I spy really annoying pop ups

by statia on October 7, 2004

I really can’t wait until there’s some national law against spyware. It’s the worst feeling in the world to feel like you’re being watched while you surf online. Remeber Gator? I fucking hated gator with the burning firey passion. I wanted to rip their taints off with a cheese slicer. Apparently their office building was two buildings down from my office at one point. The Meester saw the repo man down there one day this spring. I thought maybe they went belly up. I use firefox as much as possible now. I fought it, but the pop up blocker (that actually works) is so nice. I had to use ie for something and got a gator pop up, so I googled them to see if they still even exsisted. Apparently they’re now called “Claria” (you can google it yourself, I’m not giving them traffic via a link). So either they got bought or changed their name because they had people rioting on their doorstep. I love the marketing slogan: “Onine Behavoral Marketing.” Is that what they’re calling it now? Ooooh so fancy. That must be French for “let’s hijack your computer and barrage you with billions of pop up ads at once.”

fran October 7, 2004 at 12:43 pm

pop ups make me cry.

then make me want to murder every single person responsible for them.

then i cry again because killing is bad i probably wouldn’t go through it. but i wished i had the money to pay someone to make spammers die.

Emily October 7, 2004 at 2:22 pm

well…they’re halfway there. The house passed the spyware bill this week….

Funkalicious October 7, 2004 at 2:48 pm

Isn’t Firefox great for keeping that crap off the computer? I, too, fought it for ages…I was a hardcore IE user from my first day on the Internet. But it’s nice to run AdAware and get clean scans.

Deltus October 7, 2004 at 8:17 pm

They’ll have to be very specific about how they define spyware. Also keep in mind, legislation to ban such is only applicable in the country where those laws are passed.

Still, pop-ups, spyware, SPAM, and virus writers all need to be kicked somewhere painful until they see the error of their ways.

nick October 8, 2004 at 3:41 pm

I love a woman who uses the word “taint.”

sporty October 12, 2004 at 8:55 am

Testing

Amy October 15, 2004 at 9:47 pm

Damn that Gator! I would eradicate it off my system then a few weeks down the road I’d have a major slowdown in load times and such. Called on Spybot and sure enough, Gator snuck back on. I must have taken it off at least 3-4 times. And I SWEAR I never approved it. If I have to install Bonzi Buddy or Gator to download something, then screw it, they just lost me as a customer.