Doctor Doctor, gimme the news

by statia on September 2, 2004

I went to the dr Tuesday, to go and get yoinked, and I ended up avoiding a yoinking anyway. Instead, we just discussed my issue and my previous medical history. She had asked me if I had gotten a copy of my medical records from my last doctor before I left. I hadn’t, because of moving so fast. Of course having my records would make their job a lot easier, so I made an appointment for a later date and made a note to call and have my old doctor send over my medical records.

I called them this morning on my way to work (my time to get caught up on east coast calls, heh.). I spoke with one of the nurses that said there would be a $25.00 fee for them sending my records.

My records!!

Does anyone see anything morally and ethically wrong with this? The AMA doesn’t. Personally, I do. I feel like hiring a lawyer to pass a law against this. I can see if it’s adoption records, or needing a new copy of your birth certificate, but records of your medical history? I’m sorry, but that’s rightfully my information, and really should be a part of the whole HIPAA act. Didn’t I pay this guy enough in the near 2 years that I went there? I probably bought him a new BMW and paid a good chunk of his kids’ private school tuition. He wants another $25 fucking dollars out of me? For my medical history. This just isn’t sitting well with me.

I avoided a yoinking on Tuesday to get a yoinking today. Fucking doctors.

hip momma September 2, 2004 at 8:08 am

that’s just bullshit .. i’d raise all kinds of hell til they get tired of hearing it and waive the fee.

Deltus September 2, 2004 at 8:26 am

Okay, first, yoink is my favorite word of the day because of you. *yoinks*

Next, the records are OF you, but they don’t BELONG to you. They are your old doctor’s records. Still, $25 is a steep charge for what amounts to a simple (and let’s face it, fairly infrequent for them) administrative matter. $5 would be more reasonable. I agree: bitch until they waive or lower the fee just to be rid of you.

buddha September 2, 2004 at 8:33 am

***YOINK***

Little One September 2, 2004 at 12:02 pm

Is the fee for sending them to your new doctor or just sending them in general? Because if it’s for sending them to a new doctor just tell them to send it to your house. If it’s in general tell them to go screw. It’s your records they have no right to charge you for your own stuff! Or you could just come down and get them. That sounds like a better idea. I think you should come back home for a “visit”

PunkAssBitch September 2, 2004 at 12:08 pm

I agree with you completely…that shit pisses me off. I can see $5 or $10 maybe, but even then, I still think it’s bullshit…they collect plenty already.

*yoinked*

that’s great, I’ll have to remember that one!

daisy September 2, 2004 at 1:22 pm

You might check…in Oklahoma they can’t charge more than .25 per page for copying records…yet some try to and you just have to remind them of that fact.

me September 2, 2004 at 6:19 pm

mine was $30 and they lost them. and now the doc retired and soon died AND the medical building was sold so goodbye 3 fucking files worth of records from birth to 21.

yea i guess being at the doc every week, getting gammaglobulin shots, being put on EVERY form of meds to cure strep and tonsillities isn’t important.

assfucks

Jen September 2, 2004 at 7:46 pm

Can you sign a paper releasing your medical records to the new doctor so they can just send for them? I hardly think they will charge “one of their own” $25 to send the damn records. KWIM?

Shawn September 3, 2004 at 10:50 am

Actually, the medical records are yours, contrary to what the person above says. They can charge you a handling/copying fee, unfortunately. $25 is total bunk! My doc charges 25 cents a page for copying and faxing, and that’s it.

Princess September 7, 2004 at 11:28 am

I’m with Jen. I’ve had buttloads of medical records forwarded around, and the way it’s gone for me is I give my new doc my old doc’s contact info and request that they get the records so we can maintain some continuity in my files. I’ve never requested them myself because, well, why should I? Your new doc should handle all this and, no, I don’t believe they would get charged by your old doc.