How about a deep tissue massage and a vote for Kerry?

by statia on October 13, 2004

I’ve been going to this massage therapist. Nice lady. She does a good job, and I get a discounted price through my insurance company. It’s a good deal. We got to talking last week about politics. I knew by the Kerry sign on her front lawn that she was going to be somewhat political. Which is fine, but I didn’t really think that we’d end up talking politics while she’s massaging my hamstrings. Now, most people know, that I avoid political conversations like the plague. But, she was cool, and I think was probably happy that I wasn’t all “politically tainted”, as in, I really don’t follow too much going on media wise, mostly because I think it’s too much bullshit, and I don’t feel like weeding it out. I listened to her, but didn’t offer my opinion, but I think all in all she was happy that I was interested in voting this election. I think she was a little too giddy.

I got a voicemail from her on Saturday, in which she had stated that it wasn’t too late to register for absentee ballots (she’s totally anti electronic ballots, which, I’m not even going to get into), and proceeded to give me a bunch of resources.

My massage therapist. Giving me voting reminders.

tj October 13, 2004 at 9:20 am

i suppose that’s better than your proctologist … er, so i’ve heard.

mikey October 13, 2004 at 9:29 am

welcome to California! they have dog acupunturists here, too.

geeky October 13, 2004 at 9:31 am

i’m kinda nervous about my first time voting. i mean, i get how it works, but i dont know exactly what to do or anything. i wish i could do an absentee ballot :(

fran October 13, 2004 at 10:59 am

that’s like, getting sex advice from your mom or dad, isn’t it?

just weird….lol

Deltus October 13, 2004 at 11:53 am

I’d have told her that I don’t discuss it, not talk about it OR listen to it. I was raised that you don’t discuss 3 things in polite company: sex, religion, and politics.

martha October 14, 2004 at 5:16 am

I was raised the same way deltus and often manage to do just the opposite – I want to work in sex/sexuality rights which is definitely related to religion in most parts of the world which is related to politics…. guess I’m not polite company.

But really, is a massage therapist considered polite company? (not that they aren’t polite but…)

itsy October 14, 2004 at 6:55 am

Do NOT talk to me while I am getting a massage. Nuh uh.

Deltus October 14, 2004 at 10:02 am

Unless you’ve known them for many years, or they are people you would specifically list amongst your good friends, then yes they’re polite company.

Then again, I don’t really get the whole conversation thing with people like hair-stylists/barbers, masseuses, chiropractors, etc. When I get my hair cut (large barber shop) the conversation is extremely light (weather, sports, occasionally recent news items of note) if there at all, and that’s the way I like it. I don’t necessarily want to be friends with this person just because they cut my hair or massage or crack my back or whatever. It was different with my old barber before I moved, but that was because he’d been cutting my hair since I was a tot. But in that case, he wasn’t polite company.