Bought it from a crackhouse

by statia on November 1, 2004

Hope everyone had a good Halloween. We had planned to go to a halloween party at first, and then upon realizing it was more of a dance/club type thing, we decided to bag it as we are so not the club type. At the last minute yesterday, we decided to buy candy to give out to trick or treaters. My development is a pretty decent size and I figured we’d have a good turn out, but we didn’t get a single trick or treater. It was really bizarre, but I’m figuring that because there’s a pretty nice sized neighborhood across the street from us, they either went there, or this area just doesn’t do trick or treating. I’ve never not had a trick or treater.

I’m glad we didn’t go overboard and buy tons of candy. We figured our best bet would be to pass it off to the people at work, because if we had it in front of us, I know we’d eat it. For some reason, the meester and I have no willpower when it comes to food.

Now, I don’t go and buy ghetto cholo candy. We bought M&M’s, Kit Kat, and Reese’s Peanut Butter cups, which if you’re around my age, you’ll know that as a kid, these were the premium trick or treat candy to get (right next to whole full sized candy bars). These were the ones that you wouldn’t trade or would try to sucker some dumb kid into trading for the bag of two nickles that you had gotten.

I brought the candy in and left the whole grocery bag in the kitchen. The only thing left: A nearly full bag of Reeses peanut butter cups. The rest of it went in less than an hour and a half.

When did Reeses become the ghetto candy?

M@ November 1, 2004 at 11:32 am

Love mini Reeses. I can’t keep from eating them. No willpower at all.

shaunacat November 1, 2004 at 11:36 am

Reeses is totally not ghetto candy! Ghetto candy was the candy that came in the orange or black wrappers and was some kind of almost peanut butter (but not quite) chewy substance. Does anyone else remember that stuff?

And screw the mini reeses…give me the full size cup, baby!

ed adkins November 1, 2004 at 11:44 am

the almost penutbutter stuff rocked. similar to saltwater taffy, but with a hint of crumblyness to it.

fleecey November 1, 2004 at 11:49 am

i totally remember the orange and black wrapper ghetto candy. they still make it. for, you know, the cheap bastards who don’t wanna buy the good stuff.

geeky November 1, 2004 at 11:54 am

dude! i didnt get any trick or treaters either! i was sooo disappointed. there are a lot of kids in my neighborhood, but i guess they went elsewhere for the candy.

funny thing is i bought the good stuff too! i got reese’s peanutbutter cups and milkyways. i figured if i was going to have leftovers, i was going to have GOOD leftovers.

grace November 1, 2004 at 2:08 pm

I liberated all of the Reese’s and the Hershey Dark bars from my son’s loot bag as soon as he went to bed last night. Yummy stuff.

kat November 1, 2004 at 4:59 pm

Reeses not taken???? Sacrilege! I rummaged through the boys candy for the good stuff and yes, we found those orange and black wrapped things. Nasty…lol

chrissie November 1, 2004 at 9:22 pm

Reeses are the bestest candy, the new inside out ones are evil stuff, I didn’t think I would like them.

My ass is gonna be mad at me ;)

robyn November 2, 2004 at 7:33 am

Almost as bad as the black and orange wrapped faux-butter was the not-quite-Smartees generics…

Cindy November 2, 2004 at 12:39 pm

Reeses = NOT ghetto candy.
Reeses = save-that-shit-for-LAST candy.

Deltus November 2, 2004 at 8:02 pm

The people where you work are obviously pod-people or being controlled by parasites (see “Invasion of the Body Snatchers” and “The Puppetmasters”). Get out of there while you still are you!