Live from NY

by statia on October 25, 2004

My neck and back are so jacked right now. I have the “vacation fog” here at work today. Even though I was out sick last week, it was still nice to have that time off to just do nothing. Granted, nothing was done anyway since I couldn’t sit up for more than ten minutes at a time without getting the spins. Friday, after a week of sleeping on our old bed all contorted because I couldn’t get comfortable, we decided to bite the bullet and get a new bed. My mattress was old and busted, and was causing both of us to lose sleep. Being unwell on a shitty mattress sucks beyond anything. I feel like I have whiplash in my neck, and a pinched nerve that’s radiating down my back and arm. I’ve gone through a box of therma care pads, and smell like Icy Hot. Nothing like smelling like a medicine cabinet. I really don’t think I should be here today.

On our way to work this morning, we were listening to the radio, and I heard that Ashlee Simpson fucked up on SNL on Saturday night.

“I feel so bad. My band started playing the wrong song. I didn’t know what to do so I thought I’d do a hoe-down.”

Everyone seems to be making a big stink about it. Saying that she lip synched. Sadly, I was out cold before 10pm on Saturday, but even if I was awake, apparently the west coast version of SNL (or would it be SN?) is different from the east coast version, since they have time to edit the show prior to airtime. Anyway, not that I’m defending her actions. Whether she decided to lip sync or not. I’m sure that at least half of the acts lip sync. Sure it’s “live” tv, but who cares? Why give them shit about it? Honestly, I couldn’t even imagine getting up in front of a live audience and attempting to sing (or not) and then having something go wrong. That has to be the biggest nightmare of any performance artist. I can feel that horrible numbness slow motion bad dream in the pit of my stomach just thinking about it. I think she took it pretty gracefully all things considered.

I’m kind of more pissed about the fact that they edit SNL for the west coast.

robyn October 25, 2004 at 8:45 am

I saw the “hoe-down” (and the entire flub) on the Today Show this morning. The little dance she did was much more embarrassing than the fact her first song started playing again, IMHO…

geeky October 25, 2004 at 9:08 am

yeah i dont think ashlee’s little stage mishap is as big a deal as everyone is making it out to be. but then again, what else is new?

Cindy October 25, 2004 at 10:31 am

What I have a problem with is the fact that she blamed her band for “playing the wrong song.” Dude, the band didn’t play the wrong song, the guy controlling the CD player started playing the wrong song. If you’re going to get “caught” lip synching, just FESS UP to it, instead of making dimwitted excuses.

Ed Adkins October 25, 2004 at 11:41 am

I agree with Cindy. We all know people lip sync on that show. Not a surprise. We buy their albums because they entertain, not because they are tallented.

What’s sad is the only professional musicians on that stage- the people with actual tallent minus the marketablility- got the blame. That’s a bummer.

Lisa October 25, 2004 at 11:53 am

I think the big deal is this; most people who lip synch always try to deny the fact that they do so. Blaming her band was pretty spineless too.

donna October 25, 2004 at 12:07 pm

Really though, were we expecting great things from Ashlee Simpson, anyway? Of course she lip synchs. So what? I’m sure it was embarassing for her, but they should let it go. Instead, this is almost another Janet Jackson Nipplegate! Will the FCC decide they need to investigate now??

Pamela October 25, 2004 at 3:39 pm

We (musicians)call it JAZZ… It’s all about improv, which is what SNL used to be about…
POP artists are not usually equipped to perform this way, so her form of “improv” was plan B:
Lip sync and blame it on the bossa nova.

Skittily be bop skoo be doo.

All the best with your injury.
A new mattress will improve your whole OUTLOOK!

skits October 25, 2004 at 5:35 pm

The big stink with her fans is that Ashlee did an interview with a mag (Lucky) and said she’d never ever lipsync–she prefers to let “her talent shine through”. Plus, there’s the whole schadenfreude aspect of it that makes it really, really funny. hee.