Always tastes better the second time around

by statia on July 29, 2004

I’m one of those people that will generally tell you where it’s at. If I have a problem, I don’t fester. I think this comes from the “sweep it under the rug” environment that I grew up in. That sort of mentality is bullshit in my eyes and you’ll generally always know where you stand with me. There is one gray area though that I find that I have a hard time telling people what the deal is.

Food and or lipstick on your teeth. I don’t know what it is. Maybe it’s the feeling of embarrassment for them, but I can never bring myself to tell someone that they have a big piece of spinach lodged in their front teeth. I have issues, I know.

So, what do you do? Do you say something, or do you just stare at it like a circus sideshow and let it drive you crazy? Because you know you can’t ignore that it’s there.

Empress July 29, 2004 at 2:39 pm

It depends on who it is. If it’s someone I’m REALLY close to, I’ll say something. Otherwise, it’s circus sideshow time, baby!

martha July 29, 2004 at 3:53 pm

i say something about 75% of the time because I’ve had that happen to me too often before – gone hours and hours and discovered I had something big and dark right between two front teeth – it’s AWFUL!

Kat July 29, 2004 at 4:15 pm

I always tell. True friends always tell because if you let me walk around with spinach in my teeth, I’m gonna let you walk around with t.p. hanging out the back of your pants. ;)

Mia July 29, 2004 at 4:31 pm

I find that a subtle…”HOLY CRAP WHAT IS THAT!!” works quite efficiently…

jay July 29, 2004 at 4:50 pm

“Hey are you saving that for later?”

I’m generally a “call ‘em as I see ‘em” type of person with regards to everything.

“hey your nip is showing.” :)

Buzz July 29, 2004 at 7:10 pm

Oh sweetie, you’ve gotta tell ‘em because:

A) They need to know before anyone else sees

and much more importantly

B) it makes you seem like a forthright and upstanding person for being so bold to say anything at all

And really, it’s all about YOU, isn’t it?**

**Actually, we all (down deep) know that it’s really it’s about me, now don’t we?

amber July 30, 2004 at 5:33 am

I usually say something, unless it’s a stranger on the street… then I do the circus side show.

Of course, I’ve been known to push an absolute stranger’s tag back into their shirts before. One of those things.

Deltus July 30, 2004 at 8:27 am

You gotta tell them, close friend or no. The embarrassment they’ll feel after hours of it continuing because nobody said anything is MUCH worse than the slight embarrassment of being told quickly as soon as it’s noticed. Unless, of course, you hate the person, in which case you kinda want to maximize their embarrassment.

Princess July 30, 2004 at 11:06 am

I totally agree with Deltus on this one… unless, of course, the object in question is the opposite sex’s fly – then all bets are off.

Faith July 30, 2004 at 1:17 pm

I have to tell…because I’d want someone to help me out if I was the one with the stuff in the teeth. Actually, what I usually do, after eating a particularly pepper-specked or broccoli-filled meal, I will ask the person I’m with, “Do I have anything in my teeth?” Flash my smile, and they say yay or nay. What I HATE is when I’ve asked that question, they tell me I’m fine, and an hour later, I make my way to a mirror, and I can see that there is clearly something in the front set of teeth that would have been obvious to everyone that I’d been talking to. Then I say to the person who told me I didn’t have anything in my teeth, “Why did you tell me there was nothing there, when there was something clearly there?” They always say, “Oh…I didn’t see anything.” Uh-huh…

Anyway, I tell people. Because it may seem embarassing, but it’s better in the scheme of things, IMO.

I would not tuck a stranger’s tag in if it was sticking out, though. that’s crossing a line. It’s a personal space thing with me…

stinkerbell August 2, 2004 at 4:51 am

me and my gal pals have a “method” for the whole food in teh teeth thing.
you ask hows your mom? and that is code for look at my teeth is there shit in them?

Betsy August 3, 2004 at 10:55 am

Definitely tell them if its your friend. If its not, just chuckle.