I’m an old and busted toys r us kid

by statia on November 20, 2004

We had planned on going out to see a comedy show tonight, but when we got there, the place was way more crowded than it had been before when we had been there. So crowded that they were sticking two couple’s at tables for two. After being there for about fifteen minutes, we decided to get our money back, and get the hell out of there. I don’t really like being jammed into a small space like a sardine. I was a bit bummed, so we headed over to Bed Bath and Beyond to get some pillows, and then headed over to Toys R Us to look around and pick up a new game. Can I just say that Toys R Us sucks anymore? Remember when Toys R Us was the equivalent to Disney World when you were a kid? Yeah, not so much anymore. They have shitty ass toys, and the store is arranged into the biggest clusterfuck ever. I guess most people are buying their shit online nowadays, because half of the store was filled with baby stuff and kids clothes. It used to be methodical isles arranged in some semblance of order. I was really disappointed in what they let that store become. It was just so dreary. We ended up getting Trivial Pursuit 90′s edition, you know having been old enough to know what the hell was going on in the 90′s. Both of us felt more than mildly retarded after playing that game. What the fuck, did I sleep through the 90′s? I’m boiling it down to the fact that I’m not really a big T.V. watcher. I watched my fill in the 80′s. I feel like there’s other things that I could be doing with my time. We couldn’t decide between The 90′s edition, Pop Culture, or the SNL version. Most likely, we’ll get the next two in the near future, but after tonight, I’m a little scared stupid.

I know, exciting life we lead, right?

sledge November 21, 2004 at 12:00 am

I wasn’t alseep during the 90′s – more than likely, I was drunk.

Or pooping.

Solonor November 21, 2004 at 4:31 am

That’s why Toys R Us is getting out of the toy business. They’re closing the toy stores and keeping the Babies R US ones. (Seriously.)

Sibeal November 21, 2004 at 6:02 am

I was at a Toys R Us a couple of weekends ago and I, too, was very disappointed. I thought maybe it was because I’m all growed up now and disillusioned (and cynical). I liked the toy section of Target much better.

sphinx November 21, 2004 at 6:18 am

Riiiight it’s because you don’t watch tv…. *adjusts your helmet*

*poops on the game board*

Kevin Donahue November 21, 2004 at 8:15 am

The Pop Culture edition (with the DVD) is pretty cool. Some of the questions are way, way out there, but it’s still pretty good. (Maybe my culture was not that popular.)

If I’m not mistaken, I think Toys’R'Us is one foot in the grave. They were trying to sell off the “toys” portion and become just the ‘R’Us portion. They’re going to move to just Babies and Kids clothes. Whatever.

Back in the day, getting to go to Toys’R'Us was like the mega-reward…a whole year’s worth of good grades, or – your brother cut your head open and you needed stitches. Good times.

kat November 21, 2004 at 8:54 am

Toys r us is always a mess too. You notice that? Like no one ever bothers to clean anything up at all and the employees are all a bunch of teens standing around talking on their cell phones.

Deltus November 21, 2004 at 10:30 am

They rested on their laurels. And their laurels were none too impressed, I’ll tell you that for nothing.

Get those mind-bender, solve-the-puzzle type coard games. There was this one I played once, can’t remember the name though. It was fun.

robyn November 21, 2004 at 12:05 pm

Toys R Us does sucketh muchly. I highly recommend requesting the catalog here to relive our glory days:

“>http://www.backtobasicstoys.com/catalogreq.aspx

If we ever win the lottery, that company is going to freakin’ love us!

We just bought “Scene It” for Dan and Stacy but we all haven’t had a chance to play it yet. I hear it’s a lot of fun though, and they finally have refill packs for it.

Pamela November 21, 2004 at 2:24 pm

Everybody sing it with meeeeeeeeee:

I don wanna grow up I just wanna stay liddle
so I can be a toys are us kid…

You’d LOVE Tokyo, where you need a lubricant to stand in some places…