Seeing Red

by statia on July 23, 2004

I come home today and there’s no cable. Zero, zip, zilch…. NADA!! I called the cable company. I give them all of my info. They put me on hold. They come back.

Cable Asshole: Ma’am, apparently someone put in a work order to have the cable fixed, so we turned the cable off.

…..Jiggawhat?

Me: Well, no one in this house called in a work order, the cable worked fine this morning, so if you could please turn it back on.

CA: Are you sure that Meester (yeah, they actually called him Meester too, go figure) didn’t call it in. Have you talked to him?

Me: Yeah, I talked to him ten minutes ago, I don’t think he’d fail to mention something as important as cutting our internet. So, you can just turn that back on.

CA: Well, the physical line has been cut, so we can’t do that. Maybe the apartment manager is taking over the cable?

….Jiggawhat?

Me: Um, no, the building management wouldn’t ever not notify us of this. I’d like you to come out here and fix it.

CA: Well, maam, we can’t get anyone out there tonight, but we can set something up for tomorrow.

Me: How the heck can someone just call in on our account, and have service turned off?

CA: Anyone who has full account information can authorize a work order. We do have a way to keep your account restricted with a password, or pin#, would you like to do that?

Me: Why yes, yes I would. I can’t believe that any Joe Schmoe could just call in and mess with our account.

We go ahead and schedule a call for tomorrow morning between 8-10, after much arguing about why they really can’t make it between 8-10, but rather 9-12. I make them come between 8-10. They argue with me that it’s not their fuck up. I argue with them that it is, because I don’t really like that they don’t ask for the last four digits of a social, or some other sort of information to assure that it’s actually the account holder.

I call the Meester, he’s not happy. Not happy at all. Of course, he didn’t call in the work order. He calls the company back. Not only do they not ask for the pin#, but they totally have the service call set up for Monday between 8-10. I kid you not, I called in not 10 minutes before that. I’m pretty sure by now, they know they better stick their heads between their legs and kiss their ass goodbye. I hope he made them weep a little.

another Ed July 23, 2004 at 2:31 am

UuuuurrrrrgggGGGGGHHHHHH! Arg! Hnggggh- AAAAAAAAAAHHHhhhhhAaaahh. Crack.

*hurls chair across room*

Dammit. It’s that kind of crap that pisses me off. Customer Service so powerfully horrible it has a little hum and a radio-active type glow. Cable companies and Cel Companies seem to have such a knack for it. I do so hope he dealt a beating.

Lisa July 23, 2004 at 5:26 am

Yikes. Morons. There’s some company I call that they ask me four pieces of info every time. Four. That’s a bit extreme.

Hope you get back online soon!

martha July 23, 2004 at 7:43 am

wow… I’d rather have four than none though… that’s really screwed up that they’d just turn it off like that. I wonder if it was a screw up and they were suppsoed to cut someone else’s who’s currently wondering what the hell is going on and why they aren’t getting service…

tj July 23, 2004 at 9:09 am

i’ll be back to comment on this sometime between 11 and 4 …

mac July 23, 2004 at 9:51 am

Sounds like your new cable company is just about as good as Comcast. It must make you feel right at home, and possibly nostalgic for the good old day. *grin*

Sir Henry July 23, 2004 at 10:51 am

Yeah, Mac, they are just about as good as Comcast, but they suck a wee bit more….wait…we are with comcast. Fucking hell, can we not get another cable broadband company?

Princess July 23, 2004 at 11:15 am

*lovingly caresses my Verizon DSL*

donna July 23, 2004 at 12:03 pm

I hate the cable company! Once they told me they had come by to pick up the box I was returning and that I wasn’t home so they left. Hello? I’m currently sitting at home and no one has been here. And once, I forced them to replace the digital cable box, and they did, and it solved the problem, but the cable guy was trying to tell me the problem was with my TV. Yeah, so why is the problem fixed now with the new box, asshat?

Sorry, I get upset about the cable company.

fleecey July 23, 2004 at 12:14 pm

luckily my cable company is not too bad, but when i was in vancouver i had some problems. they’d always charge me for a cable package that i never ordered. i mean, i think i’d know if i ordered the $150/month package rather than the $45/month. seriously.

P July 23, 2004 at 3:08 pm

i completely believe it. last month, my neighbors in the house next door moved. they called the garbage company to shut off their service but the company entered my address instead of my neighbors. and when i called to complain that my garbage was rotting on the curb i was told that i had requested it to be shut off and that i’d have to pay to start it up again! asshats…

girlwonder July 23, 2004 at 3:17 pm

“….Jiggawhat?” i hope you really said that on the phone – it would be badass! cable companies always suck..comcast especially – damn it feel good to renounce them.

stacey July 23, 2004 at 8:14 pm

i know exactly where your coming from…i basically just had the same thing happen to me only difference is that i have dsl and it was the phone company not the cable…but they are all the fucking same!!!! nice site, by the way!