DAMN THE MAN!!!

by statia on November 20, 2004

Yesterday I was reading about Joelle’s switch to Thunderbird. I’m slowly becoming anti Microsoft. Fuck Bill Gates and his “exclusive” anti spam technolgy. I don’t care if he is the most spammed person in the world. Get off your god damn ass and get a browser that actually works. Shit, get off your ass and make anything that works. It’s funny because I used to be so anti Mozilla. I didn’t want to be one of those annoying “indy browser” people. I fought it. But the fact that I haven’t had a pop up, and that I can utilize tabbed browsing, among other things, I throw a tantrum anytime I actually have to use IE now. What can I say, I fear change.

I figured until I switched over to Mac or something, I’d gravitate away from as much microsoft as I could. I figured I’d give Thunderbird a shot. I gotta say, it’s kinda wonky, and I’m not sure I’m liking it. Maybe it takes time to get used to, or maybe I just haven’t figured out how to make it my bitch. It just seems like it’s tweakish and schitzy. So for now, I’m slinking back all pouty like to Outlook. Like a whore to her pimp.

Deltus November 20, 2004 at 4:56 pm

You can find products that are as good, and in some case better, than Microsoft’s offerings. None from all one company.

It is a shame about the IE though. The only reason that it displays anything is because everything is made to work in it, because a huge majority of people use it by default (note: they didn’t choose it. A LOT of people don’t even know what a browser is, they just “open up the Internet”.)

Ms. Pants November 20, 2004 at 5:45 pm

I was anti indie browser too. Now, I will cut you before you take away my firefox.

I couldn’t get used to Thunderbird though. It was too weird for me.

mace November 20, 2004 at 5:56 pm

Outlook is weird to me. I have never liked Outlook. I have been using Eudora for over 10 years now and use Thunderbird for one of my email accounts.

Sibeal November 21, 2004 at 5:59 am

I use Outlook for one set of email accounts and Thunderbird for my blog emails. I think that if you are used to Outlook Express, Thunderbird is not such a big change… but going from Outlook to Thunderbird IS a big change. A very big change.

But seriously, I’ve seen pictures of your Inbox — you don’t even READ your email, so what are you worried about? *ducks*

Kevin November 21, 2004 at 6:22 am

>A LOT of people don’t even know what a browser is, they just “open up the Internet
And if you repoint the shortcut to point to Firefox instead of IE before they get used to it, then they’ll never notice the difference.

sporty November 21, 2004 at 8:16 am

That’d be great, but like Deltus said, a lot of people don’t know, and I’m not thinking that Microsoft is going to put firefox in all of its software, that comes preloaded on just about every computer sold.

And I don’t think there’s a “Firefox Fairy” just looming in the shadows to change browsers from IE to Firefox.

It’s called market share.

Princess November 23, 2004 at 7:30 am

“Tweakish and schitzy”… that’s my next excuse for a sick day – Gee, boss, I’m feeling awfully tweakish and schitzy today.

huy November 23, 2004 at 8:43 am

Not to get too far off the subject, but have you tried this?

It runs off the IE engine, but still has tabbed browsing and a pop up blocker. I’ve tried Firefox, I just can’t get into it. Oh, and I use Outlook and Thunderbird. It just depends on which accounts I want to check.