So eat it, just eat it.

by statia on May 12, 2004

This week has been a test of my wills. Having tired on no less than 30 pairs of pants this week, and ending up frustrated, I knew I had to do something about it. I’m at a loss as to why I look worse after going to the gym four days a week for seven months. Sure I’ve gained muscle, but the fat, yeah, that’s still there. None of my pants fit me, and I can’t find any that look right. I try to be food concious, but maybe I’m missing something. This week was the last straw, and I decided to just really bear down and get that 10lbs off. Actually, I don’t even know if it’s ten pounds. I go by the pants rule. If my pants are comfortable, that’s when I’m ok. I don’t own a scale. Owning a scale almost killed me. If I could show you pictures of what I looked like five years ago, it was disgusting. I wasn’t healthy. My body hurt. The chemical imbalances in my brain was just too much to handle. After going off all this week, I know I worried a certain someone that I would end up back where I was then. After getting healthy again, there’s no way I want to be back where I was five years ago. If I had kept up that pace, I wouldn’t be here today. There’s no doubt in my mind about that. Malnourishment is not fun. Sure, I’ll be buckling down, and working out harder, and probably cutting back on a few calories, but I know that I don’t want to starve myself. I get way too food cranky, and besides, I don’t know that my ADD self has the mental capacity to remember not to eat.

M@ May 12, 2004 at 8:43 am

I forget to not eat all the time. I see food and I’m eating it long before I even realize it. I think cleaning out all of the junk in the house would probably help.

Ari May 12, 2004 at 8:55 am

Strange Item. I recently have put on the weight and went for my physical (as i turn 30) and I found somethng bizzare. My thyroid is F**ed up. SO I am putting on the weight, and not taking any off and its not because I am easting wrong, or not excersizing, its because of a medical condition. If you go to the doctor talk to him or her about it. Its always a possibility and is more common then you might htink.

sporty May 12, 2004 at 9:13 am

Eh, I just had my yearly physical, with a complete blood work up. My bloodwork was totally normal.

Kevin May 12, 2004 at 10:32 am

Still with the pants?! I thought we had moved on to all skirts, all the time. ((sigh))

theresa May 12, 2004 at 11:17 am

i feel like i’ve been putting on a few extra pounds lately too because my pants are feeling tighter. and that pisses me off because i just went out and bought all new smaller pants becuase i lost 15lbs and all my pants were too big. a girl can’t win!

fleecey May 12, 2004 at 12:55 pm

i am the same way. i was at a point about 8 years ago now where i was borderline anorexic, so i started eating again. now, i’m like ten pounds overweight, and you’re right, the gym sometimes just seems to make it worse! i have all this muscle, but still a huge layer of fat on top. so now i’m trying to do the whole eat-three-meals-a-day-but-don’t-eat-any-fats-or-carbs-after-7-p.m. deal. i hope it works. otherwise, i’m robbing a bank to get liposuction.

Princess May 12, 2004 at 4:43 pm

Well, just to warn you, the thyroid thing does run in our family. My grandmother was hyperthyroid and I, true to form, am hypothyroid – means my metabolic hormones are outta whack, causing me to not lose weight or even gain it. (And I thought I was just having newlywed complacency issues.)
Since this is really bugging you, why don’t you keep a food journal and then go see a nutritionist – maybe you’re not getting the right combination of stuff.

Kevin May 12, 2004 at 4:59 pm

On that thyroid thing, I always came back OK on my physicals and blood work. And then — because my doctor specifically asked — I mentioned that my mother was on thyroid medicine. (He was actually asking in relation to my HDL cholesteral {sp?} being so low.)

Until you do a hormone test for T3, T4, and whatever the other T one is, you don’t know you’re thyroid levels.

At least for men, it ain’t part of the standard workup.

Pamela May 12, 2004 at 10:09 pm

I was going to say the same thing- thyroid. Sounds like a case of slowed down metabolism, or hypothyroidism.
I agree with Kevin- get your T3 T4 and the TSH checked.
It isn’t in the usual blood test.
One low dose pill, and your energy returns, and weight is easier lost. Also, take vitamins with calcium.