I pod you pod, we all pod

by statia on April 19, 2004

Last month, I got a brand spankin’ new pink ipod. It’s the best thing ever. Since getting it though, I only have about 136 songs on there. It holds 1000 songs. I can’t think of anything off the top of my head right now that I want to put on there. So I need your help. I generally use it at the gym. I do have some slow songs on there, but I’m looking for some upbeat stuff. Nothing like, death metal or anything. I don’t need to be racing along on the elliptiotard™ at mach speed and then proceed to keel over from a heart attack. No Justin, or boy bands, or Christina, et.al. Just some good tunes to work out to.

Go.

wheezy joe April 19, 2004 at 4:16 pm

Any kind of lounge techno usually works well. The BPM is lower than regular techno, yet still nice and beaty. Specific groups are Jazzanova, Thievery Corporation and Tosca, but your best bet is to find a compilation from Cafe del Mar, OM Lounge or even MTV Lounge.

Sir Henry April 19, 2004 at 4:18 pm

I still stand by my Muppetfucker recommendation. :-D

Paul April 19, 2004 at 4:18 pm

The Posies – Solar Sister
Phantom Planet – Big Brat
Ben Harper (Live only) – Glory and Consequence

Nada Surf – The Way You Wear Your Head

The Cult – She Sells Sanctuary

Maggie April 19, 2004 at 4:30 pm

I’m very jealous – we don’t get access to the minis until July (although, since I have an original 5GB pod, it probably doens’t make sense for me to get another 5GB pod just because it’s pink – the 20 or 40 would make more sense).

I’m tremendously lazy, but found myself skipping along on a walk yesterday while listening to the songs of New Order – Substance. It’s all very retro, but much of the Talking Heads – True Stories album is pretty useful too.

The important parts (for me) are fast tempo (ideally, a drum machine) and that the song be in a major key – minors trigger depression for me. That rules out a lot of the Substance disc, but for the ones that are major, the other bonus is that many of the songs are 6+ minutes long.. so you don’t have to keep adjusting your workout to a new speed.

buddha April 19, 2004 at 4:46 pm

Josie and the Pussycats…

girls in catsuits playing music gets my heartrate going everytime I run..

grrrrr….

tony April 19, 2004 at 4:48 pm

I hate hate hate elliptiotards. Always drooling everywhere, thinking they’re big and bad with their hockey helmets on…

Oh, and since I don’t like exercise, I have nothing pertinent to add to this conversation. Good luck!

me April 19, 2004 at 6:27 pm

Dude, that muppetfucker song will give me a heart attack. You don’t want me to die do you? :o P

munin April 19, 2004 at 6:36 pm

Nina Simone, though i’m not sure that’s good work out music. i fond i use music from certain soundtracks for that. currently “bring it on” what?!? it’s not that bad. honestly. ;o)

will give our list a looksies and see what will be good.

Pamela April 19, 2004 at 6:45 pm

LTD- Back in Love Again
McFadden & Whitehead- Ain’t No Stoppin’ Us Now
Tangerine Dream- Dream of Techno
James Brown- Get Up Off That Thing
Deep Forest & Enigma- Into Morocco
Rick James- Super Freak
Metroid Techno Mix, Nintendo- Tangerine Dream
Harold Melvin & the Blue Notes- BAD LUCK
Kraftwerk- Astral Projection
Mary J. Blige- Family Affair
Reversal of a Dog- Damian Dame
Anita Ward- Ring My Bell

A few of my favs…
Maybe a little old school, but checkitout!…
LOL ;^)

sledge April 19, 2004 at 7:49 pm

ready? go!

old-school Red Hot Chili Peppers
Bob Marley
Jurrasic 5
Garbage (first album)
both of U2′s Best Of’s
Doves
Travis
Soul Coughing
Fat Boy Slim
…and i’d list more, except I’d write a novel. Yes, I Am A Music Geek.

BJ April 19, 2004 at 8:32 pm

I?m kind of a music geek too, and I LOVE listening to it while I?m working out. Here?s a few that I really like:
Adam Ant ? Goody Two Shoes
Nikka Costa ? Everybody Got Their Something
Paul Simon – Me and Julio Down By the Schoolyard
Ramones – I Wanna Be Sedated
Robin S – Show Me Love
Spinners – Rubberband Man
Violent Femmes – Blister in the Sun

Sorry, guess I got a little carried away. Hopefully you can find something out of that eclectic mix that will lead you to other songs you?d forgotten about.

ed April 19, 2004 at 9:06 pm

Filter – Title of Record. Great album, upbeat, but not kill your parents. ;-)

Hey, are you getting any static on that thing? I read some articles that said that some iPod mini users were reporting that back to Apple..? it was on news.com a week or two ago..

Feisty Girl April 19, 2004 at 11:07 pm

Daniel Bedingfield, Gotta Get Thru This. Funky. :)

robyn April 20, 2004 at 1:00 am

Well you know I think everyone needs a little Weezer in their life — so you must get “The Good Life” on there. I be-bop around the house to that all the time. Think of me when you download it. And do it for the children.

Mac April 20, 2004 at 9:59 am

Almost anything by Moby is good to work out to…and also anything by Lords of Acid.

kimberlee April 20, 2004 at 1:59 pm

Touch It by Monifa always makes me wanna move!

amber April 20, 2004 at 3:32 pm

Anything by New Order…

Wendy April 20, 2004 at 5:02 pm

Stroke 9 – Little Black Backpack
The Strokes – Last Night
N.E.R.D. – anything on their “In Search Of…” album (Lapdance, is a personal fave)
Black Eyed Peas – Let’s Get Retarded

fran April 20, 2004 at 8:12 pm

How about the flashdance soundtrack….

she’s a maniac, maniac….

You’ve been know to be a little crazy every once in a while afterall…:P

Oh man, I am drooling at your IPOD, I NEED one…BAD….I can’t believe I still haven’t bought one yet (well, had to buy a video cam first….)

Pamela April 21, 2004 at 2:25 am

2 more I forgot…
Def’nilly old school, but happ’nin.

Got to give it up pt.1- Marvin Gaye
Don’t ride the white horse- The Gap Band

Cobby April 21, 2004 at 6:51 am

Some Incubus perhaps?

todd April 23, 2004 at 11:25 am

I make that Elipt-o-whatever-you-call-it, my bitch daily. I have a gym at work, we use Precor Elipt-o’s and they are faboo….

I also have an Ipod, not a mini though, a third generation 15gb … anyway…. I have everything from Abba to Zappa.

For the gym though, I typically listen to high energy dance (trance, house, vocal house, ect…) becuase it’s the only thing that I can get a good rhythm to….

That’s usually….

- Paul Oakenfold
- Ministry of Sound (dot com)
- Paul van Dyk ( that’s right van Dyk)
- or just about anything with good vocals and a great beat.

lisa April 23, 2004 at 8:42 pm

personally my favorite cd that I find myself constantly listening to and I can’t help it is the 3 doors down, away from the sun. Every song on that album is wicked awesome. I don’t work out (as u know!) but I always have it on when I throw (on the wheel… u know, ceramics) and I end up making some pretty good pieces. GO ME!

Allie June 5, 2004 at 4:04 pm

heyy

so you want to fill up your ipod. here are just a few recomendations that i have been listening to lately. i am only going to recomend about two per artist so that i am not writing all day b/c my playlist at the moment is over 1000 songs.

daniel beddingfield – gotta get through this (acoustic)
RHCP – this velvet glove
RHCProlling stones – shattered
rolling stones – under my thumb
jump little children – cathedrals
jump little children – come around
howie day – you and a promise
howie day – ill take you on
the rasmus – in the shadows
modest mouse – float on
counting crows – accidentally in love
counting crows – st. robinson and his cadillac dream
ok go – 1000 miles an hour
ok go – get over it
our lady peace – 4am
our lady peace – sorry
peter gabriel – solsbury hill
tonic – mean to me
tonic – sugar

ok thats all at the moment that im hardcore obsessed with. ill post next week with some more. :D have a good one!

- – aLLie – -

BillH July 13, 2004 at 2:56 am

Go to the website http://www.spatterdashonline.com/ and download all their songs! I designed the web site (the lead singer is my boss in his 9-5 gig) and put up their entire second CD for download. Rock-ON!

i told you, my name is not sexy July 29, 2004 at 12:50 pm

if you like female singer/songwriters with an emphasis on lyrical content and excellent vocals, try some or all of these: rachael yamagata, nina nastasia, catherine feeny, kathleen edwards, trespassers william, venus hum, the be good tanyas, frou frou, rosie thomas, patty griffin’s latest.

i hope i don’t suck.

LOUP August 14, 2004 at 2:15 am

*looking at my ipod*

I have a lot of John Huling but that really isn’t workout kinda music. I have a lot of stuff by BLUE / Booze Monkey. They are friends but also pretty talented. I dig Something Borrowed Something a lot.

livie August 16, 2004 at 1:53 am

Most of Jet’s cd, Get Born, is good for the gym. I recommend all of their songs, but there are 2 or 3 ballads so if you’re dling dont get ‘move on’ or ‘look what youve done’.

Frou Frou’s cd Details: ‘let go’, ‘breathe in’, ‘hear me out’, ‘shh’

Franz Ferdinand- their whole cd is very pumped rock and roll, good fun.

Amanda November 17, 2004 at 11:29 am

They – Jem
1999 – Prince
You Get What you Give – New Radicals
(I know you said No Christina but “Lady Marmalade” has got a great beat – From Moulin Rouge soundtrack.)
Wanna Be Startin’ Something – Michael Jackson
Train from Kansas City – Neko Case
Ray of Light – Madonna
Bang the Drum – Todd Rundgren
Elevation – U2

Jimmi Chew January 9, 2005 at 11:20 am

For workin’ out? It’s gotta be Flashdance by Deep Dish.

RaRa January 27, 2005 at 10:02 am

I like to get music you can’t find much anymore. It’s 80′s music all the way. Everything was pony-tails and bouncy-bounce. If that doesn’t get you moving, try some fun songs. I recently acquired Julie Brown’s “Everybody Run. . .” from Dr. Demento.