. in everything else though it’s great.

I remember the sugar you put in your dunkies coffee that morning hahaha

geeky January 11, 2005 at 12:52 pm

that’s pretty cool, i’ll have to look for them next time i go to the store.

Sque January 11, 2005 at 2:31 pm

I’m in adkins diet hell! I’ll try it! I’ll try ANYTHING THAT RESEMBLES SUGAR AT THIS POINT!!!

zalary January 12, 2005 at 6:44 am

i love splenda too! (and i’m the same with my coffee). unfortunately Mr. Zal was saying that splenda is so overwhelmed with business that they have stopped accepting new customers (as in, brands that wants splenda products). — but of course, i can’t find the article anywhere now, hmph. maybe it’s not true!

robyn January 12, 2005 at 2:49 pm

God, I must be the only one that hurls at even the *thought* of Splenda…

Stephanie January 13, 2005 at 6:15 am

I just saw Hershey’s Hot Fudge Sauce made with Splenda! That is so clever!