Idolize my ass

by statia on April 14, 2004

I will never understand the reality tv phenomenom. Most of all, I’ll never understand the whole American Idol thing. People talk about this show like it’s the second coming of Christ, and then proceed to look at me when I tell them I don’t like it. Like they’re all bummed that they have no one to stand around the water cooler with. You should see how much worse it gets when I tell them I don’t even like the show. That’s right. I.hate.American.Idol. With the burning firey passion. Peg me with stones. I’m not really a fan of the whole trainwreck, and I find watching it to be like watching football. I have people who will repeatedly ask me every week if I watch American Idol. It’s like they’re in denial and at the same time, hoping that I’m just in denial. Hell, I even left Mac’s house promptly as the show started one week.

I seriously can’t wait until reality tv dies.

grace April 14, 2004 at 10:10 pm

I’m not totally anti-reality-tv, after all I have been watching Days of Our Lives since college, heh! But I do agree that most of it just sucks. I don’t think I’ve watched more than 15 total minutes of A.I., including the endless footage of William Hung or whatever his name is.

Empress April 14, 2004 at 10:21 pm

I’ve never watched one episode of American Idol. Nor have I ever watched Survivor or Fear Factor or My Big Fat Obnoxious Fiance (or whatever that was called) or The Swan or Big Brother or even Real World. None of them. I don’t understand the draw!

I seriously can’t wait until reality tv dies.

You and me both!

(OK – I did watch King of the Jungle but that was only because I got to see Jeff Corwin every once in a while on that show!)

Solonor April 14, 2004 at 10:33 pm

Sing it, sistah!!!!

theresa April 14, 2004 at 10:44 pm

hahahaha i watch american idol AND football! i could do without the reality part of american idol, i just love hearing them sing. i boycotted it the first year, but then i just gave in. it’s much easier to stomach if you only watch the episode where they sing (as opposed to the one where they kick someone off).

sledge April 14, 2004 at 11:08 pm

The only good part of AI would be the auditions – after that, I don’t watch it.

And for the record – I watch college football, but hate the NFL. go figure.

wheezy joe April 15, 2004 at 8:12 am

I pretty much agree with theresa, that it’s the singing that draws me to the show. But I do watch the results shows as well, under duress from my wife. If it were up to me I would skip to the last two minutes to see who gets booted.

Have no fear, I won’t ask you if you watched last night, or tonight. But…isn’t John Stevens just the worst ever? :)

Kevin April 15, 2004 at 8:36 am

Next thing you know you’ll be saying that you don’t like p0rn.

Mac April 15, 2004 at 9:21 am

Don’t worry, I won’t hold it against you. *grin*

Princess April 15, 2004 at 11:40 am

THANK YOU!!! I’m also waiting for the craze to die off (that and the Atkins hysteria). I must admit that I do love reading Sarah’s takes on HS Reunion – but that’s because her perspective is fucking hilarious.

nastybastard April 15, 2004 at 12:23 pm

Hey wait a minute. I thought you said that Diet Coke with Lime was the second coming of Christ?

Steve April 16, 2004 at 8:27 am

My wife watches AI, and I just don’t get it either. I don’t understand the popularity of the show, because I can’t stand it. And I know some people watch it for the singing, but you know what, they’re really not that good. My friend does DJ’ing/karaoke’ing for some extra cash, and in reality, there’s a couple people at even the grungiest bar that are just as good, or better, then these folks. Bleh!