His Truth Is Marching On

by statia on June 9, 2004

I’m watching President Reagans body arrive at the Capitol right now, on TV. It’s really weird to have him being paraded around the country, lying in state. It’s like a sideshow, with everyone taking pictures from the street. They mentioned that his casket weighs 400 pounds.

Ok, now an embalmed body can’t weigh that much, right? I mean, it’s just a shell. I never realized a casket weighed that much.

LT June 9, 2004 at 9:18 pm

I was in the gym watching it on all the tvs. What a depressing thing to be watching at the gym! I’m trying to get all motivated to do my run and every time I look up, there’s poor Nancy Reagan’s face.

Adelle June 9, 2004 at 10:58 pm

I cannot say I have ever lifted one, but my female cousin once was a pallbearer for my great-grandmother. She almost fell over trying to lift that thing. I have seen grown, strong men look like they were going to pass out even!

Kevin June 10, 2004 at 8:56 am

When I was a pallbearer, the casket weighed about 600 pounds, according to the funeral home guy. He had to have us all practice with a demo casket that was loaded up with some water drums to get used to the weight.

I re-watched the Tivo and I think they said the Reagan casket was in excess of 700 pounds. I would say that’s about right. It’s probably a pretty nice model. Those things aren’t light.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Unrelated: What’s up with Peter Jennings?! Twice last night he made specific mention of how white the crowd was. As they were playing Amazing Grace and carrying the President’s casket he noted that there were “very few African Americans in attendance”. WTF?! I can respect that Reagan may not be loved by everyone, but I hardly think it’s the “right time” to discuss it during the funeral ceremonies, is it?!

shaunacat June 10, 2004 at 9:25 am

Those things are extremely heavy…not only are they carrying ‘dead weight’ (which feels a lot heavier than live weight) but they are usually made out of steel and other materials like that. I think that’s how they justify the incredibly high prices for the damn things. It’s really sad…

Deltus June 10, 2004 at 10:12 am

Been a pall bearer for a few funerals. They’re just damed heavy. And I find the parading around of the body to be a touch macabre.

As for Peter Jennings, he lost credibility as an unbiased, professional journalist a while ago. He has such a blatantly obvious left-leaning political bent. Remember the 2000 elections? When Gore was shown during one of the polls, he said a few times things like, “We’re in the lead.” Not that he’s not entitled to his opinion and politics, but when you’re a journalist, you’re *supposed* to keep it under your hat, at least when you’re on air. Sad, really.

Sara June 10, 2004 at 2:20 pm

I heard on the radio this morning that the casket was made out of solid Mahogany and weighed over 700 lbs.

BillH June 11, 2004 at 12:03 am

I’ve had the sad priviledge of being pall bearer for both of my grandmothers and one of my grandfathers. None of the three were very large people, but those caskets were fricken heavy. It took six of us each time and I am glad it wasn’t any less than six.