867-5309 – 911

by statia on October 7, 2004

pageme Remember circa 1996 when pagers were all the rage? I don’t know what made me think of them, but it made me laugh. None of your friends had a cell phone. It was all “page me.” You’d page your friend on a Friday night, see what was up. Call their pager, punch in your number, or if you were really cool, you could type “hello” in numbers. You’d hit 911 if it was important, and then play the hurry up and wait game. Half the time your page either wouldn’t go through, or the person wouldn’t have their pager on their person, and you’d never get a call back anyway. Ahhh those were the days.

julie October 7, 2004 at 6:55 am

01134

julie October 7, 2004 at 6:58 am

OMG! I just remembered that my ‘code’ was 007 because in one of the Amy Fisher movies that was Joey’s code to Amy.

What the hell was I thinking?

Sarah October 7, 2004 at 7:00 am

I hope that Jenny get’s your urget page…. love the title of the post!
I was living in Japan in 1996 – - the cell phone market was taking off there at the time. Of course, I didn’t have one ’cause I wasn’t cool enough.

geeky October 7, 2004 at 7:01 am

i was sooooo cool when i had a pager. and it saved my ass once, literally. i kept it clipped in my back pocket and i was on the way out my front door on a date. the front steps were icey, and just as my date was telling me this, i slipped on the ice and landed on my ass. i was ok, but my pager had a huge gash in it. imagine if that had been my ass!

Deltus October 7, 2004 at 7:34 am

Multi-function PDA’s will soon replace the cell phones of right now for everyone.

shaunacat October 7, 2004 at 7:54 am

Man, I totally remember that. My best friends and I all had them when we were in high school…but when you think of it now, they were a total waste. How many times did the pages just ‘not go through’?? Totally unreliable.

LT October 7, 2004 at 8:31 am

I had a pager. I wasn’t “allowed” to buy one but my boyfriend and I snuck off and got ‘em together. Then I accidentally threw it out. I don’t know how I did that.

I had a pager, essentially, since 10th grade, and it became such a useful thing in my parents eyes that immediately upon moving into college my freshman year, my dad insisted that I get a pager there. So I did. I actually loved having my pagers… I miss ‘em. Maybe I’ll get one now ; )

huy October 7, 2004 at 8:42 am

I had one way back when, but it was a “secret” one. My mom thought that if I had one, I was a drug dealer.

mike October 7, 2004 at 11:56 am

And yet … the big thing a decade later is the ability to type to one another via tiny, hand-cramping text messagers.

Alison October 8, 2004 at 6:27 am

I TOTALLY had a pager. But I called it a “beeper”. And every month, I went to Beeper Land (or was it Beeper World?) to pay my $13 in cash because I didn’t have a checking account at the time. When I first got it, my dad thought I was a drug dealer. Ha!

I don’t know why I ever got it though – all my friends lived within a few houses of me, and the ones that didn’t could just call. I guess I’ll never really know the point :)

Camille October 8, 2004 at 6:55 pm

Can you believe that I never had one? Nope! Nevah!