Gas, it’s natural

by statia on May 18, 2004

How sad is it when you’re actually excited that you filled your tank up for less than 50 bucks ($49 to be exact, but still, it’s under fifty)? And that’s of the cheap stuff. How much more sad is it that you were excited that gas was only 1.99?

Void in California.

amber May 18, 2004 at 2:05 pm

About as sad as I was when I realized that with my new SUV, my price tag per fill-up doubled.

Paul May 18, 2004 at 2:30 pm

I know $2/gallon seems bad but I was in Peru a couple weeks ago and the lowest grade was $2.46 PER LITER.

That’s $9.85 PER GALLON. And yet the traffic was more conjested than Chicago. Go figure.

Princess May 18, 2004 at 3:02 pm

$2.19 – $2.29 for the cheap stuff in Seattle. Never thought it’d take $20 to fill my MOFO CIVIC.

nastybastard May 18, 2004 at 3:11 pm

It’s only a 1.79 here… but since this is a tourist trap, up near where I live I’ve seen the prices rise to 1.92.

theresa May 18, 2004 at 3:36 pm

Gas around here is only $1.79/gallon, and my car gets kickass gas milage! I win! :)

fran May 18, 2004 at 4:37 pm

Ha! I was just about to rip on your until I hit the extended entry…. :P

Kevin May 18, 2004 at 6:59 pm

Wait. Are we talking about the milk thing again?

sledge May 18, 2004 at 11:10 pm

I’m in the same boat as Princess – I have a Civic and it freaks me out to have to pay $20 to fill it up.

Why, I remember when gas was 99 cents a gallon – AND WE LIKED IT!
;)

Natalie May 19, 2004 at 1:49 am

In my day, gas cost 29 cents a gallon, milk was delivered to your door and you could go to the motion picture show for less than a dime–AND you got a whole bag of candy to boot!

Of course, I had to walk to school up hill both ways, through the snow, with holes in my shoes, so I guess it all evens out…

robyn May 20, 2004 at 1:36 am

I never had to pull a “back in my day” speech until the damn gas prices went up!

mike May 20, 2004 at 3:53 am

natalie dated herself with the expression ‘motion picture show’. that’s up there with ‘horseless carriage’.

gas is $3.50 a gallon up here – for the low test stuff (87 octane).

for the high end, it costs me $55 to fill my VW.

here’s the thing: ‘highest barrel price in 12 years!!!’ says the news – except that 12 years ago, gas was only 0.55/litre and now it’s 0.85/litre.

i’m all for free market, but this ain’t no free market.

tricia May 20, 2004 at 9:12 pm

Also void in Mass. Gas is anywhere from $2.03 to $2.23. I think I’ll walk to work.