The man is keeping you down

by statia on July 9, 2004

I need a bit of help here. I moved out of my place without giving much notice, because I was set to start my job relatively quickly. Apparently (and I don’t know, this for sure, because of the fact that my lease, is sitting in a file box on the truck) I was supposed to give 60 days notice. PA state law is 30 days, which I’m not even sure I gave. Apparently, they have to let you out of your lease if your job takes you more than 60 miles away. My landlord is trying to screw me out of my deposit by saying that I didn’t give enough notice, and that I also moved out mid month, and that I should owe him money for that. He corrected himself there, because he knew that in acutality, it should be prorated if I moved out mid month. I’ve looked around on some renters sites but I can’t find anything concrete. Any blood sucking lawyers out there who can help a sista out?


Sekimori July 9, 2004 at 2:14 pm

Email Steve ( He’s here in FL but he might have some advice for you at least.

Deltus July 9, 2004 at 3:56 pm

How much is the deposit? You might want to consider that you won’t get it back unless you go back to PA and sue the guy. Which may cost you lawyers fees. It ain’t fair, it ain’t right, but that’s life. Is it worth it to you?

Bonnie July 9, 2004 at 4:33 pm

::: sigh :::

The price of love. Been there. Done that. It only hurts until the next time he gets that twinkle in his eye.

Thea July 9, 2004 at 8:35 pm

I dunno why they whine about it, gives them more time to clean the place and all. I dunno what it’s like there, but most cities it’s a renters market, he’ll be able to find some one else soon.

rachel July 10, 2004 at 2:54 pm

I’ve had that happen to me before. The landlord bitched because I hadn’t cleaned the carpets or painted which in Virginia by law he has to do ANYWAY before the next tenent moves in… so why would *I* do it?
I got my deposit…
I’m not a bloodsucking lawyer though so I’m sorry I cant help.

Camille July 11, 2004 at 11:32 pm

maybe this guy can help, or point you to a PA lawyer that can…

Comments on this entry are closed.

Previous post:

Next post: