One day back in Philly…..

by statia on July 8, 2004

It starts already. My protectiveness for the beloved Philly Cheesesteak. I was watching Travel Channel, where they had a show on how to make the perfect philly cheesesteak. Right off the bat, the guy was an idiot. No mention of Amoroso’s rolls, no mention of the “whiz”, and he screwed up the beef by putting olive oil and spices in it. Olive oil and spices? In the beef? Oh helllllllllllls no!!!

I don’t want people in other parts of the country thinking they can just go all willy nilly and make the perfect cheesesteak right in their own home, when they’re really just making a “butterberry asshole” flavored cheesesteak. Friends don’t let friends eat shitty imposter cheesesteaks.

Ms. Pants July 8, 2004 at 1:36 pm

What about Frumunda Cheesecake?

mac July 8, 2004 at 1:37 pm

There is only one right way to make a cheesesteak. You have start with beef that fell off a truck in South Philly and marinated in the street for a few days. And then you have to cook it in grease that hasn’t been cleaned since before WWI.

It makes aallllllllllllllllllll the difference.

buddha July 8, 2004 at 1:47 pm

Okay..let’s not bring up the debate again about the “whiz” or regular cheese on a cheesteak.

Cause we all know what rules!!!

lt July 8, 2004 at 1:49 pm

the amoroso rolls are key, but it really is all about the whiz

theresa July 8, 2004 at 2:07 pm

i’ve been saying that for that last 10 years i’ve lived in Virginia! Everytime I see someone eating a cheesesteak here, i’m all “that’s not a cheesesteak!!!” if you order them here you get one of two things – a t-bone with melted kraft cheese on it, or a steak hoagie (sub) with lettuce tomato and mayo. wtf! no. wrong wrong wong.

Sean July 8, 2004 at 2:26 pm

preach, preach

Tom July 8, 2004 at 3:31 pm

The only thing worse than a cheesesteak in California is a cheesesteak in Baton Rouge.

Wait, there is nothing worse than most things which came from California, with all that hippie health food, no smoking culture.

Bastard Left Coast.

sarah July 8, 2004 at 10:23 pm

oh hell yeah girl! you tell ‘em how to do it.

on a side note, i was behind a tourist faimnly at the bagel factory today and they ordered 6 cheesesteaks. dude. if you want a really philly cheesesteak you do NOT go to the bagel factory. am i right?

annette July 8, 2004 at 11:52 pm

LOL.

This is exactly the reason I am a vegetarian!

@

Pamela July 9, 2004 at 10:37 pm

OK California girl- wait till you’ve seena a pizzia with pineapple on it- that’s right PINEAPPLE.
LOL ;^)
Congrads on your move!

Tracy July 12, 2004 at 11:24 am

I don’t know how much has changed but I lived in Cali about (e-gad!) 18 years ago and the neighbors had no idea what a stromboli was! My sis and I started making them and they all went crazy – imagine if we had the right ingredients (good pepperoni makes all the difference!). They don’t know good stuff…subs..what the heck!

McCord August 22, 2004 at 7:05 pm

Cheese Whiz Gate

Born in, raised in, and unable to escape the south (which I love, so I can say that), the whole Philadelphia Cheese Whiz scandal that Matt pointed out last week (and continues to hammer) only sort of made sense to me. Into the breach steps Kerim, with …