Link me!

by statia on November 15, 2004

I’ve gotten emails over time, asking me to link them. Generally, I ignore them. Until recently, where I got an email from someone, not once, but twice over the last couple of months. I responded to the second email, stating that it was tactless (and yes, I used fuck a couple of times in the response too) to ask for a recipricol link, especially given that I never heard anything out of this person. No link, no comment, nada. The person responded with this:

…what makes you so superior by the way? just really curious. nobody else
seems to mind my “spam.”

If you were a regular reader, maybe it’s one of those things where you’ve just not gotten around to linking that person. I know there are a lot of other people out there that I read on a somewhat regular basis, that I just don’t have linked yet. I’ll be the first to admit that I get lazy about it. (blogroll me buttons people, accomodate the lazy, yo.) But, do I think I’m superior? Um no. Anyone that knows me knows that I’m far from thinking that. But does anyone else think the same way I do? I’ve talked to other “seasoned” bloggers who think it’s just not cool. Be honest here.

geeky November 15, 2004 at 8:30 am

the first way to guarantee i won’t link to your site is to ask me to link to it. i’m not a big fan of blatent self promotion.

Ms. Pants November 15, 2004 at 8:30 am

The main reason I made my blogroll private was because I was tired of hearing “can you please blogroll me?” or “maybe on your next round, you’ll add me to your blogroll!” or that kind of shit. I hate that shit. Look, if I want to blogroll you, I will. If you ask to be blogrolled, I’m not gonna do it. Just on fucking principle.

I don’t care who links me. I don’t search blogrolls to see who has me rolled. And anyone who emails or comments asking me to link them? No. Double no. Double no and I’m going to publically make fun of you while not giving you any sort of linkback no.

And at the risk of sounding like the elitest cunt I am: What makes you so superiour is that you know better than to fucking ask someone to link you.

Earn your licks, fuckhole.

buddha November 15, 2004 at 8:34 am

I have no shame….

Please link me?!?!?

sporty November 15, 2004 at 8:35 am

Buddha, you’d also fart in the office as someone is walking by…

w00t!

Ms. Pants November 15, 2004 at 8:44 am

I believe you mean “poot!” there, Sporto.

Marie November 15, 2004 at 8:52 am

It’s very uncool.

Even worse is the “de-linking” that occurs afterwards. Oh no! Someone I’d never heard of before doesn’t link to my blog anymore!

kat November 15, 2004 at 8:56 am

It’s very tacky. I would never ask for a link and I got asked this the other day and just tossed the email. If I get another one from the same person, I will probably go off on them just as you did. It’s rude, it’s tacky. People link because they want to not because they were asked to.

Deltus November 15, 2004 at 8:58 am

It’s the rough equivalent of being at a party and someone you don’t know and have never met walking up to you and saying, “Hi, I’m Ed. Can I be your friend? Say, friend, let’s all get together later, at Doug’s place. You’re coming, right? We can count on you coming? Boy, I love being your best friend!”

Asking for recip links, or anything of that stripe, smacks of social desperation. Don’t just ignore such people. Get the hell away from them.

Rob November 15, 2004 at 9:01 am

I’ve had you linked for quite some time because I enjoy reading your blog, not because I expected some kind of reciprocity. People take this whole incestuous blogosphere way too damned seriously…

tj November 15, 2004 at 9:10 am

i’m with ms pants, i keep my blogroll private too.

but i’m NOT with deltus. there’s nothing wrong with begging people to be your friends. additionally, there is nothing wrong with standing 10 feet behind the “cool” kids and pretending to be a part of their group. i mean, just because they’re not including me in the joke doesn’t mean i can’t laugh. right?

mikey November 15, 2004 at 9:19 am

boy, am I glad that I never asked for reciprocal oral sex…

Ms. Pants November 15, 2004 at 9:31 am

Hey, as long as the oral is reciprocal, I don’t see a problem with that!!

skurdycat November 15, 2004 at 9:34 am

you don’t ask to be linked…earn the link by writing entertaining stuff on your website which make people WANT to link you.

Helen November 15, 2004 at 9:57 am

I got an email from the biggest link whore I’d ever seen in my life. The thing is, I used to link to everyone that was nice enough to link to me. Then I learned that there are lots of people in the world that didn’t have weeble wobbles as children, that are pretty fucking evil, or that get up my nose with their politics, so the de-linkage has been slow but necessary.

I’m with Ms. Pants, I think. I’m about to go private with the link-o.

huy November 15, 2004 at 10:09 am

I got someone that wanted a “shout out”. Exact words. I politely declined the invitation.

Erin November 15, 2004 at 10:19 am

I don’t even really know how to link, or I’d have WAY more links on my blog. Such an ignoramus I am. I don’t think I’d go so far as to actually ask someone to link me. That’s like when you were in 4th grade, and you sent the folded up note that said, “Will you be my best friend? Check Y or N”

Solonor November 15, 2004 at 10:30 am

What does make you so superior by the way, buttmunch?

donna November 15, 2004 at 11:24 am

I agree with everyone, but Rob especially. I’ve linked to you for a long time because I like your blog. I don’t comment that much, so I would never expect you even visit my site. And I would NEVER ask someone to link to me. How fucking needy is that?

skits November 15, 2004 at 12:01 pm

I usually just delete the “please link me!” emails. feh.

On a more personal note: I think it’s your sparkling wit, winsome smile and perky boobs that make you superior, but that’s just me.

fran November 15, 2004 at 2:24 pm

i think the first comment, by geeky, said it best….

i read what i like, if people don’t link me when i comment or link them, that’s okay, because i was reading the blog to begin with because i liked it and not because i wanted to be linked by the author of the blog….the rest is bullshit….

besides, i am not going to link someone if i am not reading them, that’s just hypocrisy…

sphinxy November 15, 2004 at 5:57 pm

*poops on your links*

Dania November 15, 2004 at 6:36 pm

I only have names who I read…don’t link ‘em…cause i’m lazy like that.

skurdycat November 15, 2004 at 7:34 pm

Yeah some people just take blogging too seriously…hey, atleast you have people ask to be linked ;) you’re so cool hee hee

Busy Mom November 16, 2004 at 6:36 am

Hmm…I’ve never had anyone ask me to link them. *wanders off to think about that*

robyn November 16, 2004 at 11:37 am

One of the benefits of being in relative obscurity again – man I don’t miss that shit.

peskyapostrophe November 16, 2004 at 8:34 pm

Bob don't live here; now give me back my pants

Sporty was recently talking about something we both hate: the dreaded email to ask you for a link. Some people don't mind it, but it seems more people do. Don't ask me to link you if I don't know you. It's as simple as that. If you …