I can not flip them with a pan

by statia on August 10, 2004

I cannot flip eggs. Specifically, I can’t make omlettes, because I can’t flip the eggs. It’s funny I can’t do simple things like make coffee or omlettes, but I can cook. When I was a kid, I never wanted to learn how to cook. My mother would always try to get me in the kitchen to help her, and I wanted no part of domesticity. I didn’t want to be stuck in the kitchen helping her, when I could be outside. I think that I learned to cook by either sheer luck or osmosis. It could be osmosis, because I think I’m a pretty decent cook, save for the fact that I can’t chop things. I also do not know how to make coffee. I know you’re thinking, what’s so hard about putting some coffee in the coffee maker and filling it with water? You wonder, but my mother, while being an excellent cook, had to have my father show her how to make coffee, because when they were first married, she gave my father something that was coffee, but resembled lighter fluid. I inherited that. Which really pisses people off at work, when you’re the person that empties the pot, but doesn’t refill it. One of the things that I inherited in moving in with the meester is a coffee maker, which he dutifully has taken on filling every night before bed. I watched, and I think I picked up how to do it, so I went ahead tonight and made the coffee for tomorrow morning. We’ll see how that goes.

We secretly switched their regular coffee with lighter fluid. Let’s watch what happens. [/maxwell house voice]

LT August 10, 2004 at 7:44 pm

yeah. I don’t know how to make coffee either, HOWEVER, I don’t drink coffee, so no one at work expects me to make it or clean the pots since I have nothing to do with the actual drinking. One time, though, I was the only one left in the office and my boss NEEDED coffee and she just couldn’t POSSIBLY make it herself, so I did my best. After she took a few sips, she said, “you know, it’s 4:45, maybe I should just have a cold drink instead.” At least she was tactful.

BillH August 10, 2004 at 8:28 pm

The secret to flipping the eggs is to get so much butter/lard/grease in the pan that NOTHING sticks to it; then it is easy to flip the eggs as long as you don’t splatter yourself!

Helen August 11, 2004 at 5:40 am

I make a killer cup of coffee. Egg flipping? Lost.

donna August 11, 2004 at 5:57 am

I can’t make coffee either! It’s a joke among a couple friend of ours. “Do you want coffee with your dessert? Then, John, you better come make it!” I rarely drink it at home though because my husband doesn’t like it, so it would be a waste. No matter how many times I’m shown, I just don’t retain it.

Although they have these nifty coffee pod things now that require no coffee making skill, and produce one single perfect cup of coffee. I might need to invest.

The Meeeeester August 11, 2004 at 6:18 am

The verdict: it is high octane, but my baby can make a damn fine cup of coffee. :D

scorpy August 11, 2004 at 9:46 am

Last night, Ray made these beautiful-looking-while-still-in-the-pan over-easy eggs.. oh, my mouth was watering!

Then, when he tried to put them on the plate? Each of them broke on the way. But hey, he cleaned up the stove.

I do okay with eggs, about 50% of the time. The other 50, I think, even chefs break a few.

geeky August 11, 2004 at 10:41 am

i was the same way when i was younger. my mom was always trying to force me to learn how to cook, and i was never interested. then i moved out on my own, and was suddenly motivated to learn how to cook or eat crap food for the rest of my life!

hrm.. i know we used to have a special omlette pan when i was little. it had two sides and you could close it so you didn’t have to flip. i wonder if they still make those?

Pamela August 11, 2004 at 2:34 pm

Olive oil cooking spray on the pan.

Try making one cup at a time with a Melita drip filter thing. Use a tea kettle and pour water directly on – then you know how strong to make it- to taste…Then, incorporate that info to the paper filter in the coffee machine. Fill the coffee tank with water from your cup- as many as you want- and match it per cup with your measured amount of coffee. Use one a doze stawbuck’s coffee scoops- like a square spoon, usually 1 nice sized scoop per cup, eh voila!

Cawfee making, she is an art, non?

It’s all in the wrist… LOL

fran August 11, 2004 at 3:32 pm

I guess Wendy and I are never coming over to your guys’s place for coffee EVER…

martha August 11, 2004 at 7:34 pm

I recently gave up on omlettes and switched to fritattas – like an omlette but cooked on low heat with a lid on – they puff up and brown beautifully.

day August 15, 2004 at 10:27 am

Put just a lil butter in with the cooking spray and make sure it gets the sides nicely. Then take a spatula and work it! It’ll flip pretty easy. I don’t know where I learned this, but the princess loves her omlettes that I make for her. (90% of them come out perfect – 10% of em have a hole that the cheese runs out of… lol ) Good to see you’re so happy out there, sorry I haven’t been reading your blog, but I didn’t know what the name got changed to!