When you’re sliding into home and your shorts are full of foam

by statia on July 24, 2004

I woke up this morning and went to brush my teeth. When I got to the brushing my tongue part, I noticed my tongue was black. Like, jet black. Naturally I started to freak out, and thought that I was going to die, or worse, that I had some weird tongue disease, and it was going to fall off. I started to brush my tongue really hard, and noticed that it was coming off, at least a little bit. After the Meester and G-man got back from their morning walk, I told the Meester that my tongue was black this morning. Casually he says to me: “Oh from the Pepto?”

How come no one ever fucking told me that taking Pepto right before you go to sleep, turns your tongue black??? Shouldn’t that be in blaring red lights on the back of the bottle? And how cool is it, that pepto has the url diarrhea.com?

geeky July 24, 2004 at 12:26 pm

i call bullshit. i take pepto all the time and i’ve never had that happen. i did have my tongue turn black after spending a night in a really really smoky bar though.

Adelin July 24, 2004 at 12:31 pm

It’s not the pepto, it’s probably the SARS. Dude, you know we need photographic proof for next time.

sphinx July 24, 2004 at 4:56 pm

I never knew it did THAT!!!! EW!

niki July 24, 2004 at 7:19 pm

I didn’t know about the black tongue thing, but I do know it turns other things black, when the maxium dosage is used.

Yummy!

martha July 24, 2004 at 10:52 pm

darn, niki beat me too it. Yeah pepto and tums can turn things black… like scary black black for things that aren’t supposed to be black.

Deltus July 24, 2004 at 11:47 pm

Never knew that about Pepto Bismol, but HOLY SHIT is that ever a cool side-effect! *runs to get some PB to take*

rachel July 25, 2004 at 4:40 am

Yeah, I’ve never heard of that before but it does sound cool. I’ll go buy some tomorrow… black tongue… and to think .. I used to find candy to do stuff like that.

Princess July 26, 2004 at 11:27 am

And it’s fewer calories than a purple slurpee…

Lisa July 29, 2004 at 12:05 pm

Ok so i eat pepto like it’s going out of style, tummy aches, nausea and well for just about every abdomen problem i ever have. So last night took a couple chewables before bed, (bad case of you-know-what going on) and low and behold i woke up with a black tongue. Freaky.
So geeky take a couple chewables and go to bed it so turns your tongue black.

Robin P August 2, 2004 at 5:51 am

That’s one of those weird things you hear about in passing. I think I learned about that on a movie. Now my husband and I are fighting over if this part was actually IN the damn movie. Anyway, it’s kind of sad that our first reaction is always that what we have is terminal.
Years ago my tongue happened to rub against the inside of my cheek and I felt a bump. I looked to see what it was. I asked a co-worker to look at it (we work in a medical practice but neither one of us are doctors) and she said, “Oh my god that looks like cancer.” Ya, so I panicked and I ended up calling my dentist (cuz the cancer was in my mouth) and he had me come right over. He took a look and asked, “Have you eaten any hot pizza lately.” I said, “Uhm…ya….last night.” He said, “Cuz you burned your mouth!” Ok, so now I know.
And now YOU know about Pepto….that’s how we learn!
Cute blog by the way. I found it through Chaos Girl.