The stuff that nightmares are made of

by statia on September 22, 2004

It’s no secret that I’m a sick morbid fuck. I’ve been like this since I was 12ish. I don’t do it on purpose, for the most part, unless you count my sick obsession show’s like SVU and Unsolved Mysteries. But generally, the most random shit will pop into my head. I get such bad nightmares, that sometimes, I’m afraid to close my eyes at night.

Reason #93490823 that the Meester and I are a match made in heaven: Earlier this year, when we had started talking again, and were starting to spend near 24-7 on the phone, I randomly asked him if when driving down a long stretch of highway, if he ever thought of the fact that there could be a dead body laying in the bushes or something. I thought for sure he’d be like, “Uh, no, you sick fucking freak.” *click*. But when he answered yes, I was surprised. I was even more surprised when he had said that he actually knew someone who found a dead body on the side of the road (this person was part of a search and rescue squad for said dead body, but still, it’s not a question, or answer, you hear every day).

Seriously, does anyone else think of shit like this, or is it just me?

Allrighty, I think it’s time for a little SVU.

Amy September 22, 2004 at 8:14 pm

Doesn’t everyone think about finding dead bodies lying along the side of the road?

Deltus September 22, 2004 at 9:25 pm

Such thoughts aren’t the sign of sickness, but rather intelligence combined with an active imagination. The brain makes up scenarios when it has exhausted what is current from it’s senses. Your mind gets bored, you start to wonder about what could be in those bushes over there. Trust me, the sickness you come up with increases 3-fold once you have kids. You start imagining all manner of horrible scenarios. It helps to keep your kids safe. After all, “…paranoia is just another level of awareness.” – Stephen King, “Golden Years”

*looks around furtively* :)

niki September 22, 2004 at 10:04 pm

I also occassionally think about that. Hell, I remember thinking about that way back in high school, riding the school bus home. Particularly since our bus passed through some pretty shady parts of town. Heh.

Little One September 22, 2004 at 10:20 pm

sorta. When I’m driving down the highway and I see those weird random trash bags filled with stuff inside I wonder who would actually notice if there was a body in there? Thousands of people might drive right by one and never know it. Kinda makes you think huh??

stumblebee September 22, 2004 at 10:50 pm

I thought I was the only weirdo who did that! I am always thinking about stuff like that. Anytime I see an abandoned car or a black trash bag on the side of the road.
Also, I once saw this episode of Unsolved Mysteries where a man saw a car seat by the side of the road, stopped to check it out, and found a baby (still alive) in it! Ever since I saw that episode, I’ve always “kept an eye out” for abandoned babies when I’m driving. Yeah, I’m a freak.

ps-the text on these comments is really hard to read! Hurts my eyes! I think its the background b/c the text on your actual blog is fine. :-)

Hed September 23, 2004 at 12:20 am

Yeah, I do. I don’t really know why more people don’t talk about it, because I’m sure it’s pretty common. Why else would crime shows be so popular?

-H

Ari September 23, 2004 at 6:54 am

I hear you, but my problem is I not only think them I say them outloud, so just imagine some of hte looks I get on a somewhat regular basis.

Tanya September 23, 2004 at 7:19 am

I saw a car park in front of the house across the street when in lived in MN, and a rather large woman got out of it and walked away. Three days later the car was still there, and I was thinking the same thing. The lady who lived there came over and asked me if I knew anything about it. I told her what little I knew, and she sort of sighed, and she said “I hate to have to call the police about this. I had to call them about a dead guy in a snowbank last winter, and they’re going to think I’m some kind of axe murderer.” *shudder*

Alison September 23, 2004 at 7:49 am

Never thought about bodies on the side of the road, but I do think about things like getting into a horrible car accident while I’m driving. Like, if I’m next to an 18-wheeler, I can visualize it losing control, jackknifing and my car getting smooshed. And there would be absolutely nothing that I could do because I’m going 60 MPH. Or, if I’m in the left lane on a highway with only a jersey barrier to divide the sides, I’m convinced that a car will flip over the barrier from the other side and smash into me (I actually saw an accident like this, about 2 minutes after it happened before any authorities got to the scene – creepy as hell, the car was TOTALED and there was no one making any sounds, I’m sure they died). Don’t worry, we’re all sick morbid fucks :)

fleecey September 23, 2004 at 11:56 am

it’s so not just you! that’s what cracks me up about the stuff you post on your blog- it’s always like ‘whoa! that’s what i was thinking the other day!’

jay September 23, 2004 at 5:29 pm

thinking about finding the dead bodies isn’t so bad, as long as you dont think about putting them there in the first place!

Dooey September 23, 2004 at 10:10 pm

All the time actually! It’s what my mind does to pass the time when driving to school in the morning. I’ve managed to out do myself though. When driving home with my family after escaping mother nature’s play on Ivan the Terrible, we got STUCK on the interstate. 3 MILES…. in 4 HOURS. Yeah.. stuck. Looking out the window into the woods, I asked myself, “Self, how freaky would it be to look out the window and see a Sasquatch standing at the edge of the woods watching us?” Very freaky. Then I realized how incredibly ridiculous I was being. I mean, COME ON! The sasquatches totally would have been blown away by the hurricane. Pssh! Common sense.

martha September 24, 2004 at 7:22 am

i’m with alison – I more often imagine the horrible things that could happen to me. Or, if the missus is really late coming home (really being, to my screwed up sense of time, about 10 minutes late) I start imagining all the horrible things that could have happened to her..

Yup, I’m going to be that wacko paranoid mother who freaks if her kids are a minute late home from school.

erika September 25, 2004 at 1:52 pm

I used to have to drive this very isolated stretch of highway through the Adirondacks to get to and from college – a stretch of road everyone just accepted as *the* dumping grounds for people who pissed off NYC mafiosos.

So yeah, I’ve *definitely* wondered if there were dead bodies hidden just behind the trees.