What’s simple is true.

by statia on April 1, 2004

In an attempt to simplify my life, I started some spring cleaning. When I moved, I left my desk behind. Actually, it was my landlords desk, and I could have taken it, but I didn’t really have the room for it. Since moving, I’ve been completely unorganized, and as a result frustrated, and annoyed. I said to myself, S, it’s time to get your shit together, and unload it all. So last night was that first big key to getting it done. All of my important papers were now either piling up in a basket, or sitting in a rubbermaid contaner. How long do you normally keep that stuff anyway? It took me two hours last night, but I cleaned out the basket and the rubbermaid container. I had things like old bank statements, and electric bills from 2000, and 2001. It was high time I went through and got rid of it all. It’s a slow process at getting reorganized again, but it’s getting there. Most of my stuff is now online as well, so this also keeps the need for a paper trail to a minimum. I feel so light and with it again. Maybe that was my ADD problem. I need to just get organized a little better.

I finally feel like I’m tunneling out, and it feels good.

theresa April 1, 2004 at 9:58 am

getting a little crate and a bunch of hanging folders to organize all of my paperwork was the best thing i ever did. now i have a quick and easy way to store and sort old bills, tax paperwork, medical records, whatever.

tony April 1, 2004 at 10:06 am

I usually save my papers until about 5 minutes before the Feds come knocking on the door. Then its good bye receipts, hello bonfire!!!

Actually, I was a horrible packrat, until I bought a paper shredder. I’d say that statements and bills can probably be tossed after a year, if sooner, and definitely if they’re from old apartments or whatever.

buddha April 1, 2004 at 10:16 am

I’m the worst pack rat of them all. To make matters even worse I tend to think I’m organized but in reality..I’m not. I could have the best filing system setup for me…file cabinets..file hangers..etc..and I’d still throw my tax returns on the floor or on the desk.

Maybe that’s my ONE character flaw.

kat April 1, 2004 at 10:31 am

Why do you save utility bills at all? I pay the bill, wait until the next one shows up to make sure they credited me for the amount I paid and then toss the old paid bill and keep the new one. One months billing cycle is all I ever keep. Why do you keep them so long if they are paid and you know you paid them. You have your bank statements as proof you paid those bills too. I don’t understand. Am I doing the whole paper hoarding thing wrong?

huy April 1, 2004 at 10:58 am

We went through a binge and purge phase a while ago. I think we found stuff from 1998. Yeeeaaah, we’re not pack rats. We’re more like pack camels.

And “S”? What happened to “Sporty”?

nastybastard April 1, 2004 at 12:02 pm

I’m guilty of storing old bills forever too… I would think that if all your bills are online now, it would even be more important to keep paper records.

Maybe it’s just me.

Lisa April 1, 2004 at 10:36 pm

I keep papers for a few years (2-3 maybe).

And that desk? It was ugly. You didn’t want it. And it probably would have been a bitch to move.