Hijacked!!!

by statia on May 24, 2004

Fuckin’ hell.

There’s no better way to spend your monday morning than to have been browser hijacked. Seriously, I’m not computer illiterate, and shit usually never gets past me. Somehow, something snuck in the back door and hijacked the shit out of my browser, and even going through the registry, I can’t seem to pinpoint one last piece of spyware. Anyone know what 404search would be in the registry? I uninstalled it in my control panel, as well as a bunch of other shit that happened along my computer. From doing nothing I might add.

I feel so dirty and violated.

*scrubs self in shower with bristle brush*

Fucking spyware.

jay May 24, 2004 at 10:18 am

Get adaware and spybot, they should rid you of the nasties.

theresa May 24, 2004 at 10:41 am

If you know the name of the evil spyware, symantec.com may be able to help you out. Go to the search page (http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/search.html), and see if you can find your brand of evil spyware. If you can find it, I’m sure Symantec will tell you how to remove it. Good Luck!

jewdez May 24, 2004 at 10:57 am

I second the adware & spybot, they’ve saved my arse a time or two

Deltus May 24, 2004 at 11:19 am

I third the adware and spybot recommendation. If you can find a popular third spyware remover, run it, too.

BTW, your comments in the pop-up box give an error with every keystroke in the Comment: field.

sporty May 24, 2004 at 12:00 pm

I’ve tried both of those and it’s not gettign rid of the problem. As for the error…. yeah, I have no idea what it is, unless I know the error, in the meantime, you can try posting a comment in the permalink.

nastybastard May 24, 2004 at 12:57 pm

Spybot didn’t work? Did you download the latest updates? Worked like a charm for getting rid of it in my brother’s computer.

skits May 24, 2004 at 2:22 pm

HiJack This will TOTALLY get rid of it. I got hit by one once, and it was the only thing that helped. I use adaware as well, but it can’t always hit the shit that gets into your registry. You have to know what you’re looking for, but there are tutorials for it (I don’t have the link here, though–I’m at work). You could probably google it. :)

skits May 24, 2004 at 2:24 pm

Sigh. I screwed up the URL. Let me try it again.

Here.

ed May 24, 2004 at 4:39 pm

i had this happen once too. take a look at your hosts file — it probably made an adjustment there to point a particular site — like google, for example — to a different IP address.

totally sucks.

spybot search and destroy and spyware guard totally rock — they don’t even let shit like this (BHO’s) download in the first place…totally lock your shit down.

dave May 24, 2004 at 9:07 pm

I typically use this for my spyware hunts:

It doesn’t act like Spybot Search & Destroy or AdAware (total crap) by removing the offending material automatically. This one tells you what you have and explains to you how to remove it yourself. This way you learn about what any of these bugs may do.

boots May 24, 2004 at 11:27 pm

I second HijackThis. I also would like to recommend Spy Sweeper as an alternative to Ad-aware and SpyBot. Reading this article might help you solve your problems if you haven’t already.

robyn May 26, 2004 at 9:17 am

You, too? eZula and all its nasty cousins got me all at once last Friday. Thankfully the Mr. only beat me with a wet noodle for it (and I kinda liked it)…

Dan May 27, 2004 at 4:03 am

You can stop yourself from getting infected if you use a better browser, such as Firefox (free, Open Source)

hope that helps